Boats to avoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the broker used extensive creative license when referring to a DeFever. This boat is clearly not out of a DeFever mold, but it has some design features similar to the DeFever RPH. This picture shows what I believe my father in law was referring to. Bill

img.php.jpeg

Thanks. I do notice when I look at many of the very popular boats and models I can hardly tell the difference from a Grand Banks to a Marine Trader to an Albin. I made a mistake buying a Sea Ray with an early OMC outdrive once I really wish I had been warned about. Oops!

In general... aluminum OD that remains continuously submerged in saltwater = Similarity to an Alka Seltzer Tablet!

I recommend well maintained, good condition Tollycraft boats. :thumb:

Having bought 10 boats since 1995, the above post has certainly been my experience. Also, loving the boat's looks, layout, etc. is really important. It really softens the blow of inevitable maintenance problems that will surface. And although I've never owned one, Volvos seem to pop up on this site as expensive to get parts for....:hide:

All diesel engines are expensive to get parts for. What most folks don't realize until they have had a diesel engine for a while is that you rarely need to get parts for any of them, so that higher cost is irrelevant, if true.
I have owned diesels since 1977. I have owned gas engines since 1964. I spent far more on engine parts between 1964 and 1975 than since 1975. Buying better quality has meant fewer problems. My diesels have been Yanmar, Lehman, Volvo, CAT, Cummins. None have been significantly expensive to maintain.
Gas, OTOH: Pontiac, Chevy, American Pontiac, Fiat, Dodge Colt, Plymouth, Volvo, Mercedes, somewhat more expensive to maintain, especially Fiat, followed by Mercedes.

My old and present boats have Perkins 6.354s and the old one had a Perkins 4.107 powered generator.

I dont consider parts for them to be either hard to find or particularly expensive. S&W, TAD, Foley, and Parts4Engines have been able to ship anything so need fast. MrCool had generic coolers and heat exchangers for reasonable prices. Anyone seemed to be able to do the injectors and pumps. And, modern turbos crossed to the old ones on the 6.354MGTs. And, although turbos can be expensive, they can often be rebuilt for a reasonable price.

Good mechanics...those have a wait and are hard to find. But, I did (eventually) find them in both LA,CA and Clearwater, FL.

Lehmans, Detroit's, Cat 3208s, and others also seem to have good parts supplies and mechanic availability. Probably among others.

My experience is that, just because the manufacturer doesn't sell a part anymore doesnt mean it cant be had easily. It just means you need to know who to call.

Everyone raves about Lehman....yet I have been told exhaust manifolds are rarer than hens teeth and you might have to buy a whole engine just to get a used manifold....

May or may not be true...if it is true and you need one, Volvo parts ,might seem inexpensive.

Lots of people selling used Lehman parts.

Harbor Marine in Everett has 2 dead Lehmans that they are selling parts from.

I have purchased dead Lehmans and parted them out.

I currently am looking for another Lehman to purchase if anyone has one in the PNW. It can be any Lehman; 220, 225, 275.

Yep...just like calling your local Cummings or Cat dealer and picking it up that afternoon.

I Googled it before and didn't come up with any quick hits on 120 Lehman Manifold....any known source would be appreciated by many here if they need one soon.

My implication was difficult to get, not impossible and they might be pricey if you want it fast because not everyone parts out dead engines....especially when the part wanted is the rare one.

We have a local marine exhaust fabricator. Would this be a job for them? Anyone see any complications with this particular manifold? If it is a feasible project, I'll ask them. Seems like they would have looked into this already.

We have a local marine exhaust fabricator. Would this be a job for them? Anyone see any complications with this particular manifold? If it is a feasible project, I'll ask them. Seems like they would have looked into this already.

Polished headers on a Lehman would look cool!

I had a little boat, 24 ft that I loved, but she just wasn't "enough" boat. I'm really thinking more like 36 ft this time.

I did it.

Unreliable memory says the exhaust manifold is one part ADC can`t supply. Someone must be making them, an special fabrication is a possibility. I`ve kept an eye out for an exhausted Lehman, though if I spot one, where I`d keep it I`m not sure.
Fortunately you can get exhaust angles.

Having bought 10 boats since 1995, the above post has certainly been my experience. ...

About time to replace your current boat. ;)

Again my point wasn't about GETTING Lehman exhaust manifolds.... is was that it may not be easy or cheap...thus taking some of the heat off Volvo....and making new buyers weigh all the angles....

Like this one? My father in law did not like me considering this boat. He said the bow did not have enough volume.
Boat for sale - Lepage Craft 41 RAISED PILOTHOUSE Scaled down RPH 49 Defever - 41'

Reserve buoyancy in the bow is often overrated and tends to produce significant pitching. The vertical acceleration is often uncomfortable and the horizontal deceleration when the bow is buried in the wave is also no fun. I much prefer a sharper entry that slices through the wave as opposed to jumping over it. It may be a wetter ride but it is way more comfortable.

