Boat Transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CapeWhaler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serena
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
Sorry if I'm plowing old ground but didn't have much luck using 'Search.' With the Covid virus travel issues and the closing of the Canadian border I'm throwing in the towel on bringing Serena back from Michigan on her own bottom and looking to have her trucked. LOA of 40', 14' beam, c22K#, a fly bridge that will likely have to be removed, etc., etc...

Any experiences of a similar move appreciated as well as thoughts on movers used. I've heard good things about Dave's Marine Transport from Ohio. Anyone else you've dealt with?

Thanks -
Joe

Professional Captain

There are instances of hired captains being permitted to cross the border.

Perhaps this would be worth exploring as you could do most of the trip yourself.

Another option would be calling CBSA to discuss. If you are simply entering Canada to run the Welland, they might permit you to quarantine aboard for your transit.

Best Wishes

I have used Lockview Marina & Transport in Catuga (Finger Lakes) NY.
My brother had used them previously and my yard provided a very high recommendation.
I would recommend them without hesitation. Contact is Allison Johnston 345-255-2936.
They may not be the rock bottom cost but I found them excellent to work with and communication was excellent. No vested interest other than a very satisfied customer.
I don't know if they will do any prep like bridge removal or not - worth inquiring.
Others on TF have recommended having your home yard mechanic travel to the start to at least participate with removal to ensure all goes well for replacement.

If you could consider great lakes transport to Lk Erie your overland transport would by rather short to Albany to continue on via Hudson. You shouldn't have to worry about Canada border if you go Michigan to Lk Huron to Lk Erie to Buffalo area.
With trucking it's the mileage that makes the difference - prep & reassembly all the same.

There are instances of hired captains being permitted to cross the border.

Perhaps this would be worth exploring as you could do most of the trip yourself.

Another option would be calling CBSA to discuss. If you are simply entering Canada to run the Welland, they might permit you to quarantine aboard for your transit.

Best Wishes

The NY State canal System is closed and the Seaway (Welland, St. Lawrence) locks are closed to pleasurecraft. Neither authority has given any news as to when that may change.

Ah, yes, I recall hearing about the NYS canal closure.

Perhaps I should limit my bright ideas to my neighborhood :blush:.

Thank you!

The NY State canal System is closed and the Seaway (Welland, St. Lawrence) locks are closed to pleasurecraft. Neither authority has given any news as to when that may change.
NY canals have approx 8 locks that were undergoing winter maintenance & renovation when shut down occurred halting work. Full opening will likely be some time as those locks span Eastern and Western Erie, and Champlain canal.
There have been "talk" of regional openings for local traffic only but no specifics yet.

NY canals have approx 8 locks that were undergoing winter maintenance & renovation when shut down occurred halting work. Full opening will likely be some time as those locks span Eastern and Western Erie, and Champlain canal.
There have been "talk" of regional openings for local traffic only but no specifics yet.

Yeah, I'm watching this closely. I have two boats in Florida and one in Georgia waiting to be delivered to Lake Ontario.

Remember that most reporting stations are also closed in Ontario so forget using a Capt to deliver. I believe Gananoque is the closest to the great lakes.

Yeah, I'm watching this closely. I have two boats in Florida and one in Georgia waiting to be delivered to Lake Ontario.
The largest # down for maintenance is in the Troy to 3Rivers section. The other alt that could open sooner is via Lk Champlain to St Lawrence but there is one in the NY stretch there that's down also.
Edit - this just released but still many req'd for transit TBD

http://www.canals.ny.gov/wwwapps/tas/notices/index.aspx

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback. The NY canal closures add to the mix of challenges for a return via water; I had planned coming via the Trent-Severn and Oswego/Erie so lots of unknowns there for some time it sounds like. The other factor is simply traveling to Michigan to prep the boat with so many questions still swirling around the virus, flying, driving, motels, etc. The marina out there just started launching boats but is still pretty locked down as far as business office, service shop, showers/restrooms.

Bacchus - Yeah, I looked at the Huron/Erie route but didn't like the distance and wanted to avoid the Welland/Buffalo area...besides just wanting to do the TSW.

Well...just keeping researching to see what I can work out. Again, thanks for the responses.
Joe

Did you get to fully commission the boat last year? The Lake Erie route isn't that bad, and it still seems somewhat likely that the Erie Canal will open some time this year. You could do the trip with appropriate social distancing. And there are competent yards in Buffalo that could store or ship the boat in the fall if you can't get further east.

I dunno, it seems like a shame to give up on the trip, though agree that the best part is through Canada. Maybe get to Brewerton this year, haul there and see what 2021 looks like? Easy to hit the TS from there.

