Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAlyssa View Post
I get pissed the more I think about it. In my opinion, someone who acts that way has a screw loose.
I think you may be right, because after all, why the hurry to turn his boat to stern in, especially if the wind was still up. I always berth bow in because it's a lot easier to drive in forwards, and reverse out, than the other way round anyway. Especially when the wind is tricky. Surely it could have waited. Too impatient..?
Says quit a bit about his personality I think.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:03 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Well, he’s a multi season slip holder and he’s two slips away. He’s not going anywhere. I’m going to take pictures right now and then get an estimate at the yard then present it to him. I’m going to give him a few days to process his actions. There were about 5 other slip holding boat owning witnesses who all came to his aid and stood at the dock.

Just a side note, this is the same guy that every time I say hi to him, he never replies. Also the same guy (Just learned this after the incident) that had his neighbors ask to move to the other side of my boat so they didn’t have to listen to his and his girlfriends BS.
Perhaps the fellow was too embarrassed to make a proper response.

Before reading your post, I was to suggest you contact the marina. It most likely has the errant boater's insurance information. In the meantime, report the incident with your insurance company. And query the marina if the guy doesn't quickly provide you his insurance info.

I've never backed into a berth with either sailboat or motorboat. Seems like too much bother. Now if one's berth is shorter than the boat and access to the boat is from the stern, that's a different story, but unlikely with sailboats which have narrow sterns and low decks.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Doesnít sound like the type that gets embarrassed, just an ahole. If others had to ask to have him moved in the marina that pretty much tells you about his character. I wouldnít be surprised if he tries to blow you off.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Any normal adult, regardless of level of embarrassment, should know enough to at least say sorry.
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:26 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I can't believe you guys are surprised with this. Does it totally suck?? YES. Is it uncommon? Not really IMO. I've seen captains totally drunk docking their boats and their passengers were all in the same condition. I've also overheard people talking about cocaine and other bad topics. These things happen when you get $1m+ waterfront property for only $6000 a season or less. LOL!

I agree with the others that if he didn't offer an apology or at least some attempt at cordiality then diplomacy is over! That's awful....Some folks are true cartoon characters. CLOWNS.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:

Before reading your post, I was to suggest you contact the marina. It most likely has the errant boater's insurance information. In the meantime, report the incident with your insurance company. And query the marina if the guy doesn't quickly provide you his insurance info.

I've never backed into a berth with either sailboat or motorboat. Seems like too much bother. Now if one's berth is shorter than the boat and access to the boat is from the stern, that's a different story, but unlikely with sailboats which have narrow sterns and low decks.

You've never backed into a berth? Ok, but you know that many of us do right?? Lol

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #27
Guru

HA, Sorry for that,I`d be upset too, but approaching him showing you think he is a four flushing double crossing twicer won`t help. Give him a letter of demand, indicate you hold him responsible,with a repair quote if you can. At the time tell him the same things,see how he responds. If you have to sue him so be it, but keep your cool as if you expect him to respond properly.
My guess is he will blame nature, the wind, etc,anything but himself,but wait and see.
Is the repair cost under your deductible, or should you be talking to your insurer in case you mess it up and they get unhelpful?
Is there a practice of reporting incidents like this to the marina? A plus of him not moving away at this time is you know where he and his boat are.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:00 PM   #28
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Feeling more secure that we have a berth significantly deeper than the boat is long with fingers on both sides.

The situation below is suffered only temporarily and with known competent boaters for an overnight stay:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pittsburg also.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	75739  
Old 04-30-2018, 05:04 AM   #29

City: Solomons Island, MD
Vessel Name: Heather Alyssa
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think you may be right, because after all, why the hurry to turn his boat to stern in, especially if the wind was still up. I always berth bow in because it's a lot easier to drive in forwards, and reverse out, than the other way round anyway. Especially when the wind is tricky. Surely it could have waited. Too impatient..?

Says quit a bit about his personality I think.

My thoughts exactly. It was just as windy as it was when he pulled in the night prior.
HeatherAlyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:08 AM   #30

Quote:

Thank you. I sent the Marina a detailed message before I went to sleep. I think they need to know what happened. If he wonít acknowledge what I saw, imagine what heíll do with at the marina if he crashes his boat with another and no one sees. Obviously hit and run.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:34 AM   #31

City: Henrico, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
I agree with B&B, not too different from a neighbor backing his car into yours.
Would you care to share the name of the marina? We get to Solomon's frequently from the Potomac.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #32

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
If you plan to confront him with an estimate i'd have my phone in my pocket prerecording(so you can just grab it) and some mace in the other(or someone record it from a window). I don't care if you're 6'8 and 300lbs i'd still go with mace(and I carry a gun) I wouldn't risk a broken fingernail on this scumbag but i'd expect confrontation.

If he just gets shouty and belligerent then simply turn over the video to the marina and threaten to leave if they don't deal with it. I doubt you'll get a dime out of the guy but getting rid of him should be easy enough.

Doing nothing and letting it go will only ensure it happens again.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #33
Guru

Before I even waited for an estimate I would ask him how he plans on making things right.
Then he strikes first and you have the upper hand.

New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:01 AM   #34

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
this thread makes me want to change to bow in . I'm still getting use to the single .and had to abort a docking attempt yesterday an even stronger wind may have made it impossible . I will ask if I can add hanger to the center piling so the 20 foot aft dock line has a place to hang .
I also need to make my wife learn what line goes where so if I get it into position it stays there.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 12:35 PM   #35

Good point on the mace and the videotaping of the conversation if it turns ugly. As for the gun. LOL. Maryland is pretty strict on gun laws. Iíll be leaving that at home. LOL.

My marina is Spring Cove Marina. In my personal opinion itís the best on the island. My opinion only of course. Immaculate grounds and restrooms, friendly and knowledgeable staff.

I really do appreciate all of the responses. This is certainly not only specific to trawlers, but I needed guidance. You guys are the best.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb View Post
this thread makes me want to change to bow in . I'm still getting use to the single .and had to abort a docking attempt yesterday an even stronger wind may have made it impossible . I will ask if I can add hanger to the center piling so the 20 foot aft dock line has a place to hang .
I also need to make my wife learn what line goes where so if I get it into position it stays there.

Was it windy there also? I tell you what.... Even though I wasnít the guy on the water yesterday... I learned a lot. I will never go out in winds like that. For what? A choppy ride and a freak out session at the dock. No thanks. I canít imagine anything so urgent that a recreational boat needs to move in such conditions.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM   #37
Guru

Failure to report the accident to the CG can have serious consequences.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:17 PM   #38

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
Quote:
Was it windy there also? I tell you what.... Even though I wasnít the guy on the water yesterday... I learned a lot. I will never go out in winds like that. For what? A choppy ride and a freak out session at the dock. No thanks. I canít imagine anything so urgent that a recreational boat needs to move in such conditions.
no it wasn't bad . did well on the second attempt . but the weather can change fast .I seem to have the bow blow down wind . I don't have the confidence to power it in .
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #39
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Similar happened to me 2 years ago. Bring one of the witnesses with you when you confront him. The guy that hit me denied it and called me a liar. I pointed to my witness and said "he and a couple others saw you. Want me to call the marine police right now?" "Well I might have hit you!" he growled back. I got an estimate and he mailed me a check.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Similar happened to me 2 years ago. Bring one of the witnesses with you when you confront him. The guy that hit me denied it and called me a liar. I pointed to my witness and said "he and a couple others saw you. Want me to call the marine police right now?" "Well I might have hit you!" he growled back. I got an estimate and he mailed me a check.

Wow. Just wow!