Boats that give normal liveaboards a bad rep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Without knowing the boat owner/marina relationships saying saying is politically dangerous. Especially if this a long occuring issue

I’m very tolerant of people that buy boats strictly to live on and never leave the dock. We have a tight neighborhood of folks that look out for each other. But if I had a neighbor constantly leaving trash out that was blowing into the water I would definitely go to the marina management and say something.
There will always be those fringe “boaters” with the water world sort of vibe, but if they’re not polluting the water, leave them be.

Lostsailor - have you asked the marina dockmaster about the boat? Guessing your Boston area marina is mostly empty of boats in winter so any boat that remains is either a hardy soul such as yourself, or some flavor of quasi- abandoned, a bane of any harbormasters existence.

In the main, I somewhat agree with OP. May be subjective view of liveaboards, but in my mind, its one thing when a boat doesn't get used. Another when the boat cannot be used.

Peter

Greetings,
Mr. L.

iu

:thumb:
I have a copy of that at home. I have been known to offer to purchase copies for others. Many others.

Start looking for rats. Nothing makes a controversy at a marina like rats.

We have a boat a few slips down that has squirrels in it. Over a nonmaintained three years they have destroyed everything. Owners are divorcing, perfect storm.

I'm not a liveaboard, but my boat is a weekend condo. I'm nowhere near the "high end" boats in my marina, neither in my slip location nor in the cost of my boat, but there's no reason that I can't keep my dock space as neat or neater than the big boys.

It's a matter of pride for me.

I'm not a liveaboard, but my boat is a weekend condo. I'm nowhere near the "high end" boats in my marina, neither in my slip location nor in the cost of my boat, but there's no reason that I can't keep my dock space as neat or neater than the big boys.

It's a matter of pride for me.

And I don’t understand why everyone doesn’t feel that way.

It's a big wide world out there............

For the same reason trailer trash don't pick up their trash

I guess so. But I never understood why they do that especially when they have city garbage pickup. Why not just put the crap in the garbage???

I guess so. But I never understood why they do that especially when they have city garbage pickup. Why not just put the crap in the garbage???

because they are "trailer trash", which isn't restricted to having a trailer

in the boat world I call them

boat scum scum scum or BS cubed

Tempting to take an axe and cut it loose some night, probably has no propulsion as well.

One of the nice things about having a boat, whether a live aboard or a weekender is that if you don't like something you can always move. We were at the same marina for over 15 years when it was sold. The original owners had the staff walk the docks every day checking on things. There were rules about what you could and could not have on the docks, etc. The new owner stopped walking the docks and had no standards at all for the marina. Things went down hill quickly. about half of the people left for a nicer place and the new people that came in made the place worse. Finally 3 years ago I had enough and we left for good. Looking back, I should have made the move 5 years earlier. If the marina owners put up with this, its time to go.

"If I owned a marina"

Not the best quality photo,but look at the trash bags this slob leaves in the cockpit,I counted 7,totally gross

Back in 2018, after staying in marinas from Charleston, SC to Hampton, VA, I did a blog post entitled, "If I Owned a Marina." https://cruisingtheicw.blog//?s=If+I+Owned+A+Marina&search=Go

It all comes down to 'first impressions being lasting impressions,' whether we're talking about a person or a marina. When a transient pulls into a marina and the first thing they see is bags of trash in the cockpit or mold and mildew covering a boat, that first impression is a negative one. Sadly, too many marina operators have ignored filthy boats for so long, it's a way of life.

Given all the variables involved,,It would be interesting to see what the definition of " normal liveaboard" looks like.>>>Dan

Last edited:
One of the nice things about having a boat, whether a live aboard or a weekender is that if you don't like something you can always move. We were at the same marina for over 15 years when it was sold. The original owners had the staff walk the docks every day checking on things. There were rules about what you could and could not have on the docks, etc. The new owner stopped walking the docks and had no standards at all for the marina. Things went down hill quickly. about half of the people left for a nicer place and the new people that came in made the place worse. Finally 3 years ago I had enough and we left for good. Looking back, I should have made the move 5 years earlier. If the marina owners put up with this, its time to go.

Same thing just happened in the marina we're currently in. It sold in October/November of last year. Still haven't spoken to new owner, he's never around, and I mean NEVER. Never introduced himself, no meet and greet, he was invited to Holiday Potluck, no show . . . He let off people who used to man the office. Now just one person left. The office is only open half as much now. Office manager is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Owner won't let her enforce rules or take charge, but he's never around, so there really ISN'T anyone in charge. One "problematic" character on the dock is causing problems, calling police, reporting non-issues by others on the dock . . . owner refuses to do anything about it, claims the guy (another liveaboard) "has no place else to go", and "he promises to be good now".

We're leaving no later than the end of August, but earlier if we can find liveaboard slip somewhere else . . . . A second liveaboard told us, if we find a place to go, he's going too. . . .

Last edited:
Same thing just happened in the marina we're currently in. It sold in October/November of last year. Still haven't spoken to new owner, he's never around, and I mean NEVER. Never introduced himself, no meet and greet, he was invited to Holiday Potluck, no show . . . He let off people who used to man the office. Now just one person left. The office is only open half as much now. Office manager is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Owner won't let her enforce rules or take charge, but he's never around, so there really ISN'T anyone in charge. One "problematic" character on the dock is causing problems, calling police, reporting non-issues by others on the dock . . . owner refuses to do anything about it, claims the guy (another liveaboard) "has no place else to go", and "he promises to be good now".

We're leaving no later than the end of August, but earlier if we can find liveaboard slip somewhere else . . . . A second liveaboard told us, if we find a place to go, he's going too. . . .

That is why I love having my boat at our dock behind the house. If the dock owner acts like a jerk my wife straightens him out…

Greetings,
Mr. C. " If the dock owner acts like a jerk my wife straightens him out…" Hahaha. We've got to be related somehow...

200w.gif

Given all the variables involved,,It would be interesting to see what the definition of " normal liveaboard" looks like.>>>Dan

The definition changes based on size of the boat. A normal liveaboard on a 30’ dock has a much more cluttered camping look than the normal liveaboard on the 60’ dock. That said, bad apples are not restricted to any one size of boat. Upon occasion we get that mentally unbalanced individual in a floating trash can on the 60’ dock.

Not sure I know the answer to that question. The cleanest live-aboards I’ve seen were those owned by folks that maintained their boats like I think most folks like to maintain their homes. Keeping a live-aboard boat clean only requires soap, water, a little elbow grease, and pride.

I think size has a lot to do with appearance. As the boat gets smaller, more and more stuff ends up on the outside. Bicycles are the first thing that comes to mind. Mine lived inside, but on smaller boats it's not possible. The other give away were water tanks strapped to the lifelines on smaller sail boats. Use to think they all cruised the Bahamas, until I saw them in the Great Lakes.

Ted

You might want to expand on this because after rereading a dozen times I am unsure of what exactly you are saying..... :confused:

If I take it at face value as a former liveaboard during 3 different periods in my life... it seems insulting. :ermm:

No insults intended.

I am not one to let how someone keeps their boat to bother me. I would offer to help take the trash for them. I have done it for others. I keep my boat and slip clean, safe and operational. Some people would probably not like seeing my kayak and dingy aboard and fishing poles at the rail and a cooler on the aft deck. But as Ted noted we do the best with what we have.

No insults intended.

I am not one to let how someone keeps their boat to bother me. I would offer to help take the trash for them. I have done it for others. I keep my boat and slip clean, safe and operational. Some people would probably not like seeing my kayak and dingy aboard and fishing poles at the rail and a cooler on the aft deck. But as Ted noted we do the best with what we have.

Sorry... just deleted my post as after rereading it yet again to make sure my response was accurate, the lightbulb came on and better understood how it could have been meant.

I think for many, there is a distinct difference between a cluttered, small cruising boat and one that is a pig stye because the owner is unable or chooses not to keep their boat clean and sanitary. Those that can't or won't see the difference (not pointing the finger at anyone) doesn't really fit in my world. Not everyone has the luxury of keeping a boat in showroom appearance.

I think for many, there is a distinct difference between a cluttered, small cruising boat and one that is a pig stye because the owner is unable or chooses not to keep their boat clean and sanitary. Those that can't or won't see the difference (not pointing the finger at anyone) doesn't really fit in my world. Not everyone has the luxury of keeping a boat in showroom appearance.

Agreed. There's definitely a difference between cluttered and dirty or unmaintained. One looks well used, the other looks neglected.

Back
Top Bottom