Old 08-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

City: Charleston
Vessel Name: Ursa
Vessel Model: Paasch custom CPMY
Boat yards Georgia or S.C.

Still chasing Gremlins out of a "new to me" cruiser. Has anyone had a good experience with a full service boat yard in either Georgia or South Carolina? Looking for one that does quality work, stands behind what they do and you would go back to for future work. Needs to have capability to haulout 65 foot with 17 foot beam ~ 75,000 lb.
Need servicing on Niad stabilizers, prop shaft/engine alignment, watermaker replacement.

I would appreciate any input - as to the good, the bad and the ugly. Boat is presently in Brunswick, Ga. and can can go up the coast. Need to stay above the Fla. line for insurance reasons until H season is done so preferably a yard northward.
Thanks in advance
Bostonwhaler16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Thunderbolt Marine in Savannah checks all those boxes. I had a lot of work done there on my 61'LOA Hatteras that was also about 75,000lbs. I was usually one of the smallest boats in the yard. They were extremely professional, accurate in their estimates, and stood behind their work, as I found out first hand.

I have heard second hand that the yard there at Brunswick Landing is good, as is Hinkley in Savannah. Worth interviewing each of them. Savannah is a nice place to hang out while you wait for your work to be done.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #3

Looking at various forum posts Thunderbolt seems to be a consistent winner. Love the Hatteras line. Was trying to find an LRC, but couldn't locate one that was in my budget that wasn't a major project boat. Happy with where I ended up and will be happier once I get the last of the deferred maint. items addressed. Thanks for the input. Chip
Old 08-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #4

City: punta gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43MY
Just another data point, a friend who’s very particular about the maintenance on his Hatteras 55C has nothing but good things to say about Marine Propulsion in Rockville, SC...about twice as far as Savannah though.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
I would avoid the Brunswick Landing boatyard at this time.
The yard manager is leaving this month, there is one full time employee left, and there is a backlog of work not done.
The yard repeatedly delayed starting repairs which I wanted done, until I finally did them myself with the assistance of a dock neighbor.
The Marina is a different animal entirely. Competent dockmaster and dock help, good neighbors, many here for the summer from Florida waters, nice areas and services within driving distance, and thrice weekly happy hours with appetizers brought by boaters, and free wine and cheap beer provided by the marina.
We will be here working on minor stuff through August, when we will move North to the Chesapeake for the next couple of months.
JohnS, Cheoy Lee 40 LRC, La Vita Dolce
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

Wpc691. Thanks for the lead on Marine Propulsion. Knew Stevens Towing yard was in that area ,but didn't know about Marine Propulsion. Looks like a viable option from their website.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

John S: I am currently moored over at Morningstar around the bend. I heard some scuttlebut that the boatyard was having some problems and your experience certainly confirms that.
Where are you headed on the Cheasapeake? I worked in DC for a while and was a sailor on the bay cursing stinkpotters back then! Since got religion and converted - also got older and bigger and probably couldn't shimmy around stays too quickly anymore!
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #8
Guru

If you are going to go as far north as Charleston, I'd give the folks at Ross Marine a call.

John: thanks for the up to the minute local knowledge. Is Sherry still the dock mistress at BLM? Really a great marina.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 08-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
If you are going to go as far north as Charleston, I'd give the folks at Ross Marine a call.

John: thanks for the up to the minute local knowledge. Is Sherry still the dock mistress at BLM? Really a great marina.
In a word, no. Not for a few years. She made a big mistake asking for a raise. In all the years she was there she never got one. When she became insistent she was fired. At least that was the scuttlebutt last time I was there.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
In a word, no. Not for a few years. She made a big mistake asking for a raise. In all the years she was there she never got one. When she became insistent she was fired. At least that was the scuttlebutt last time I was there.
Wow, what a shame. How long ago was that?

Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 PM   #11

City: Indianapolis
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Bostonwhaler16, We haven't decided exactly where we will go, but we have a couple of cruising guides, some friends near the Bay, and a couple of months to do it in.
We plan to be back in Florida after Nov 1, first at Ft Pierce for a while, then points Soith and to the Bahamas.
JohnS
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I've heard good about Thunderbird, except one former competitor. Heard excellent about Hinckley. Heard negative on Brunswick Landing's boatyard. Depending on type of work, a couple of Charleston and Myrtle Beach yards are ok but then excellent yards in Southport and Wilmington.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
"Has anyone had a good experience with a full service boat yard in either Georgia or South Carolina? Looking for one that does quality work, stands behind what they do and you would go back to for future work. Needs to have capability to haulout 65 foot with 17 foot beam ~ 75,000 lb.
Need servicing on Naiad stabilizers, prop shaft/engine alignment, watermaker replacement."

No personal experience with Thunderbolt/Hinckley in SAV but heard mainly good things. I just had major Naiad service, prop/engine alignment, shafts straightened, Cutlass bearings & lots of other stuff done at Zimmermans Southport, - Not in SC/GA where I live duh but I will certainly go back there in future. J Jess is the yard manager. Southport also a nice little town to hang out.