Boat Tracking real time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spot user

Until more reviews are in, I'd question the reliability of the Spot X tracking. It was quite unreliable on the original Spot, and quite reliable on the inReach. Recent changes: inReach has been bought by Garmin, which always seems to make things less reliable, and the Spot X is supposed to have verified position reporting which they lacked before (reports were sent in the blind). Initial reviews on Spot X not encouraging.

I've used an inReach all over the US, up into Canada, and down to the Exumas, with perfect reliability.

We have been using a Spot for years. Coverage is world wide and terrific in the Bahamas.

Whether cruising off shore, off roading in Utah or more recently touring Patagonia from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia to Baraloche we were always in communication with family and friends.

We’ve had an inReach for 4 years. Very reliable before garmin, still pretty darn good. Had a few instances of dropped tracking going N/S intacoastal, always seemed to be relatively near nuclear plants. AIS coverage in Bahamas is NOT good. Get an inReach, you won’t regret it

If you have a ham radio license, it's easy. The Automatic Position Reporting System (APRS) relays automatic transmissions from hams who use it to the Internet, where anybody can follow all the users, including location on a world map, Lat/Lon, Speed and course.
Most of this is done on VHF with small transceivers, even handheld ones, but for greater distances from shore, an HF radio would be necessary.
-- Tom

Use the NEBO app for basic tracking. If SOS, email communication, etc., are needed go with InReach. We've used InReach for several years, before Garmin bought DeLorme, have not seen any loss of service. Garmin has even come out with a couple of lower cost mini-InReaches.

Phone app or web site to track AIS is easy and a good way to go. But it only works when your boat is within range of a shore station that picks up AIS signals and pushes them up to the web. I'm not familiar with the Bahamas but there are big portions of the west coast where you go "dark". People tracking you get worried for no good reason.

I 100% agree, as it was my experience as well. I have transponder AIS unit and in Bahamas you're mostly in "stealth mode" until you reach major ports with towers to pick up your signal.

Just to be clear, you're definitely broadcasting live signal and vessels in range will pick up your signal. It's the world wide web updates that won't get those constant signals until the nearest tower picks it up. It could be days and days before you get picked up from one port to another and your location is updated via the apps suggested earlier.

I don't have experience in live tracking, but I have been using inReach Delorme for few years now. When I send a text message to family and friends, besides latest position, they get latest track as well. It's been very reliable for reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Craig

I would like for my children to be able to track me on my journey from home, in case of incapacitating emergencies. I will be all over the Bahamas. What is the least expensive, simplest system to allow that?

AIS along with the Marine Traffic app. My daughter tracked me from New Jersey to Florida this fall. 16 days she knew where I was. Hope this was helpful.

I've seen some people leave a comment and short change you on benefits, although you did only ask for tracking, so I'll address that first.

FORGET Spot. There process is to track but only keep them for a week. If you don't move them off their site they are lost. I used to have Spot and dumped it because of this. inReach is a much better product and here (https://share.garmin.com/NepidaeTrawler) is our track for the last 2yrs. We are on the Loop and I'm sorry I didn't dump Spot OFF sooner.

My track is a 10min reporting. We use the inReach Explorer+

Now the other benefits for you to consider;
1) with inReach, and I will only be addressing inReach so I don't have to type it a million times, there are 3 free messages. I have mine setup with message 1, being a broadcast to my 20+ contact list, we are leaving. I send that as we are preparing to leave. The message also says we'll contact you when we arrive. Message 2 is, we've arrived, all is well and we'll be back in touch tomorrow. Message 3, is a step before an SOS, kind of like a PanPan in USCG lingo. Says we are having an issue and will keep them posted. They have our location so if First responders are needed I would then send an SOS, convenient button, but I also have my 20+ 'watchers' backup as well.

2) I don't but you can use it for social media communications.

3) weather reports on the unit.

4)Explorer has maps that you can set routes & waypoints.

5) Satellite communications so no wifi or cell towers to worry about.

6) 35 hrs on a battery with 10min broadcasts, nice to know your battery won't crap out if someone is looking for you.

There is more but go to the Garmin site to check it out. Oh, mention Garmin. At this point it isn't interfaced, at least to my knowledge, and I've only scratched the surface in its use, to a Garmin chartplotter, but never say never. Garmin is a much larger company behind the product. Expect more.

As someone said you can suspend your service with inReach, with Spot you pay for a year, use it or not. Many different plans to meet your needs. We cruise for about 6mo out of the year right now, so we only pay for that.

Also, someone said use an AIS transponder and a phone app, well, not the best solution, even with AIS onboard. The APPS are not real time. So you could be moving and the app has you stopped. A LOT OF COMMUNICATION STEPS in its broadcast. The use of those is really for companies to keep an eye on their fleets. I have 3 merchant mariner sons who I keep an eye on with the app Marine Traffic. AIS is also not satellite.

We have ours setup on the bridge, next to the Garmin VIRB camera. We film our travels as we move, from dock to dock. Great to look back at the travels.

Any questions, let me know.

Best regards,
Charles
Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA 3927
AGLCA 12114

Please keep in mind that emails show no emotion, often omit words, and may be perceived as the opposite of what is intended. A simple phone call is the fastest way to straighten out any misunderstanding or questions.

Position Tracking

I just checked out Marine Tracker. Excellent web site and very easy way to share with my family where we are. As long as my AIS is on they can go to the Marine Tracker web site, input our MMSI number and see where we are on a live map. Awesome.

inReach

I have used the inReach for years up and down the East Coast. It reports position every ten minutes and as far as I can tell; it has been accurate. I only use the tracking feature. Now that Garmin is running things, who knows.

We use Garmin inReach and we also have an AIS transponder. Garmin allows you to suspend the service when you are not cruising.

Tracker

Don’t know the name but hikers in remote areas have a system . Worked well for my brother-in-law
Google away and good luck !

InReach has coverage all over the globe and is reliable.
It can give 10 min position updates continuously.
The pc map feature is good also.
Earthmate has sgn app for Android to send and receive messages via the InReach.

Go with it, you won't be unhappy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom