Bought our first trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "old way" of lubricating a chain was to use heavy greese and heat it in a doubble boiler pan set.

When at 212F the grease is thin so the chain is dropped in , and the pan set removed from the heat.

When cool the chain is removed (with the melted grease in place between the chains working surfaces) and lightly wiped to prevent dust from sticking to the outside of the chain.

Modern chain might not need this treatment , but lots of old steering chain might.

Sounds like we're in the same business. Any chance there's a Pizza joint next to the salt mine? If so, sounds like you're sitting where my boat was when I bought her. :thumb: :)

Guilty on both. Love that pizza place. I'll miss it if I head back inland.

The "old way" of lubricating a chain was to use heavy greese and heat it in a doubble boiler pan set.

When at 212F the grease is thin so the chain is dropped in , and the pan set removed from the heat.

When cool the chain is removed (with the melted grease in place between the chains working surfaces) and lightly wiped to prevent dust from sticking to the outside of the chain.

Modern chain might not need this treatment , but lots of old steering chain might.

The PO bought a titanium chain that isn't supposed to require a bunch of lubrication. I haven't spent the time researching it to see exactly what it needs yet.

I've got hydraulic steering now, and my sailboat has a tiller, so I haven't had to deal with steering chain for years. Even then it was chain and cable.

Exactly. And since its splash lubed there should be no need to over fill the transmission. Especially since when the transmission is not under pressure the oil in the cooler would in most cases drain back into the transmission. So the fluid would be over filled some what anyway.

My guess is the system is fine as is. No extra oil or cooling needed.

Your guess is not agreeing with recommendations of some marine transmission manufacturers:
Ie - (From “Velvet-Drive”:
It has been determined by tests and practical experience that all Velvet Drive marine transmissions call be free-wheeled without risking damage in sailing or trolling applications. Caution should be taken to be sure that proper oil level is maintained prior to freewheeling as well as normal running. Freewheeling one propeller of a twin engine boat at trolling speeds will not cause damage to the transmission connected to the freewheeling propeller.
Extended periods of free-wheeling at high speeds may cause the transmission to overheat; therefore, it is recommended that transmission sump temperature be monitored and free-wheeling discontinued whenever 230 degrees F or 111 degrees C is reached.)

In this case the presumption is that the propeller shaft is driven by the auxiliary engine with speed higher then "trolling speed" more than 3knts for extended period of time.

On MG-509 the recommendation is not to freewheel over 8hrs.
But again, it's your boat you can experiment as much as you'll like.
:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom