Boats that give normal liveaboards a bad rep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was a live aboard for 3 years in Coral Bay St John USVI. There were several like me that worked on land and left their boat for the day. There were also others that didn't work and many struggled with substance abuse. I tried to be friendly, offering to bring stuff in or out if they needed. I also helped a couple with mechanical problems on their boats, no charge except for parts. Some people complained about them. Some people also had things go missing from their boats. I never had anything get "lost". You may not agree with their life, but it usually doesn't do any good to antagonize. Negotiating from empathy is more effective. You never know what you will find.

My boat is currently at a marina with lots of liveaboards. (It's not my home marina).

Some of the liveaboards are immaculate. Some look abandoned.

The marina recently announced that every tenant would be required to start his boat and demonstrate that it could move under its own power. Boats like mine that have recently arrived are excepted.

Requiring that all vessels be operational is a good start towards keeping a ship-shape marina. It also insures that the marina can be evacuated in a timely manner for storms or fire.

We’ve lived on our boat(s) for 6-9 months/yr for the last 12. Over that time have made the following observations.

There’s a bunch of people who have started with a dream of a cruising life and then it became a nightmare. Their source of income disappeared or never really existed. They fell into the hole of substance abuse, or their personal relationships fell apart. So many reasons for a downward spiral. But they’re left depressed without a vision of how to reintegrate into society and stuck in the cycle of it’s expensive to be poor.

In upper Woburn bay in Grenada there was such a collection of lost souls. Most came from European countries. One individual who hadn’t moved in years had a brain tumor. The cruising community brought him to his doctor appointments and dropped food and water on his boat. When he died they towed his boat to another bay to be hauled and disposed. Another was a young French family with three kids under ten. They were on a small home made steel boat they sailed across the pond. Not being able to find work the boat was deteriorating rapidly. They were given baby sitting and a ride for the parents to Martinique to organize government assistance and repatriation. Can offer similar examples for Antigua, PR, St. Vincent. But can’t think of this ever occurring in the U.S. other than one example in Newport RI. A gentleman who owned a few mooring there was going blind. In the past he went back and forth to FL with the seasons. His progressive blindness made him unsafe. Could no longer sail. Local cruisers attended to his needs and collected his mooring fees.

So instead of holding your noise and averting your eyes might be worthwhile to politely obtain the backstory. Unlike elsewhere often there’s laws about allowing intervention if the situation is unsanitary or a risk to the resident or others. Not infrequently a random act of kindness can be life altering. In medicine they say don’t just treat the symptoms. Treat the disease or the symptoms will never clear.

Unfortunately regardless of where you go you take your problems with you. Particularly true for substance abuse and mental illness. Unfortunately it’s unlikely the local group of fellow cruisers or marinas have the resources to deal with these issues. However governmental agencies proport to have them. This is another possible avenue to pursue.

What we face isn’t the Busted Flat with Meyer living next store but all too often people resistant to changing their behavior in deference to the needs and concerns of others. Some are just egocentric ********, some are just too impaired or overwhelmed to be concerned about others. However there’s strength in numbers. Talk with the other boaters in your immediate vicinity. Arrive at a plan supported by the group. It’s possible confronting the individual, authorities that be and applying peer pressure may help resolve the problem.

Last edited:
We’ve lived on our boat(s) for 6-9 months/yr for the last 12. Over that time have made the following observations.

There’s a bunch of people who have started with a dream of a cruising life and then it became a nightmare. Their source of income disappeared or never really existed. They fell into the hole of substance abuse, their personal relationships fell apart. So many reasons. But they’re left depressed without a vision of how to reintegrate into society and stuck in the cycle of it’s expensive to be poor.
I would venture that many of those in that category struggled in society as well and that was the motivation for live aboard in the first place. I'm not criticizing anyone, there but for the grace,,,. Some people will survive in any situation and some will not.

No matter what "baggage and problems" liveaboard boaters have, there is no excuse to pile garbage and trash topside. If they are coming and going from the boat they are able to take the trash in etc.

Stop making excuses by using a very rare limited set of cndittions.

No matter what "baggage and problems" liveaboard boaters have, there is no excuse to pile garbage and trash topside. If they are coming and going from the boat they are able to take the trash in etc.

Stop making excuses by using a very rare limited set of cndittions.

There may not be excuses but there are usually reasons. Mental illness can be very difficult to understand. I feel that nobody should be either accommodating or antagonistic without first trying to understand their problem (empathy). That would be the way towards resolving the problem instead of either ignoring it or simply complaining about it, which simply allows it to exist. There are always the more unpleasant resorts.

My attitude has been. What can be done to fix it. Old enough to know sometimes that’s not feasible. Then go into how to deal with it mode. However have never felt omnipotent nor that I know all the parameters involved at first glance. See no downside to doing due diligence before acting in this situation. See no downside in getting help from others. As said there’s many egocentric individuals in the world. They may skate (i.e. politicians etc.) doing damage to others. It’s then getting help maybe much more effective than going it alone or accepting continued abusive behavior.
I’m goal directed and no bleeding heart. You have three choices- bitch, change it or move.

Last edited:
the tank in the back ground looks like one outside of boston ma. am i correct?

Back
Top Bottom