Boating on the last day of 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not the last day of 2017, but the first day of 2018. I went for a short day trip from Redwood City to San Leandro Marina, which I hadn't visited before. Aside from a little fog, the weather was great.
DSC_7540.JPG

DSC_7542.JPG

DSC_7550.JPG

PJ,

Let us know if you're coming up into San Pablo Bay or further east anytime soon. This is my favorite anchoring season with no wind and little traffic.

Giggitoni (GB42) and I might be out there in SPB soon for some sturgeon fishing. We'll be easy to spot....2 rafted trawlers in the shallows!

Don't worry if you don't fish. It's really just an excuse for being out in the water.

PJ,

Let us know if you're coming up into San Pablo Bay or further east anytime soon. This is my favorite anchoring season with no wind and little traffic.

Giggitoni (GB42) and I might be out there in SPB soon for some sturgeon fishing. We'll be easy to spot....2 rafted trawlers in the shallows!

Don't worry if you don't fish. It's really just an excuse for being out in the water.

I'm not really a fisherman, but it doesn't take much for me to find an excuse to get out on the water. I had a nice visit to the delta (near Antioch Bridge) around this time last year. I'll try to let you know if I'm planning a trip up that way within the next few weeks.

While there are the occasional rain storms and sometimes high winds, winter in the SF Bay/Delta/Estuary is mostly boat-friendly. Temperatures are usually in the 50s and 60s, and rarely entering freezing temperatures for the lows. If only daylight was longer than 10 hours or so. Fog is a rare occurrence, mostly happening near the Golden Gate. Easy to minimize time in the shipping channels. So there is little excuse not to go boating weatherwise.

In my mid-winter open-cockpit sailboat-racing days in the 1960s, the main complaint was a frequent lack of wind. Otherwise, the weather didn't prevent us from finishing races.

(The main negative with the moderate weather is that too many people want to be here, making life expensive.)

Last edited:
Hi

I just went "cruising" with my tug, no water just inside the hall, sad:banghead:.

I wait 3-4 months and I can drop into the water because of the winter time:ermm:.
20171231_125016.jpg
NBs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom