Is it a boat or a yacht? Handgrenade question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You do not have a yacht if you do not wear a captain's hat, a blue blazer, and white pants while boating. You would not be in character. .... I definitely do not have a yacht.

Attachments

• radiated mark.jpg
    radiated mark.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 16
I'm in a tee shirt, shorts (in the summer) and a long bill cap.

Not going out anytime soon while the "atmospheric river" continues in.

After a flannel, jeans and a derby! Still have my yacht - :)

Was talking to an older gentleman that was wandering around the marina one afternoon while I was taking a break from the project that I’m currently working on. He was curious as to what I was doing with coveralls on so I brought him aboard and filled him in on what I’m up to. He told me that when I’m done I will have a fine looking yacht. I had never thought of it in those terms before.
Beauty is in the eye beholder,,,beer holder?

I'm in a tee shirt, shorts (in the summer) and a long bill cap.

Not going out anytime soon while the "atmospheric river" continues in.

After a flannel, jeans and a derby! Still have my yacht - :)

Nevertheless, out of uniform.

I sometimes refer to my boat as a Grandpa/Grandma boat. 42 foot, 4 steps max, only sleeps 4 with a menopause (twin beds) master cabin layout. Pefect

When I went out to find a web site for Fintry, "Fintry.com" was available for $1,000. Since she had plenty of good places to use $1,000 we settled on mvfintry.com (Motor Vessel). I don't think I've ever used the word "yacht" in connection with a boat we've owned.

On boat shirts and boat cards she's "m/v Fintry".

There was a comment above that in Oz a yacht has sails. That's also true in Great Britain while in the USA a yacht will usually be a powerboat.

Jim

yacht vs boat

When my father was in the Navy he called his destroyer a Boat.

All Submarines are called "Boats", however they call anything on the surface a "Target" so that answers the question, FINALLY LOL!:dance:

yacht or knot

We have a yoat. Some where between the two. When we try to sell it it"s a yacht, but when the tax assessor comes it's a boat. When we moor at a fancy place we pull out our Ted Knight caddy shack standee. Boat owners think its funny,yacht owners don"t.

Cheers
J.T.

Which Navy was that, Oliver? :) I may have heard a person jokingly refer to one of the three destroyers I served in a boat, maybe. But when we were all sober, she was a ship.

I’m miss seeing the handgrenage title of this thread. Was my daily chuckle.

I am surprised it has not been a hand grenade thread. I suppose it is because no one here owns a yacht. The thread has been enlightening for me. What I have discovered is that sellers sell yachts and owner have boats. That little acknowledgement has lead to far better internet searches for items that I am looking for.
I have never called boats anything but boats so naturally that is what I have been searching under. I tend to get many low quality hits on items for kayaks and pontoon boats. When I include "yacht" in the search, I get many better hits for the items that I am searching for. I had no idea that no-one owned a yacht but everyone had to purchase one and maintain one.

Your searches have shown we all have yachts, but are modest people and call them boats so the non boater friends do not get the wrong idea.

There will always be a bigger boat

I was surprised to learn this a few years ago. I had a 28' Duckworth fishing boat and thought I wasn't a small craft anymore.

"There's no exact legal definition of a small craft; however, small craft advisories are generally intended for vessels less than 65 feet in length OR for any vessel likely to be adversely impacted by the weather conditions expected with a Small Craft Advisory.

Similar to the exact definition of a small craft, small craft advisories vary from location to location. Generally, they are posted when winds are expected to range from 28 to 38 mph or waves of 5 to 7'. However, the wind range may drop as low as 24 mph for harbors or bays, and waves as low as 4'. There are other local variations which forecasters take into effect."

I remember years ago being told that a boat can't carry a boat, but a yacht can. I am not sure if that clears up anything.

I was surprised to learn this a few years ago. I had a 28' Duckworth fishing boat and thought I wasn't a small craft anymore.

"There's no exact legal definition of a small craft; however, small craft advisories are generally intended for vessels less than 65 feet in length OR for any vessel likely to be adversely impacted by the weather conditions expected with a Small Craft Advisory.

Similar to the exact definition of a small craft, small craft advisories vary from location to location. Generally, they are posted when winds are expected to range from 28 to 38 mph or waves of 5 to 7'. However, the wind range may drop as low as 24 mph for harbors or bays, and waves as low as 4'. There are other local variations which forecasters take into effect."

Small Craft Advisory [SCA]: Since late 1950's, when first being able to recognize importance of marine-weather condition warnings. SCA has always meant to me to simply be very careful... things on the water could get real snotty unexpectedly. Proceed at will.

Elusive SCA Definition:

A small craft advisory is a type of wind warning issued by the National Weather Service in the United States. In Canada a similar warning is issued by Environment Canada. It is issued when winds have reached, or are expected to reach within 12 hours, a speed marginally less than gale force.

Back
Top Bottom