Sounds like a good trip if you stay independent and flexible :). But I understand your concern over travel.

I'd go boating on Lake Michigan, Huron and Erie and get the boat near Buffalo, then decide on a solution. Within that time, things should be far clearer. I'd expect to see some clarity by June 15 on all the waterways involved.

What is your air draft? That will define what routes are available to you using the Erie, if and when it opens. You may end up trucking it a very short distance.

Joe, I can't help you with any transport logistics but when we brought our boat from MI to OR one of the smartest things I did was to have the guy who would put the boat back together do the takedown. He marked every wire so when it came to recommissioning it was pretty straightforward.

I don't know if that would work now with this COVID because he might have to quarantine on both ends if he made that trip. Things are tough right now for anyone who wants/needs to cross borders or even state lines.

Good luck.

Jeff - Yeah getting 'Easted' as far as possible would be ideal, but the boat does still need some tweaks before starting a long trip. So the commute to MI during the virus and lockdowns is a consideration for me. I'm not cowering in fear but I'm a healthy 75, which I guess still puts me in a 'high risk' group, so I'd like a little more clarity on the primary and after affects of Covid-19...just in case; seems like a lot of unknowns yet. The TSW would be a 'once in a lifetime' for me so hate to give it up. If I cab get the boat out here and in the shape I want it, perhaps do the trip from this end in a year or two.

Bx2 - Yes, Lake MI and Huron are nice cruising and we've had a chance to enjoy the boat out there the past couple of years during trips out there to work on her. The boat was in generally good shape when purchased in late 2017 but had sat unused for a number of years so lot of little things to attend to. Problem right now, as mentioned above, is some concern about traveling out there until the virus shows some signs og being understood better.

Anyway, again, thank to all for the thoughts. We'll get there!!
Joe

Jeff - Yeah getting 'Easted' as far as possible would be ideal, but the boat does still need some tweaks before starting a long trip. So the commute to MI during the virus and lockdowns is a consideration for me. I'm not cowering in fear but I'm a healthy 75, which I guess still puts me in a 'high risk' group, so I'd like a little more clarity on the primary and after affects of Covid-19...just in case; seems like a lot of unknowns yet. The TSW would be a 'once in a lifetime' for me so hate to give it up. If I cab get the boat out here and in the shape I want it, perhaps do the trip from this end in a year or two.

Bx2 - Yes, Lake MI and Huron are nice cruising and we've had a chance to enjoy the boat out there the past couple of years during trips out there to work on her. The boat was in generally good shape when purchased in late 2017 but had sat unused for a number of years so lot of little things to attend to. Problem right now, as mentioned above, is some concern about traveling out there until the virus shows some signs og being understood better.

Anyway, again, thank to all for the thoughts. We'll get there!!
Joe

I think you're right to have your concerns and I wouldn't trade all the boat in the world for safety if I were you. Time to take all precautions. You're dealing with multiple hot spots that could become inflamed quickly again.

I think you're right to have your concerns and I wouldn't trade all the boat in the world for safety if I were you. Time to take all precautions. You're dealing with multiple hot spots that could become inflamed quickly again.
Agreed. I'm heading out to do some cruising on the Canadian side of the great lakes, but I'm in my 50s and already self isolating aboard. Different cases.

This virus sucks.

Jeff, totally agree. Just imagine how much it sucks for those who have lost a loved one (almost 91,000 in the US so far).

Jeff, totally agree. Just imagine how much it sucks for those who have lost a loved one (almost 91,000 in the US so far).

Wifey B: A lot of people who have lost more than one loved one or friend. Much like when several members of a family are in a fatal auto accident.

Hello Joe,

I am about a 1/3 of the way through the same project. I am having our 37 NT FB sent back from River Forest Marina east of Ft Myers to Grand Haven MI next weekend. I leave Tuesday to go down and check out the deconstruction of the boat before it gets loaded. So far RF marina has been great to work with and so has American Marine Transport out of Harrison Township MI. They were about middle of the road price wise and came recommended buy a couple of repeat customers. So far I am very pleased with everybody. I have met the guys at RF in Florida and they seem to do very good work. We looked at hiring a captain to bring the boat back, both routes and it was expensive and going to be full of unseen surprises with everything that is taking place (Floods, Covid & Storms). We also looked at shipping it to Lake Erie and saving a little money but logistically with us working full time I think sending it to our home port by the house is the best option. If you want to discuss send me a PM and we can exchange numbers. If your interested send me a note on the June 7th, that's my target date to have it back together and in the water. I may have a total different take on the project then, time will tell.
Scott

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom