Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #41

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddw36 View Post
Except for human experiments, officially, our government does not support slavery or mistreatment of AmerIndians. On the private level, however..........

Re: Non-Chinese boats, if you can afford a new build, you could buy plans for a George Buehler Diesel Duck 462 in steel, take them to a reputable non-Chinese builder, and pay not much more than building in China, possibly less than $1million.
There is a boatyard in Antalya, Turkey, that has built steel DDs. The south coast of Turkey has many boatyards competitive w/ China. Sorry, can't remember the name of the boatyard.

I'm sure many, if not most of these Turkish yards, have built a variety of yachts of various materials, and I'm sure they have plans on hand for many makes of boats, including the DDs.

And, you take delivery in arguably the best cruising ground in the world, with the option of going in any direction you want afterward.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #42

City: NE Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
Although they are primarily building the Fathom line, Park Isle has on occasion built beautiful passagemakers and are located in beautiful British Columbia.

https://www.parkislemarine.com/new-index
I'm finally getting back to look at some of the links posted here.....

these look very nice. Don't see many searching online for them though...for sale, youtube, etc.... the royal passagemakers look to my eye sort of an old style, but I like at least looking from "a distance"
Old 04-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #43
ci

City: Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Well... They are not passagemakers like the Kady or Nordhavn's you mentioned but...

The Bayliner Coastal Cruisers were all made in America, and I think the Hatteras LRC series is also an American Made boat.

Bravo for trying to employ your fellow Americans!
Hatteras LRC’s were made in New Bern, NC. Hatteras plant is still there, but they stopped producing the LRC in the 80’s. We own a1977 48 LRC and love the boat. She is a very solid boat. Holds 1300 gallons of fuel and has a somewhere close to a 3000 NM range.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #44

City: Skummeslövsstrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
I've been daydreaming over boats such as some by Selene and Nordhavn in the roughly in the say 43 ft to 55 ft range
both made in China for the most part as I understand it...well I understand Nordhavn makes some of their line in Turkey too....

What are some equivalent/similar brands not built in China?
Aren't Fleming built in Taiwan? Slightly similar to Selene.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #45

City: Skummeslövsstrand
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
Hi,

Very nice the 4x4 off sea, costal cruiserfrom Finland
https://cardinalyachtsales.com/models/targa-46/
https://cardinalyachtsales.com/targa/

NBs
Great boats, but not really meant for crossing oceans. Or as a liveaboard boat.

But what about Elling? Capable of crossing the Atlantic.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by ci View Post
Hatteras LRC’s were made in New Bern, NC. Hatteras plant is still there, but they stopped producing the LRC in the 80’s. We own a1977 48 LRC and love the boat. She is a very solid boat. Holds 1300 gallons of fuel and has a somewhere close to a 3000 NM range.
Yes it's funny, folks think Nordhavn invented ocean crossing cruisers...

Yet The Hatteras LRC's were plying the oceans when Nordhavn was not even a dream yet.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
Old 04-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #47
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Is the original post about boats made in China, mainland China or about boats made by Chinese people, Taiwan and China?
Old 04-16-2021, 01:42 PM   #48
Guru

City: south kingstown
Vessel Name: Albatross
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 36
I have noticed lately that these threads often go off subject and off the rails.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Southwest Harbor, ME
Vessel Name: Bluewater V
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Anyone considering a Nordhavn that is built in China should understand that those boats are built by an American company (Pacific Asian Enterprises, Inc. of Dana Point, CA) and a Taiwanese company (South Coast Marine) doing business in China. Project management is by PAE, management is by South Coast, and the actual labor is by Chinese citizens employed by the South Coast. In other words, a China-built Nordhavn is not built BY China but IN China.

Most Nordhavns larger than 50 feet are built in China, but other Nordhavn models are built in Taiwan and Turkey.

Personally, I've been immensely pleased with my Nordhavn which was built in Xiamen, China. I visited the factory twice and I'm most impressed with the modern boatbuilding techniques and the quality of the yachts. I've owned my Nordhavn for 16 years and put over 40,000 NM in her wake.

Milt Baker, Nordhavn 47 Bluewater
Old 04-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #50

City: Branford CT
Vessel Name: Opus
Vessel Model: 44 Tiara Sovran
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Volvo has a good reputation in heavy equipment and OTR trucks, but on the marine side, they have one warehouse in the US, and everything has to ship out of there, and the parts prices are high, if the parts are available. A dock neighbor gave up and re-engined his boat because it was on the hard waiting on parts most of the time. He said at least he gets to use it with the different engines, and the older Volvo engines ran some of the time.

Finding a volvo service center is rare. Sure, mechanics may work on them, but they're not volvo trained, which means you pay their rates while they figure it out. I hear that in other parts of the world, it is different, but I don't live there.

Even if you get a new boat with Volvo engines, someday, it will be older, and someone will have to fight the battle getting spare parts...

Speaking of sabre, if you look at YachtWorld sabre, you'll see quite a few Volvo powered boats available. If you watch boats being listed and then sold, you'll see most of them are Cummins powered... A Cummins powered sabre don't last long, compared to the Volvo glut on the market.

While my experiences are not personal, and who knows if it is "current", I saw my friend experience unending pain with his volvo engines and no problems with cummins. This was 15+ years ago, and I still won't go see a volvo powered boat. They wanted to show me the latest Palm Beach boats, and I saw the "powered by Volvo" floor mat and declined.

Others on TF will swear by Volvo engines, but a few TF'ers swear at them. The last thing I wanted to do is find out first hand that the volvo service issues are still a thing.

We owned a 2009 Tiara Sovran with Volvo D600 IPS drives for 7 years (600 hrs) before selling her last spring to be begin our live aboard trawler search. Engines ran great with absolutely no problems while we owned her with the exception of a fluid leak in the drive transfer case found in the survey and which Volvo handled under warranty. We did our own engine and IPS drive oil changes. IPS drive oil cost was steep at $600 per change. Very efficient engines - we cruised between 16-18 knots and burned around 16 gallons an hour. Both CT (McDonalds Marine) and RI (Point Judith Marina) are certified Volvo dealers.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:13 PM   #51
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Is the original post about boats made in China, mainland China or about boats made by Chinese people, Taiwan and China?
How about boats made of materials made in China
Resins, fibreglass, consumables,pumps, lights, instruments etc etc etc.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:17 PM   #52
PNK

City: New York ( City Island )
If you are willing to consider older boats, and ones a bit bigger than the size-range you indicated, try Burger Yachts. I spent a lot of time watching their boats being built in Manitowoc, Wisconsin, and while they are known for large multi-million dollar yachts, they have built quite a number of "smaller" boats in the 59' - 75' range, all of which have beautiful, classic lines, at least to me. Quite a few are still around, and listed on the usual brokerage sites. Good luck!
Peter
Old 04-16-2021, 02:25 PM   #53
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
boats not made in China?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post

And asking about it on a computer partly built and more likely than not assembled in the Guangdong province, or an iPhone mostly assembled in the same place.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #54
ci

City: Stuart
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Yes it's funny, folks think Nordhavn invented ocean crossing cruisers...

Yet The Hatteras LRC's were plying the oceans when Nordhavn was not even a dream yet.
I am impressed, most people don’t realize Hatteras was doing it before most of the well known trawler manufacturers today! The 65 LRC is very impressive.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #55
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I was wondering since not wanting a boat made in China is a decision based on political considerations: opposition to their government. Not wanting a boat made by Chinese people is something different.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #56
Veteran Member

City: Southwest Harbor, ME
Vessel Name: Bluewater V
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Much of what goes into building a Nordhavn is made in the USA and other countries around the world and sent to China for installation. My main engine and backup ("wing") engine, for example, are based on John Deere engines marinized by Lugger in the USA. The two generators are Northern Lights, built in the USA but using Japanese engines. The exterior gel coat for my boat was made in South Carolina. The aluminum framed hatches and doors and windows were made in Canada. Virtually every pump onboard is American-made. Likewise, the fridge and freezer (SubZero). Nordhavn uses many top brands in construction, virtually none of them Chinese. But the fiberglass hulls, decks, deckhouses, and all structural components are laid up in China by Chinese workers. Likewise, the woodwork, cabinets, and joinery are all built in China. It takes a village!
Old 04-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Narsaq
Vessel Name: ALICE H.
Vessel Model: SANMAR LNG TUG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddw36 View Post
There is a boatyard in Antalya, Turkey, that has built steel DDs. The south coast of Turkey has many boatyards competitive w/ China. Sorry, can't remember the name of the boatyard.
That would be Asboat. https://www.asboat.com.tr
The major difference btwn the two countries is the cost of the actual build. Pandas do it cheaper - but you'd better hire an archectict or surveyor to stand there and watch them build it. The Turks have been in the biz for 2000 yrs - they build better and you don't need to watch them like hawks. The interior workmanship is superior in every way. I've had the opportunity to build and motorsail many gulets coming out of Maramis yards.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #58
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
kind of a silly doesn't really matter daydreamer's question here....

I've been daydreaming over boats such as some by Selene and Nordhavn in the roughly in the say 43 ft to 55 ft range
both made in China for the most part as I understand it...well I understand Nordhavn makes some of their line in Turkey too....

What are some equivalent/similar brands not built in China?

mostly coastal cruising for a couple, but would love the ability to cross to Europe from the East coast of the US.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortensi View Post
Of ALL the great things in the world to day dream about, you pick this? When you dream of women, is it Mellisa McCarthy that ‘floats your boat?”
Just rather odd. Odder still is people here responding as if he’s serious.
You do realize this is the Trawler Forum, correct?

We actually kind of like trawlers here.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:33 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Western Massachusetts
Try looking at Carver Yachts. The "in house" approach, made in USA., will be our choice. If you're looking for a coastal cruiser, built and nicely appointed, the new and used models are really nice. They employ the Cummins, and a lot more.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #60
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Sonship 66-110 foot built just down the road has appealed to me but way past my price point. Have not seen it mentioned here.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sonship.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	116731
Closed Thread