Last edited:
From a distance for sure, but I'm not even experienced enough to tell the quality difference close up.

if you're looking at MT, GB and Albin's I suspect you're looking at 70's - 86ish boats. (Also try Mainship 34)

In my experience, with a boat of that vintage you'll find similar types of issues which if unattended to greatly decrease the integrity, quality and value of the boat.

IMO, in that vintage, quality is based on how the boat was maintained not necessarily by manufacturer.

Obvious items to note right away, soggy decks, wood that sounds like a thud when hit, smokey diesels, what color smoke?, cabins that smell like diesel, lots of caulk in deck hardware, loose deck hardware, motor mounts in stringers that are loose, leaking or poor condition fuel tanks, unkept canvas, unkept wiring & messy engine rooms, hot water heater, is it leaking?, ect.

Read boat surveys, survey multiple boats, take oil samples, ask questions of people, talk with surveyors.

In my experience, it's well work a few $600 surveys to learn and flush out the boat that do not fill your needs.

All that being said. I do not have enough experiences with the maintenance and repairs of the standard Perkins or Ford diesels and the various gensets that generally come in these boat. Someone else maybe able to provide a comparison.

Good luck.

unkept...

In my experience, it's well work a few $600 surveys to learn and flush out the boat that do not fill your needs.

These two points are spot-on.

If you see neglect, worry about the neglect you CAN'T see.

That and while it seems like a gamble to spend on a survey, just think of how many things you could miss that would cost many multiples of what a survey might cost...

New owner of 44' Thompson Trawler

Hello,

I am new to the trawler family. I am looking for places to buy equipment
PHP:
 for my 44' Thompson Trawler.  I see lots of ships with bimmany tops and in need of one.  Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dr Q

[ATTACH]92434._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Hello,

I am new to the trawler family. I am looking for places to buy equipment
PHP:
 for my 44' Thompson Trawler. I see lots of ships with bimmany tops and in need of one. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Dr Q

[ATTACH]92434[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Nice boat. Search the internet for ideas on how you want your top. If you want a generic bimini look at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?k=bimini+top+kits&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&linkCode=ll2&tag=manicycl-20&linkId=e137972b914d0753e8c25188f95946a5&language=en_US

Hello, I am new to the trawler family.

Welcome aboard!

It usually helps to make a new post of your own for something like this, rather than tacking onto an existing and unrelated thread.

That said, bimini setups are often custom-made for each boat. They're not often available in any kind of ready-made setups. What you'd need to find are recommendations for canvas top makers in your area. Along with maybe some opinions from fellow owners of that make/model boat.

Ok great. Thank you. I did not know if there was a trawler graveyard somewhere lol

I would say that I agree with you, but I don't know if my father in law uses this forum. :) I really liked this boat and showed it to him because he has owned several trawlers, and even put a bulbous bow on one of them. He is an engineer and I did not feel like arguing with him. I do wonder if a sharper entry could assist with a broach by biting in while the stern overruns the bow. Who knows, I don't.

By the way, it is awfully hard to read this forum with those bikini ads on the page. It is as if you can hear the tires screeching to a halt as I read down the page.

That LePage would look good with a bulbous bow. Really good:)

Reserve buoyancy in the bow is often overrated and tends to produce significant pitching. The vertical acceleration is often uncomfortable and the horizontal deceleration when the bow is buried in the wave is also no fun. I much prefer a sharper entry that slices through the wave as opposed to jumping over it. It may be a wetter ride but it is way more comfortable.

Great. Thank you. It is my first post. I am sure I will get better. Thanks for the advice

I can speak only for myself but I have a Mainship 34 with a Perkins T6.354. It was very well cared for. I also have a Grady White 22. The Mainship is built like a Sherman tank and the motor is almost bulletproof as well. I have been well satisfied however its nothing fancy. Try to picture yourself with a 10 page "to do" list opposed to a 1 pager. Get a boat that has had a finicky anal owner.

Amadeus,
You’re right IMO and all boats are different.
My boat is (hull wise) very full aft and about average or a bit slack fwd and bucking head seas she never gets more than a little slop and spray over the fwd cap rail. But I carry almost no chain in my anchor rode and have a light capstan winch. Basically nothing fwd of the windshield. Tons of weight aft in the form of ballast.
I’d rather have lots of bouncy fwd and it could even be dangerous aft.

Last edited:
No Mainships!

Research local boatyard's. Go to the one that sounds the best and ask them what boats don't seem to hold up well or are not well made.

All of the yards I have been in know that Mainships are very lightly built to put it nicely.

I suggest contacting an active marine surveyor who has extensive experience with trawlers and power boats. He will have some opinions based on surveys he has done. In general, I believe you find greater quality as you go up to the more expensive boats.

Back
Top Bottom