Old 10-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #1

City: La Conner
Bow thruster

We’ve decided that after all these years we need a bow thruster on our CHB34. Can any of you recommend someone who has done the job for you? The boat is in Everett WA but I’m willing to travel from Tacoma to Bellingham to get a good job done. Thanks everyone.
jlhegland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Not sure about the West coast, but on the East coast there are companies that will come to your boatyard to do the complete install. That's all they do. If you don't find a boatyard that does it, contact the manufacturer of the unit you want, for a list of installers.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Kaniksu
Vessel Model: Roughwater 41
Bellingham Marine Repair supplies and installs bow thrusters. I just had them replace all thru hulls, glass over obsolete thru hulls, plumbing, new bilge pumps, bottom paint etc. Good folks.
Kaniksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 01:51 AM   #4

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Custom 56' Skookum trawler
I had La conner maritime install one on my last 40' aluminum boat and was pretty happy with the results. Their price was way better than the other bids I got. They were a little weak on the project management side of things, and I ended up spending a lot of time there making sure no balls got dropped. I appreciated that at the end, the bill was exactly what they had bid, and they didn't try and tach on any extras.
Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Nostra Casa
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler 44
Definitely recommend CSR in Seattle. They installed my bow and Stern thrusters. They do a ton of them from all manufacturers. I have had them for 6 years under regular use from Seattle to Alaska. Not required for sure but the best addition to single handling which I do often and docking with wind and current in tight quarters. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	121831Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	121832Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	121833
kwestby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #6

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapdragon III View Post
I had La conner maritime install one on my last 40' aluminum boat and was pretty happy with the results. Their price was way better than the other bids I got. They were a little weak on the project management side of things, and I ended up spending a lot of time there making sure no balls got dropped. I appreciated that at the end, the bill was exactly what they had bid, and they didn't try and tach on any extras.
We had La Conner Maritime install a stern thruster on our old boat. When we went to pick it up, they said the estimate had been off a little. The price we agreed on was $1,500 high. We wound up paying less than the estimate. We’ve been very happy with their work and responsiveness.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhegland View Post
We’ve decided that after all these years we need a bow thruster on our CHB34. Can any of you recommend someone who has done the job for you? The boat is in Everett WA but I’m willing to travel from Tacoma to Bellingham to get a good job done. Thanks everyone.
I assisted a friend in the installation of a BT into his Mainship 34 MK 1 or 2, whatever. The manufacturer sent a kit including the motor and controls, cabling, and the tube along with instructions on how to scribe and cut the holes in the hull. Once we had cut the holes and aligned and cut the tube with motor attached, a professional fiberglass man (who had been consulted before we began) was called in the do all the glass work. A BUNCH of installation money was saved.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #8

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Order it now. I ordered a Vetus 120lb 12v thruster in March and it will be delivered in about a week.

The tunnel, joystick, control cable, and fuse block took a week…
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote