The Boats We Love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Have you ever been overcome with emotion while thinking of your boat, where the rising lump in your throat makes tears puddle up in the corners of your eyes? It happened to me today.

Granted, I'm in a weakened state having been dragged down this week by the weirdest chill inducing, dizziness causing, pounding headache version of the flu, but the emotions were real.

This hasn't been a 'stomach flu' with attendant puking, but the only food I've eaten for about four days is three packages of Knorr soup. My energy reserves are meagre. I wanted to come home and suffer in comfort.

Today was the first day I felt anywhere approaching normal, so I went down to button Badger up for -23C (-9F) temperatures with northerly outflow winds forecasted at 50 knots coming in a couple days. I did not want to be out there.

Midway through the day, while trying to rationalize leaving for home with the job half done, I thought, "Badger would give it all for us, so I have to finish."

Like I said, I'm in a weakened state.

Boats do have a way of becoming much more than the sum of their parts.

Do some maintenance on your MSD, that will cure you!

Marine Sanitation Device - AKA Head AKA toilet!

Marine Sanitation Device - AKA Head AKA toilet!

Have an Airhead composting (desiccating) toilet, so absolutely nothing disgusting about it whatsoever...smells like loamy garden soil :thumb:

Last edited:
Sigh...

Municipal landfills, even in (gasp) California, will take the bags. Where do you think your babies diapers went and where your Depends will end up?

That my friends is why we have super efficient septic system separation tanks and leach fields on the property of all our family's rural houses.

Black tank pump-out performed on our boat - therefrom eventually going into sanitation treatment system.

Drop our RV black/grey water into locations that therefrom are transported to sanitation treatment systems. Sometimes dump our RV tanks at a treatment system itself.

Luckily we have no diapers or pads needing disposal. :thumb: :dance:

Have you ever been overcome with emotion while thinking of your boat, where the rising lump in your throat makes tears puddle up in the corners of your eyes? It happened to me today.

Midway through the day, while trying to rationalize leaving for home with the job half done, I thought, "Badger would give it all for us, so I have to finish."

Like I said, I'm in a weakened state.

Boats do have a way of becoming much more than the sum of their parts.

Probably not to that level, but I am very attached to my boat. The amount of effort I expend to clean and maintain it exceeds anything (maybe everything :rolleyes:) else I own. Don't even want to talk about the money I freely spend on it. I probably won't get emotional till the day it's going away, but I'm sure that will be tough, maybe like the family pet. :cry:

Ted

Maybe the forum should get a psychiatrist to analyze why some here are so fixated on the decomposition of other people's excrement. :nonono:

Ted

Maybe the forum should get a psychiatrist to analyze why some here are so fixated on the decomposition of other people's excrement. :nonono:

Ted

No kidding.

Let’s try a visualization experiment; imagine, on a huge flat as a pancake prairie farm you have two piles.

One is made of all the baby diapers, adult diapers, dog crap and kitty litter thrown into North American landfills each year. How big would it be? About the size of a Mayan pyramid? Bigger?

The other is made from the bags of used coconut coir from desiccating toilets in North America in a year. How big would it be? About the size of a modest three bedroom house? Smaller?

Our first batch lasted over three months, didn’t stink at all, and was about the size and weight of three loaves of bread in a garbage bag.

Airhead also has a fan built in which directs fresh deposit smells overboard, unlike a regular head where you get to enjoy all the olfactory nuances in real time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom