Boom Winch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
I can't find much on this so I thought I would ask here.

I have a Pacific Trawler 40 with a boom to raise and lower my inflatable. A past owner installed a electric winch to raise and lower the inflatable but not the boom. Right now the boom is on a 3 to 1 pulley system that I manual have to operate.

With about 200 to 220 pounds on the boom. I can lower it but not raise it manual. Its just too much weight!!

Rule made the winch that I have but they don't make one any more. Can anyone suggest a winch that I could use on the boom??

I can't find much on this so I thought I would ask here.

I have a Pacific Trawler 40 with a boom to raise and lower my inflatable. A past owner installed a electric winch to raise and lower the inflatable but not the boom. Right now the boom is on a 3 to 1 pulley system that I manual have to operate.

With about 200 to 220 pounds on the boom. I can lower it but not raise it manual. Its just too much weight!!

Rule made the winch that I have but they don't make one any more. Can anyone suggest a winch that I could use on the boom??
Maybe go with a 5:1 tackle instead of 3:1? Larger sheaves on the pullies to reduce friction?

Or maybe a sailboat self-tailing winch mounted to the mast with a rope clutch as stopper? You could use an adapter to a cordless drill to run the winch making it a powered winch. Depending on rigging, you may be able to abandon current winch and use a single sail-winch to power both functions using two lines - one for boom lift, one for dinghy hoist.

Otherwise, another winch similar to what you have for lifting. Just need to figure out how to mount and run power.

Good luck.

Peter

Last edited:
Maybe go with a 5:1 tackle instead of 3:1? Larger sheaves on the pullies to reduce friction?

Or maybe a sailboat self-tailing winch mounted to the mast with a rope clutch as stopper? You could use an adapter to a cordless drill to run the winch making it a powered winch

Otherwise, another winch similar tonwhat you have for lifting. Just need to figure out how to mount and run power.

Good luck.

Peter

I should have mentioned that there is a sailboat winch that it uses. But its very hard to use. Plus the closer I get to the mast, the harder it is to hold the boom going left to right.

Keep in mind that I am holding the control to lower the inflatable and the line to swing the boom. Now to operate the boom going up and down is more difficult.

I should have mentioned that there is a sailboat winch that it uses. But its very hard to use. Plus the closer I get to the mast, the harder it is to hold the boom going left to right.

Keep in mind that I am holding the control to lower the inflatable and the line to swing the boom. Now to operate the boom going up and down is more difficult.
Tough to say without some additional information. Could be the winch is too small, is it a self-tailing winch? Winches are expensive so are sometimes undersized.

One winch would be able to operate both control lines, though only one at a time so each would need some sort of stopper such as a rope clutch or cam cleat.

I have used electric winches like RT Fireflys. They seem to rust out, plus the challenge of getting power to them. You would need two - one for the dinghy hoist, one for the boom lift. There is no free lunch here.

Pictures might help

Peter

Greetings,
Mr. mv. Mr. I states there is already an electric winch in place for the dinghy but he is looking to be able to raise and lower the boom, as well. Probably power a second winch with existing power. PAY ATTENTION.

iu

I recently had to replace a Rule winch (on my davit) and purchased a Warn winch which fitted in the same mounting.

Note there is a difference between "hoisting" winches and "horizontal" winches (like those used on jeep bumpers).

For the past 15 yearsI have been using an inexpensive Harbor Freight winch to raise and lower the dinghy . I replaced the wire rope with 1/4” Amsteel. I can also use this winch with a wireless remote to recover a MOB. If the anchor winch fails I can reroute the Amsteel line to the bow and use this winch to pull the anchor chain in ten foot shots.

The boom length is sufficient to let the dinghy down without changing the boom angle. I lengthened the boom about 12” to be able to do this.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom