Old 04-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Boston Tall Ships 2017

It turns out I'll be up that way when Tall Ships reaches Boston. I saw a route for their arrival on June 17 - and didn't keep it. Can't find it on line. As I recall, they sail in from the Northeast, proceed more or less West, and then turn south to docks in the harbor.

Here's the local knowledge question - If you were on land and without waterfront accomodations or a yacht club membership, where would be a good place to observe the ships' entrance?

Appreciate the help.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Quick lock in a boat rental.

At least I assume you're traveling by land at that time?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Yes, it'll be from the NE, coming in S of Deer Island and N of Long Island and Spectacle Island. I have the preliminary CG planning chart of the parade route in PDF format, just PM me with your e-mail address if interested.

I've never seen it from land, but usually with these types of events, the farther out you are the better chance of seeing them under full sail. On the other hand, the East Boston side might offer more places to watch from, closer up.

Probably the best way would be to buy a ticket on one of the excursion boats. No doubt they'll all be out there.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #4
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I'll PM you Tom - appreciate it. Thought about it, John, but for reasons stated below, don't think it will work.

The situation is a little more complicated. I'll be there with my brother who will be, at that time, in the aftermath of an intense chemo/rad treatment for the big C. This will be part of a "coming out" celebration for him. Based on all the input we can get, he should be able to travel in short bits (lives in NH) at that time, but will need recuperative breaks.

I've checked a lot of afloat options (definitely preferred if not for other issues), but once you're on the cruise boat - you're there for a 10 hour day. Not sure that will be tenable.

Second best is landside. I'll pack the binos.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: CT
The maybe a nice "windows on the world" meal indoors but ringside? Not cheap but less stressful.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote