Old 12-07-2018, 06:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Are you trying to stream 2 devices for hours on end?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:13 PM   #22

City: NYC, NY
I have been using this when stationary:
https://goo.gl/E4FyeD

Setup is a little technical but just follow the directions in the video and/or the blog and you'll be up and running pretty quickly.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking to add a wifi to the boat. To be clear, it's for when I am in a marina I can connect to the internet. Maybe I am looking for a wireless booster?

I am looking to be able to hook into the boat's wifi system similar to what I have in my home.

I hope this makes sense.

I am getting quotes of 6K. This seems ridiculous to me. I am pretty handy and pull all of the lines myself. What system do you all use? How hard is it to set up myself?
We have a Halo extender by Redport. It works well.
https://www.amazon.com/Range-Marine-...dp/B01HYLC6EA#
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #24
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
I have been using this when stationary:
https://goo.gl/E4FyeD

Setup is a little technical but just follow the directions in the video and/or the blog and you'll be up and running pretty quickly.
This is pretty much what I have but the omnidirectional antenna instead.

The atricle says WEP isnt all that common anymore and I am not sure thats true as I see it quite regularly.

The article says with the setup, it neans you have a stronger conndction, but not necessarily stronger wifi, which is my complaint....

But not being VERY tech savy, I am still not sure if I am having software issues or compatibility with gateway issues or just hitting mird znd mord dry holes.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 AM   #25

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Be aware that even “unlimited “ plans will throttle you after 15gb hotspot streaming and 20gb streaming directly off the host device. Dedicated cellular data nodes do not have this restriction. If all you do is email and web surfing this is no issue, but if you, like us, use it primarily to replace traditional TV it will be a problem.
We have not had that problem. We use a hot spot here at home for laptop, tablet, and netflix viewing all at the same time with no issue . The only issue we have is group Messaging. That will kill the hot spot for some reason. We turn off the data for messaging while using the phone for a hot spot.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #26
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freespool View Post
I am looking to add a wifi to the boat. To be clear, it's for when I am in a marina I can connect to the internet. Maybe I am looking for a wireless booster?

I am looking to be able to hook into the boat's wifi system similar to what I have in my home.

I am getting quotes of 6K. This seems ridiculous to me. I am pretty handy and pull all of the lines myself. What system do you all use? How hard is it to set up myself?

We just use a very inexpensive external USB-powered adapter, Wave Stealth from Radio Labs, with a laptop. $125 or so. Works at most places, and we've gotten quarter-mile reception before, and that's usually with the adapter/antenna still inside the saloon.

Then we use either laptop as a hotspot for additional devices if necessary, largely just to save typing login info over and over again. Hotspot is included in Win 10, and we use Connectify for an older Win 7 laptop (there are likely other virtual hotspot apps).

-Chris
Old 12-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #27

City: Toronto ON
Chris and Cherie have all the up to date information on nomadic connectivity:
They have made it their business to stay right up to date on all matters for accessing the internet, both boating and RVing.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

some free info, and a membership. if starting from scratch, money saved by just doing it right, more than equals the membership.

nice people, honest reporting.
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I’m late to the game.

What I have is a credlepoint mbr1200B router with two cellular modems, and a satcom link as a internet connection.

The two cellular and satcom links are set up in a fail over configuration. If the cheap cellular works, great, if it goes down then the more expensive cellular is tried, and last case the satcom is used.

Easy peasy, and I have internet all the time. The router will also use a wifi as it’s internet connection but I do not use that feature.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #29

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: Maverick
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
We use a glomex webboat with a project fi data only SIM card, gives good pay as you go LTE data if you can live with T mobile coverage which is what project fi, now google fi is providing. Its a nice pay as you go data plan. The glomex webboat broadcasts a boat wide WiFi signal. Also allows you to use shore side WiFi when available. It would be nice if they covered more LTE bands, and I here a new version is in the works.
Eric
helm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #30
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I simply use a mobile hot spot on both Iphone and Ipad with a WeBoost antenna.

I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon.

The Goods: For the most part, doing the Great Loop, I've almost always had a connection. Rarely without phone service.

The Bads: The streaming and data is limited to 15g per unit (15 for the Iphone and 15 for the Ipad). So streaming using the hotspot computer to view, just eats data like crazy. And once the data is used up it reverts to a slower speed, which is only good for emails and a few really light duty web pages, but very slow. (almost useless).

Did NOT work well in Canada because the Canadian provider limits everyone to 5g per day. I fought Verizon on this as they said, and sent me in writing, that I'd have unlimited there, so I got 2 refunds from them.... going for more. But, I couldn't find any solution for Canada.

The Cost: about $700 for the WeBoost, fairly easy install
Verizon at $110 a month.

So, we did most of the streaming on the Ipad, which was ok, but a small viewing area. (the larger Ipad would have been much better).

Goal now: to get streaming to a TV without a data limit.

and FWIW: WiFi at marinas was poor to terrible at 96% of the marinas we went to.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:36 AM   #31
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
To stream to a full sized tv you need to hard wire into an HDMI port on the tv. This way Verizon won’t be able to detect a remote streaming device and won’t throttle you down. The adapter is only available from Apple directly AFAIK. To avoid being tethered to the tv via a 24” charging cord go online and get a couple of 10’ FireWire extension cables, that way your streaming device will act as a wired remote that you can run from the sofa in the saloon.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #32

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The only other thing I can think of is that some access points are set up to only connect to specific devices. It's mostly used for point to point setups as opposed to open access points. I've seen a few of those with symptoms like you describe. No password, you can connect (sometimes), but no data flow.
That is our experience too. Some marinas wifi will not transfer data thru an amplifier, even though our I-devices will connect directly. Hotspot on our I-phone usually works great until we go over our monthly limit, then it slows to 2G speeds.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #33

City: MN and FL
Vessel Name: Serendipitous
Vessel Model: Mainship 390, Bayliner 3258, Bayliner 4788
Not sure what you are getting for $6k, but whatever it is it is definitely overkill based on your use-case.

I am heavily dependent on wi-fi (knowledge worker) and have two outdoor wi-fi 'antennas' (Wireless APs). One is directional (Ubiquity Nanostation M2) for very long range. With this one I can connect to Cable-WiFi Alliance hotspots more than 5km away, but I have to 'aim' it. The other is a Mikrotik Groove, which is good for connecting to the Marina's wifi or (in emergencies) my cellular phone hotspot. Both are mounted on the radar arch, and connect to a Mikrotik 951Ui, which then serves up the wifi throughout the boat. I think my total cost for everything including the enclosure for the Groove is under $600.

Bob Stewart at islandtimepc dot com will sell you an entire system at a modest markup, set everything up before shipping it to you and has excellent instructions for installing it. Unless you are a networking expert, you can save a lot of time and frustration by getting your stuff from Bob and installing it yourself.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #34

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Lots of good advice here. Having a separate access point / router is definitely more flexible but not for the novice. If you want to stream onboard consider a router and chrome cast or fire stick. As others have said having a phone / hot spot AND a WiFi system is the most flexible.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:00 PM   #35
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
I've done quite a fair share of installs for "boat internet" ranging from WiFi to LTE/cellular, and many other options. I've also written an article or two on my site about various options to choose, but one of the previous posters has it right:

Boats are just like apartments or houses - none of them are the same, none of our budgets are the same, and add in to the mix that your travel profile could be wildly different than the next person, and you have a complex set of choices when you're looking at getting internet on your boat.

I personally recommend the Peplink products because I've installed 100's of them and had very little issues, great customer reviews, and they are easier to use than many of the cheaper solutions. Combine that with an amplifier/booster for LTE service, an outdoor WiFi booster like a MikroTik, and you have a full solution that can grab remote WiFi signals when available, and use LTE/cellular the rest of the time.

There are a few plans out there on the LTE side that are essentially unlimited, but they slow you down after 20-30GB of transfer per month, or when you're in a congested area. At least in my cruising grounds, which is Puget Sound/Seattle/British Columbia, I have found that WiFi is less and less available, and less and less reliable, so having a good LTE system is important to me.

Happy to provide more specific advise via a PM if needed.
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #36
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
So why do I need WiFi? Its a serious question.

Currently we have Verizon cell service. As long as I have cell service I have access to the internet. I use my phone as a "hotspot," regardless if I am in a marina or not. I also have a cell booster.

So again why do I need to spend money on WiFi?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:22 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

Currently we have Verizon cell service. As long as I have cell service I have access to the internet. I use my phone as a "hotspot," regardless if I am in a marina or not. I also have a cell booster.

I prefer having both choices, as I am a high bandwidth user. I can easily blow through 30GB on T-Mobile in a week or less, and they start slowing me down. I have the Verizon "unlimited" plan as well as a secondary SIM in my router, but when I am close to metro areas like Seattle and the like, they slow it down too.

Having WiFi allows me to connect to a network and still continue to use lots of bandwidth and save the cell bandwidth for when I am further away.

Many people will not need WiFi if they have a good cell plan/provider, and don't do tons of bandwidth-intensive stuff.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #38
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemitchell View Post
I prefer having both choices, as I am a high bandwidth user. I can easily blow through 30GB on T-Mobile in a week or less, and they start slowing me down.

Many people will not need WiFi if they have a good cell plan/provider, and don't do tons of bandwidth-intensive stuff.

From what I understand a VPN can take care of that.
I don't like big brother looking over my shoulder so have been running one for years anyway and do a fair amount of bandwith intensive stuff.

https://www.privacyend.com/bypass-isp-throttling/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #39
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

We stream at least one British murder mystery at 90 minutes or more nearly every evening. We also stream music to the boat much of the day via Bluetooth. Add in my wife’s hour and a half streaming her soaps to her pad before I get up and it adds up. Once your “unlimited plan” reaches its limit and slows you down, you’ll be looking for some fast WiFi.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
From what I understand a VPN can take care of that.
I don't like big brother looking over my shoulder so have been running one for years anyway.

https://www.privacyend.com/bypass-isp-throttling/
I run a VPN always as well, but that won't get you around account limits or throttling when you're in a dense area where they are doing "traffic management". The amount of data you stream per month is tied to your IMEI / SIM card and you can't get around them with a VPN. If the provider is doing some sort of throttling due to the amount of people or something else, a VPN won't get around that either.

I run a VPN for privacy, and to get around the video downsampling they do. On Verizon, they will reduce your video quality to 720p or 480p from HD just to save on bandwidth.