Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Doc
Guru

Boatless?

Today I went with a friend to tow the yc sailing dinghies out into the harbor for a social sail.

One of our major topics of conversation was the price of fuel.

I told him that never before in my life was I so happy to be totally boatless. I want another one but I am feeling that now is not the time.

So...sh*t

-- Edited by Doc on Wednesday 22nd of February 2012 06:49:23 PM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Boatless?

there is no time like the present to own a boat.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -
Boatless?

Quote:
Doc wrote:I want another one but I am feeling that now is not the time.
Fuel is never going to get cheaper.* If the increasing cost of fuel is a major factor in one's decision to get into boating (or back into boating), then I would say the decision has already been made for them and that a boat is not in their future.

As fuel prices continue to rise overall it has so far not made a difference in how we use our boat.* But it might someday.* However our plan for that is not to use the boat less often or to get rid of it but to take shorter trips.*

Fortunately we are in a location where shorter trips still get you to great places.* We have our own "private" bay in the islands that we go to on a regular basis that is only a three hour run away.* We get as much enjoyment from being down there as we do being up in Desolation Sound or the Gulf Islands or other destinations that are a day or more away.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 02:09:02 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Doc, if you want to get the feeling of owning a boat again, here's an idea. *Just send me your credit card to fill up my boat. *I will guarantee you to get the feeling of being a yacht owner by 30 days time.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Doc
Guru

Thank you Marin for saying for saying " If the increasing cost of fuel is a major factor in one's decision to get into boating (or back into boating), then I would say the decision has already been made for them and that a boat is not in their future."

It gives me a great opening for this quote from Howard Nemorov: "Obvious enough that generalities work to protect the mind from the great outdoors..." :-)

I do plan to get another boat. Boats are for going someplace. If I want to look at the water, all I have to do is look out the window of my house. I guess that I could pull the car around to the backyard and sleep in it...comparable to going two miles and anchoring...except I can go back in the house if I want.

The reason that the tug went is because it was slow. I want to go faster now.I don't plan any more multi thousand mile trips. A round trip of a hundred miles is more fitting to my life style now. But, unfortunately fast equals cash so I am taking my time to find the right combination. I like your boat, Moonstruck.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Boatless?

Quote:
Doc wrote:
Today I went with a friend to tow the yc sailing dinghies out into the harbor for a social sail.

I told him that never before in my life was I so happy to be totally boatless. I want another one but I am feeling that now is not the time.

So...sh*t

*I am with you on that one.*

When we move off and sell the Eagle I will buy/own a boat under 20 ft and trailer able.* I will never have another boat that is moored in water again.* Its just TOO!*****

The only way I can justify the Eagle is we LIVE ON IT!*

after we sell the Eagle we plan on owning nothing, rent/lease, and*totally liquid and mobile.* I do not want the responsibilty and expense of ownership.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 04:07:52 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:Doc wrote:

So...sh*t

*I am with you on that one.*

When we move off and sell the Eagle I will buy/own a boat under 20 ft and trailer able.* I will never have another boat that is moored in water again.* Its just TOO!*****

after we sell the Eagle we plan on owning nothing, rent/lease, and*totally liquid and mobile.* I do not want the responsibilty and expense of ownership.*

Jees Phil Fill that just makes me want to shoot myself. *Don't be so down on the responsibilty and expense of ownership...I just wrenched on the port genset for about 10 hours. *I don't think I accomplished anything....Still feeling it though

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 04:07:52 PM

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

*I've never heard of the owning of a boat being justified unless it is a commercial boat. *Commercial boats are not yachts. *So that leaves yachts out.

When Lou asked me my biggest fault, I said that's easy. *I spend too much daum much money boating, and that's not going to change. *She said that's OK with her. *Let's enjoy it. *So, we do that as much as we can.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:Phil Fill wrote:

*I've never heard of the owning of a boat being justified unless it is a commercial boat. *Commercial boats are not yachts. *So that leaves yachts out.

When Lou asked me my biggest fault, I said that's easy. *I spend too much daum much money boating, and that's not going to change. *She said that's OK with her. *Let's enjoy it. *So, we do that as much as we can.

*You are wise beyond your years Don.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #10

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
Doc wrote:

So...sh*t

*So what you're saying Doc is that you just had the second happiest day of your life?
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Carey wrote:
*You are wise beyond your years Don.

*Thanks Carey, but at my age it's difficult to be wise beyond one's years. *Just glad to be here.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"Fuel is never going to get cheaper. "

Nonsense, like all comoddities it is subject to the Laws of supply and demand.

Should the US Gov stop placing 85% of our own energy "off limits"the price will plummet again.

No .20c diesel is not in the cards soon , but $2.00 is possible.

Coal conversion to oil at under $35.00 a bbl , is no problem, except for "permission" from our rulers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
FF wrote:
"Fuel is never going to get cheaper. "

Really!* Usage is down for gasoling over the last three years in this country.* So what does big oil do?* Sell it to other countries that will use it and then guess what? The supply here is down again, oh darn we*have to raise the price.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Higher Fuel prices means less boats on the water. This is a bad thing?
2DASEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
FF wrote:

This is true but the laws of supply and demand include the whole planet today,* not just the US.* The current rise of fuel prices in the US is not due to under-production (although one of the refineries in Washington State just blew up last week).* It's not due to a shortage of crude.* It's not due to terrorism threats.* It's not even due to political power plays.

It's due to the oil companies reducing their sale of fuel in the US so they can sell more of it to China, India, and the other emerging economies whose demand for fuel is skyrocketing.

So our fuel supply is "short" but not short because it really is, but because more fuel is going elsewhere which means the oil companies earn more on two fronts--- higher prices in the US and higher sales volume in the developing countries where the fuel that would have been sold in the US is going.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Marin wrote:
It's due to the oil companies reducing their sale of fuel in the US so they can sell more of it to China, India, and the other emerging economies whose demand for fuel is skyrocketing.

So our fuel supply is "short" but not short because it really is, but because more fuel is going elsewhere which means the oil companies earn more on two fronts--- higher prices in the US and higher sales volume in the developing countries where the fuel that would have been sold in the US is going.
* * * ** Absolutely true...so says Lou Dobbs.*

******* We can drill until the cows come home and it won't affect the price at the pumps one bit. It would appear that all the crap that's been heaped on the oil companies just might have been justified.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Marin wrote:

* * * ** Absolutely true...so says Lou Dobbs.*

******* We can drill until the cows come home and it won't affect the price at the pumps one bit. It would appear that all the crap that's been heaped on the oil companies just might have been justified.

*Whaat? That, that is a liberal point of view. can the leopard change his spots?
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Whaat? That, that is a liberal point of view. can the leopard change his spots?
* * * ** Thanks, David! I had a bet with Renee that you would come through with a similar remark & you did! I'm now a hundred dollars richer! The statement, however is true. The GD oil companies appear to be the villains as far as the price of gas & diesel is concerned.

Attached Images

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Do you suppose the owner of this is still boatless.* (Derelict on shallow waters in middle of Suisun Bay, on the charts and still there this day.)
Attached Thumbnails
suisun wreck2.jpg  
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #20
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

nobama has actively fought oil production to force the price higher, to make alternative energy sources more feasible. It's an agenda.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote