KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
RE: Bottom Job

Quote:
Larry M wrote:

We clean the bottom every 3-5 weeks based on where we are anchored and*if we have a passage coming up.**It's amazing the difference in the amount of growth vs how fertile the water is.**The bottom is painted with Trinidad SR.*

The bottom isn't the issue as much as the*propeller, rudder (SS) and rudder shoe (SS).***We've tried everything but*Prop-Speed (expensive).* It takes us about 45 minutes to do the bottom including the water line.* That 1/4 to 1/2 knot we get with a clean bottom is worth the effort for us, plus the water is usually in the 80's.* We use*a 1 hp AC oi-less air compressor with 60 feet of air hose.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Huatulco, Oaxaco, MX
I know I'm gonna sound really stupid on this one, but here goes.

You are diving to do the bottom aren't you?* I haven't heard of diving with a* compressed air rig.*Sounds like a pretty good alternative to scrapping*or scrubbing while diving. *Where do you have the compressor located? *Are*you doing the diving yourselves?* I've been in Mexican waters and I know how warm it is, but can you really get that much growth in 5 weeks?* *

KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #22

In NE Florida, clean bottom monthly, two coats of Sea Hawk ablative paint every 2 years. Boat is kept in salt water
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
KJ wrote:

..........I haven't heard of diving with a* compressed air rig.*Sounds like a pretty good alternative to scrapping*or scrubbing while diving. *Where do you have the compressor located? *Are*you doing the diving yourselves?* I've been in Mexican waters and I know how warm it is, but can you really get that much growth in 5 weeks?****
*Take a look at http://www.browniesthirdlunginfo.com...hird-lung.html*

We made ours for ~$250.* We just plug into an outlet and run it off the inverter or generator.

You would be amazed how much growth you get in 80 plus degree water that has a high nutrient load.** We've found that*it doesn't take much growth to loose*a 1/2*knot.* Hobo's full displacement and*that 1/2*knot*translates into*about a 5% performance loss.*
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #24
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Here is a site with information on "hooka" diving. there are also several other sites on building your own rig, search "hooka diving rig"

http://www.keeneengineering.com/pamp...howhookah.html

They recommend on anyone thinking of doing this still get scuba instruction regarless of how shallow you will be diving.
A side note I have Atrial fibrillation, my cardiologist recommended I not do any sort of compressed air diving Maybe over cautious??
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Ed, thank for the information.* To cold and wet to pull, I usually pull in June/July when the weather is reasonable warm/dry.* *Being Everett is Brackish and the first to 2 to 3 ft is fresh its the bottom ½ of the hull, mainly the keel and the running gear that get the growth.* *This year going to have 3 more through hulls filled in, check the dripless and maybe paint the hull below the rub rail.* So will be out about 2 weeks.*

Eric, great picture of your boat on a grid. Before we head up your way, I plan on adding twin keels to the Eagle so it will stand up right on a grid for inspection and/or repairs as I am planning on going a ground a couple of times with the big tide swings.***Well, since we are going to be here for 6 to 8 hours may as well clean the hull and running gear.* * *
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #26
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Larry M wrote:

You would be amazed how much growth you get in 80 plus degree water that has a high nutrient load.
First, I think we should deputize someone to go to Mexico and make sure Larry is there and not posting from a trailer park outside of Scranton, PA.*

Second, Larry, what is your preferred method for attaching yourself to the boat for leverage when you're cleaning, and what kind of scrubber do you like to use?*

Thanks!

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

To hang on to the hull I use the window glass suction handles when cleaning/washing/varnishing/painting the hull from the dink. They are 5 buck at Harbor Freight. I think that is what the diver uses also.* *The Eagle hull sides are a straight up and down so I can brush/clean the bow, sides and sterns with a long pole with a brush.* Every 6 months the diver cleans the through hulls, prop/running gear and the heavier growth. **One month of the summer sunny growth is about equal to 9 months of cloud/rain, and muddy river run off growth.* ************
When the boat is pulled, I have the bottom pressure wash twice, the first to get the majority of the growth, then let it hang dry to see what is missed, and then a second time to get the remaining stuff that is missed.* That way it does not take as long to prep the hull to paint it.* *
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #28
Per
Guru

great info on the "hooka" diving, i always wondered if there is such a thing as breathable air in a can?
guess i could google it but you guys really deliver..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

First, I think we should deputize someone to go to Mexico and make sure Larry is there and not posting from a trailer park outside of Scranton, PA.*

Second, Larry, what is your preferred method for attaching yourself to the boat for leverage when you're cleaning, and what kind of scrubber do you like to use?*

Thanks!
Carl:* Send the the posse down.* The beers are cold and the waters warm.*

We don't attach our selves to the bottom of the boat.* When we are doing the rudder and prop, there's enough stuff to hang onto.* When we are doing the hull I use a 12" SS finishing sheetrock knife.* I*swim*along the sides and it's like mowing the grass.* Lena usually does the water line with a plastic scraper and this is the only area we might wipe down.* The professional bottom cleaners ($1.00/ft USD) use the course scotch pads but chew threw the boat paint pretty fast.* The bottoms do look good.*

I use a screw driver for the thru-hulls.* We weren't getting enough flow at the water maker's thru-hull one time.**Barnacles had taken up residence and*with the high water flow they flourished to the point*that I was starving the high pressure pump.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Huatulca, Oaxaco, MX*
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #30
KJ
El Capitan

Bottom Job

Quote:
Per wrote:

great info on the "hooka" diving, i always wondered if there is such a thing as breathable air in a can?
Per, there is a small tank that some scuba divers use as a backup or emergency air supply. It's used mainly by folks that are doing deep penetration on wreck dives and is mandatory for deep cave dives. It's referred to as a "pony" tank, and they are pretty expensive (around $200).* I would rather look into Larry's set up.** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 05:14:39 PM
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #31
KJ
El Capitan

Quote:
Steve wrote:

*A side note I have Atrial fibrillation, my cardiologist recommended I not do any sort of compressed air diving Maybe over cautious??
Steve W.
Do you have an AICD implant?***** KJ

Old 02-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #32
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

No implants. Just taking meds & coumadin doesn't cause me any trouble so far.
Steve
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Per
Guru

Quote:
KJ wrote:

Per wrote:

I would rather look into Larry's set up.** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 05:14:39 PM

ok, i looked at those on ebay, the price is pretty hefty but i gather you can piece it together on your own.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #34
KJ
El Capitan

Bottom Job

Quote:
Steve wrote:

No implants. Just taking meds & coumadin doesn't cause me any trouble so far.
Steve
I guess it's a question of how often you go into* A Fib.* You certainly don't want to be 60 ft down and have an episode.* You might want to check with the MD staff on the DAN (Diver Alert Network) and ask them, although most doc's are reluctant to second guess another doc.*I'm not sure what the compressed air factor is, unless it has to do with the movement of nitrogen in and out of the cells.* You might try just snorkeling for a while. *Also, you might want to ask*your cardiologist what he is basing his recommendation on.* He*might not have a good understanding of diving physiology. He might be going on just the exertion level.* ***** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 08:57:08 PM
Old 02-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #35
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Bottom Job

Steve,

Have you talked to your Doc about catheter ablation? Should you need more info send me a PM.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 11:13:06 PM
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote