Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Boston Area
Dual Helm shifter stiff... each one separately smooth?!?

This is a strange one.....

Older Morse dual shifters. Had the u bracket on the lower helm shifter that holds the cable slip.. ran up to flybridge used that one.
Went to fix and now if I have each station hooked up to the tranny by themselves they work really nice, perfect shifting.
When I have both cables( both helm shifters) on the tranny arm its so stiff that it won't shift? Is a push and pull going on?
Any ideas?
capeshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Because most twin engines are not counter rotating one transmission is shifted opposite of the other. With Morse controls you can set up each station to either push or pull when pushing levers forward. I would disconnect from tranny an see what happens when you push levers. If one extends and the other retracts while pushing levers forward you know your answer.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Because most twin engines are not counter rotating one transmission is shifted opposite of the other. With Morse controls you can set up each station to either push or pull when pushing levers forward. I would disconnect from tranny an see what happens when you push levers. If one extends and the other retracts while pushing levers forward you know your answer.
Valid point but I forgot to mention I am single screw. Will update my original post.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Guru

Doesn’t change the fact that the FB shifter could be pulling at the same time the downstairs is pushing. Some controls are set up so FB is connected to the downstairs instead of directly to the tranny.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
When my dual station did this replacement cables fixed it
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Doesn’t change the fact that the FB shifter could be pulling at the same time the downstairs is pushing. Some controls are set up so FB is connected to the downstairs instead of directly to the tranny.
Thanks Tiltrider, I have both ends of the 2 shifter cables right to the tranny arm..One from the fly bridge shifter one from shifter below. So would that still be a pull/ push scenario?
Old 10-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Guru

Disconnect both cables at the tranny. Push both levers forward. Look to see if both cables retract, extend or if one extends and one retracts. If the cables move opposite each othe than one is connected wrong at the controll end. If the both do the same thing then the cables are beginning to fail.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Disconnect both cables at the tranny. Push both levers forward. Look to see if both cables retract, extend or if one extends and one retracts. If the cables move opposite each othe than one is connected wrong at the controll end. If the both do the same thing then the cables are beginning to fail.
Thanks..as suspected they both move the same direction. Replaced the lower cable ..same problem. Will do the fly bridge one next. They seem fine?

Side note when a person is at each helm and "helps" the shifter they work fine.
Leading me to a arm, mechanism issue?

We could just always shift with 2 people
Appreciate your guys time and ideas. Will report back, let me know if anyone else has seen this. Has to be cable or shifter??
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #9
Guru

As Morse cables fail they start to bind up in the push mode first. By activating down stairs you are using the tranny to pull the up stairs cable. Replacing the FB cable will solve that issue. If not then you have an over forward issue in the upstairs control.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
As Morse cables fail they start to bind up in the push mode first. By activating down stairs you are using the tranny to pull the up stairs cable. Replacing the FB cable will solve that issue. If not then you have an over forward issue in the upstairs control.
Again, thanks for the info. Wasn't able to get to much done on it. Will just replace and see if that does it.

What do you mean by "over forward" as in shifter is slightly out of neutral?