Boating on a windy day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with B&B, not too different from a neighbor backing his car into yours.
Would you care to share the name of the marina? We get to Solomon's frequently from the Potomac.

If you plan to confront him with an estimate i'd have my phone in my pocket prerecording(so you can just grab it) and some mace in the other(or someone record it from a window). I don't care if you're 6'8 and 300lbs i'd still go with mace(and I carry a gun) I wouldn't risk a broken fingernail on this scumbag but i'd expect confrontation.

If he just gets shouty and belligerent then simply turn over the video to the marina and threaten to leave if they don't deal with it. I doubt you'll get a dime out of the guy but getting rid of him should be easy enough.

Doing nothing and letting it go will only ensure it happens again.

Before I even waited for an estimate I would ask him how he plans on making things right.
Then he strikes first and you have the upper hand.

this thread makes me want to change to bow in . I'm still getting use to the single .and had to abort a docking attempt yesterday an even stronger wind may have made it impossible . I will ask if I can add hanger to the center piling so the 20 foot aft dock line has a place to hang .
I also need to make my wife learn what line goes where so if I get it into position it stays there.

Good point on the mace and the videotaping of the conversation if it turns ugly. As for the gun. LOL. Maryland is pretty strict on gun laws. I’ll be leaving that at home. LOL.

My marina is Spring Cove Marina. In my personal opinion it’s the best on the island. My opinion only of course. Immaculate grounds and restrooms, friendly and knowledgeable staff.

I really do appreciate all of the responses. This is certainly not only specific to trawlers, but I needed guidance. You guys are the best.

this thread makes me want to change to bow in . I'm still getting use to the single .and had to abort a docking attempt yesterday an even stronger wind may have made it impossible . I will ask if I can add hanger to the center piling so the 20 foot aft dock line has a place to hang .
I also need to make my wife learn what line goes where so if I get it into position it stays there.

Was it windy there also? I tell you what.... Even though I wasn’t the guy on the water yesterday... I learned a lot. I will never go out in winds like that. For what? A choppy ride and a freak out session at the dock. No thanks. I can’t imagine anything so urgent that a recreational boat needs to move in such conditions.

Failure to report the accident to the CG can have serious consequences.

Was it windy there also? I tell you what.... Even though I wasn’t the guy on the water yesterday... I learned a lot. I will never go out in winds like that. For what? A choppy ride and a freak out session at the dock. No thanks. I can’t imagine anything so urgent that a recreational boat needs to move in such conditions.

no it wasn't bad . did well on the second attempt . but the weather can change fast .I seem to have the bow blow down wind . I don't have the confidence to power it in .

Similar happened to me 2 years ago. Bring one of the witnesses with you when you confront him. The guy that hit me denied it and called me a liar. I pointed to my witness and said "he and a couple others saw you. Want me to call the marine police right now?" "Well I might have hit you!" he growled back. I got an estimate and he mailed me a check.

Similar happened to me 2 years ago. Bring one of the witnesses with you when you confront him. The guy that hit me denied it and called me a liar. I pointed to my witness and said "he and a couple others saw you. Want me to call the marine police right now?" "Well I might have hit you!" he growled back. I got an estimate and he mailed me a check.

Wow. Just wow!

I have an update. It took a couple weeks, but you’re not going to believe what happened this morning. The guy that hit my boat came over, apologized, thanked me for my help, and offered to pay for the damages.

I have an update. It took a couple weeks, but you’re not going to believe what happened this morning. The guy that hit my boat came over, apologized, thanked me for my help, and offered to pay for the damages.

WOW that is good news great to hear

Apparently the guy was mortified, and obviously pissed. Although I would have preferred that he come to me a couple days after the incident, this is much better than creating an awkward/hostile situation with another season slip holder. Now back to the regularly scheduled boating season. We have a break in the weather today.

Nice conclusion to this awkward situation. Years ago my anchor hit (really just touched) another boat while struggling with an aborted bow in docking attempt at an unfamiliar marina. Later I visited the boat to deliver a 6-pack to the owner. He was unaware of what had happened but was pleased with the free beer :) Happy ending are good [emoji847]

Glad it worked out, sometimes people surprise you.

Great to hear! A weight off your shoulders as well I'm sure. Glad it had a happy, albeit delayed, ending!

Thanks everyone. It is a relief. Especially since I have to walk past his boat about 4 times a day minimum. All is good with the world!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom