Old 07-15-2020, 04:11 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. Why not? Idle hands are the Devil's plaything. Take a video. Then you'd have a movie trailer...

Old 07-15-2020, 08:02 AM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwg View Post
Will you please discuss the suitcase with the 24” speaker in it, along with how is this used and what to do you connect to it?

That is a “vintage” suitcase from the 70s that I turned into a speaker. The 17” woofer is ridiculously big; not really for better sound, but just because I though it looked cool. The system actually sounds pretty good though!

This is the amplifier:
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...pply--310-3000

Draws very few amps, and is powered by a small SLA 12v battery that has its own charger.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Make sure to put a good quality gasket around that hole. You could end up with rot there if you are not careful.

True. However the end of the tub drain is pretty long, like 5” so it will protrude through the floor quite a ways. But if the tub gasket leaks then yeah, the floor will get wet and rot eventually. The tub will not be actually mounted to the floor however so I will be able to check for leaks. It will remain removable so we can use it as a beer and wine chiller. [emoji51]
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8947.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	105033
Old 07-15-2020, 08:12 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Looks like a 12" or 16" speaker to me, plus a small tweeter. I'm wondering where the amp is that pushes it. My guess is it is the Dude's keyboard amp, and probably a dual use speaker system so he can blast some recordings while working/playing with his new travel trailer.

Nicely done, Dude & Jewel! I really like the interior a/c adaptation. Did you install a 30-amp shorepower connector?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

I installed a simple 15amp cord connection. The AC and battery charger will run off that easily, but not the water heater at the same time. The water heater has its own 15amp connection.

Name:	61483182708__A0C2E772-6236-4C0C-A9AE-0723BE342F49.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	105034
Old 07-15-2020, 09:05 AM   #25
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Great minds think (somewhat) alike

We bought a 5x8 cargo trailer and had it insulated with a side door and an egress window by the manufacturer. We had to go for a smaller trailer because our budget doesn't allow for a big hairy chested truck like yours.

While admittedly small, it takes less time to set up than a tent!

It has fulfilled our hopes for a Swiss Army knife solution bringing building supplies home, hauling heavy items for ourselves and family, and we've camped in it as well.

One thing we didn't plan on was its stealth function. We brought it home from southern BC last fall and were in the Jasper area when they closed down several large campgrounds for the winter. We spent one night in an overflow campground (a grim gravel parking lot affair) then spent a night parked on Jaspers main street where nobody bothered us at all. I guess we looked more like someone delivering/hauling something than someone camping illegally.

Another thing we didn't expect was all the friendly, smiling waves from people in passing vehicles and conversations we had with walkers and bicyclists when parked on the side of smaller roads with the back doors open and a small table set up for lunch.

Fun project, and will be snooping here for ideas.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:21 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I made canvas / screen panels for the rear and side doors for a friend that used his enclosed motorcycle hauling trailer for camping. Wish I took some pics but didnt. Easy & inexpensive way to get more light & air when temps are reasonable.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #27
Guru

Murray,

Yes! Great minds! [emoji6]

I started out thinking about the stealth functionality of it as well, maybe being able to park wherever and sleep and not have to worry about finding a campground. However, with all the windows and portholes and exterior plugs and things I’ve added it looks a little less stealthy. Also, it’s so hot here I would have to run my little Yamaha generator for the AC all night, and I’m not sure how “stealthy” that would be. It’s pretty quiet in eco-mode, but to run the AC it won’t stay in eco mode so it would be pretty annoying for someone close by to have to listen to all night.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 AM   #28
dwg

City: St. Louis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That is a “vintage” suitcase from the 70s that I turned into a speaker. The 17” woofer is ridiculously big; not really for better sound, but just because I though it looked cool. The system actually sounds pretty good though!

This is the amplifier:
https://www.parts-express.com/lepai-...pply--310-3000

Draws very few amps, and is powered by a small SLA 12v battery that has its own charger.

Great idea and I love the slim profile. As mentioned, being able to adapt as a keyboard amp as well as music would also be a great idea.
dwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwg View Post
Great idea and I love the slim profile. As mentioned, being able to adapt as a keyboard amp as well as music would also be a great idea.

Yeah it has a mini plug input so I could adapt that to the keyboard easily. Not that my playing needs to be amplified!
Old 07-15-2020, 01:06 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Along a similar line, I built 2 turtles (house on my back).

The first was built on an old Ford 9000 single axle gas engine tractor (think tractor trailer for in city deliveries). Took the 5th wheel off, built a deck on the frame rails and put a used 15' travel trailer (without the frame and wheels) on the deck. Below the deck in the back was a generator and trailer hitch to pull my 25' center console boat and trailer. It had heat off the engine, heat from a propane RV furnace and air conditioning with the generator. The town fathers of Hatteras, NC weren't really happy when the "Turtle" would arrive. Quite the conversation piece. I ran scuba charters out of Hatteras for the month of July.

Version 2.0 was a UD 2600 ("Dud") 24' box truck that I converted to haul human cargo to Florida. Visualize an 8' wide, 8' tall, 24' long space to work with. Removed the roll up back door, framed it and put a standard house door in the back. Furred out and insulated the walls and ceiling, then covered with half inch plywood. 6 bunks all the way forward with storage underneath. Then booth style seating on both sides with opening house windows over the tables. Floor was padded and carpeted for sound and heat insulation. It had heat off the engine, heat from an RV propane furnace and a window shaker air conditioner next to the back door that ran off the generator. There was a deck out back with trailer hitch below to haul the boat. And finally a bathroom on the right in the back. There was a boat style toilet with gate valve and 24 gallon stainless holding tank underneath. 6 guys going to Florida on a Manatee hunting trip, can drink a lot of beer in 15 hours.

Will have to see if pictures still exist for either. Pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired on all the outstanding warrants.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #31
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I like it. I have envisioned building something like this with motorcycle tie downs in it.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #32
Guru

Bored Covid project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I like it. I have envisioned building something like this with motorcycle tie downs in it.

I was going to put in some tie downs for motorcycles or whatever, and I still could, but after Jewel put in that floor I might wait until we use it for that. She likes her fancy floor and might not like some ugly tie downs sticking up.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #33
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

Will have to see if pictures still exist for either. Pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired on all the outstanding warrants.

Ted
For the manatees? Maybe not.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:41 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:

The first was built on an old Ford 9000 single axle gas engine tractor (think tractor trailer for in city deliveries). Took the 5th wheel off, built a deck on the frame rails and put a used 15' travel trailer (without the frame and wheels) on the deck. Below the deck in the back was a generator and trailer hitch to pull my 25' center console boat and trailer. It had heat off the engine, heat from a propane RV furnace and air conditioning with the generator. The town fathers of Hatteras, NC weren't really happy when the "Turtle" would arrive. Quite the conversation piece. I ran scuba charters out of Hatteras for the month of July.

Version 2.0 was a UD 2600 ("Dud") 24' box truck that I converted to haul human cargo to Florida. Visualize an 8' wide, 8' tall, 24' long space to work with. Removed the roll up back door, framed it and put a standard house door in the back. Furred out and insulated the walls and ceiling, then covered with half inch plywood. 6 bunks all the way forward with storage underneath. Then booth style seating on both sides with opening house windows over the tables. Floor was padded and carpeted for sound and heat insulation. It had heat off the engine, heat from an RV propane furnace and a window shaker air conditioner next to the back door that ran off the generator. There was a deck out back with trailer hitch below to haul the boat. And finally a bathroom on the right in the back. There was a boat style toilet with gate valve and 24 gallon stainless holding tank underneath. 6 guys going to Florida on a Manatee hunting trip, can drink a lot of beer in 15 hours.

Ted

Damn! Very cool. Your projects are way beyond my meager skill set.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Bill: I like it! How did you modify the side door so you don’t get locked in if the ramp is up?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #36
Guru

Bored Covid project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Bill: I like it! How did you modify the side door so you don’t get locked in if the ramp is up?

The side door still has the exterior bar type lock as well as a regular RV style door latch that opens from the inside and outside.

Name:	IMG_8949.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	105049

So yes, we could get locked in if someone wanted to do that. But the windows I put in are large RV “escape” windows that swing open from the bottom so one could fairly easily get out.
Old 07-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
No projects for me. However, we had a combination in our "bubble" that included a carpenter and a couple of marine engineers. They decided to build a wooden roulette wheel. That was three people for nearly four days to get it perfect and balanced. Beautiful wheel, but then what do you do with it after you play with it a few times. They had a blast doing it though. I'd say your project is far more productive and useful.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:02 PM   #38
Guru

Bored Covid project

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No projects for me. However, we had a combination in our "bubble" that included a carpenter and a couple of marine engineers. They decided to build a wooden roulette wheel. That was three people for nearly four days to get it perfect and balanced. Beautiful wheel, but then what do you do with it after you play with it a few times. They had a blast doing it though. I'd say your project is far more productive and useful.

That sounds so cool. Also sounds fun to hang out with people again. Cases are so out of control here in Victoria county (number one in the state per capita!) we are staying home as much as possible. Some friends have wanted to hang out and drink some beer, but I’m not comfortable doing that, even outside.

One of my wife’s renters just informed her that she has covid. She is in her 30s. Got it at a bar. 🤦
Old 07-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
That sounds so cool. Also sounds fun to hang out with people again. Cases are so out of control here in Victoria county (number one in the state per capita!) we are staying home as much as possible. Some friends have wanted to hang out and drink some beer, but I’m not comfortable doing that, even outside.

One of my wife’s renters just informed her that she has covid. She is in her 30s. Got it at a bar. 🤦
I heard someone in London exclaim, "You can't social distance drunks." Well, we've seen bars and parties lead to lots of spreading. That and political rallies and church events like choir practice.

We have a bubble. We went months where if you wanted to be part of the bubble you could have no contact with anyone outside it. Now that our businesses are open, we still are very restrictive of the bubble group. We have to trust each other completely and we do so. Beth and David are 63 and 65 and they haven't left our property since February.

We do go into our office occasionally but we wear masks and distance ourselves. We took a trip to SC and NC and we quarantined ourselves when we got home. For 14 days we had no contact with anyone else.

I know at some point one of us will get Covid 19 and then can only hope it's caught before a large number get it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #40
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:

Ted
Sometimes it's best to throw the evidence away. This is the mid 80s on very meager funds. Old Roadway tractor and Dutch Craft travel trailer. I lived in the trailer for 2 years while renovating my first house, before building this gem. This must have been earlier in its career. A permanent ladder was installed for the trailer along with some other modifications. That first step was challenging without a ladder. In a tip of the hat to my metal shop teacher / mentor, everything that got welded was painted Rustoleum fish oil primer red. Yes, I built the boat trailer. "No kill, like overkill."

Name:	20200715_214157.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	105059

Name:	20200715_214221.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	105060

The local surf fishermen of Hatteras wanted to know if I took it on the beach.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote