Boat Towing - Ranger 31

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am considering purchasing a Ranger 31CB. Never towed a big boat like this...

Have you looked at the logistics of towing wide/oversized loads at all? Before choosing the truck I would look at your state requirements for towing R31, because you cannot just "pick it up and go". It is too wide for that (most states set limit at 8.5 feet).

R-27 is "trailerable" but R29 and R31 are not.

Alex

Towing is one part of the equation. when considering a tow vehicle. The angle of boat ramps and the base of the ramp itself should be considered when launching and retrieving. You may need the one ton single axle truck if you plan on using as a regular weekly vehicle , depending on the gear ratio of the drive train on steeper angles. This is the case with the tides the further north up the east coast you go with your trailer setup .

Getting state permits is NBD, details in the #27 link

But personally I'd prefer to keep it below 8.5" beam

Oh yes! You need a one ton diesel dually 4X4 if you are one of the folks with less than half a brain, wanting to follow too close at 70mph uphill on I70 mountain passes in 100+° heat day after day.
I've towed 12,000lbs with a 300hp gasser and electric trailer brakes over 20,000 miles with no problem at all...and my TV is rated at 9,000 lbs.
Here's a pic so you know to keep well clear of me if you see me on the road.
coUamNu1Shak2VgWSYFk8-k8LUPEl3zdxPsVbYE4hlMW4N4-BuUwYqU5x4UevQUTcrtGexOQcdjcOqbDeg9B5RmlNwX3qqJAspj8sB5jvRMEzRdCUZ4-Ce5sR3uFz7H5d5AbYiWq4zllqbkiVxcek5L_QkPijmZ_rH3dAdGU1MIUvwANhDWXWzHlohv0TTdeAGX5W7ZG6SZW7IZE__xt5uVL1qJKxBLy6emnCUtZHimeSE4a9qMcxGvFw68TRFhQEyfSZnN2qFuaP-b-dBq8ndX0OaMgEd-j_2ukvB5gFseOc_xbhyMvy0kFlLVXzS5HkOtSXBIxIja8Qr54fy9D6O4EDoMUbuje8_sdfcKToZRTxhjI71e4H7WVTo1SOT5xa660_GqtMc6YOb28AmZLa6wV74aLPiWirPUdY43ecomnEvM0WBkBj6pg66I_En0qYfvfQcPxFh5Ke87Q-2FqwIXC-hmZ6vetpnTE88YcKk7HRHgA5DAAgbr9q6dOKV9fupRa7jX3mTA81Vmv2xhnPJ0g2sZhLzc5D0AsdK1gFQaIU3DYkhvqn4hPNQkZpofvLlqamfGwCN5LKNkWf13eORFsf0GbGLAaLq45GxpjaWfw-gSjJ_DS3Eq1GhOJSLqz-lfq_8wNqwZtC7bOUbQNTxakYjc9lNDgzqqXRsw90YiDOyTpj5d-VKD_0qTvLyUTqpuXNGylsDtK-tnovSU=w1309-h738-no

How secure are you with your insurance paying out in the event (God forbid!) of a catastrophe?

Asking sincerely. . .

Oh yes! You need a one ton diesel dually 4X4 if you are one of the folks with less than half a brain, wanting to follow too close at 70mph uphill on I70 mountain passes in 100+° heat day after day.
I've towed 12,000lbs with a 300hp gasser and electric trailer brakes over 20,000 miles with no problem at all...and my TV is rated at 9,000 lbs.
Here's a pic so you know to keep well clear of me if you see me on the road.
coUamNu1Shak2VgWSYFk8-k8LUPEl3zdxPsVbYE4hlMW4N4-BuUwYqU5x4UevQUTcrtGexOQcdjcOqbDeg9B5RmlNwX3qqJAspj8sB5jvRMEzRdCUZ4-Ce5sR3uFz7H5d5AbYiWq4zllqbkiVxcek5L_QkPijmZ_rH3dAdGU1MIUvwANhDWXWzHlohv0TTdeAGX5W7ZG6SZW7IZE__xt5uVL1qJKxBLy6emnCUtZHimeSE4a9qMcxGvFw68TRFhQEyfSZnN2qFuaP-b-dBq8ndX0OaMgEd-j_2ukvB5gFseOc_xbhyMvy0kFlLVXzS5HkOtSXBIxIja8Qr54fy9D6O4EDoMUbuje8_sdfcKToZRTxhjI71e4H7WVTo1SOT5xa660_GqtMc6YOb28AmZLa6wV74aLPiWirPUdY43ecomnEvM0WBkBj6pg66I_En0qYfvfQcPxFh5Ke87Q-2FqwIXC-hmZ6vetpnTE88YcKk7HRHgA5DAAgbr9q6dOKV9fupRa7jX3mTA81Vmv2xhnPJ0g2sZhLzc5D0AsdK1gFQaIU3DYkhvqn4hPNQkZpofvLlqamfGwCN5LKNkWf13eORFsf0GbGLAaLq45GxpjaWfw-gSjJ_DS3Eq1GhOJSLqz-lfq_8wNqwZtC7bOUbQNTxakYjc9lNDgzqqXRsw90YiDOyTpj5d-VKD_0qTvLyUTqpuXNGylsDtK-tnovSU=w1309-h738-no

Personally I would never tow like that and I certainly would not post online about doing it. I hope you don’t have any problems.

It can be very useful to look at what the limiting factor is of your tow vehicle. Try to see if the difference between the 2500 and 3500 is more horsepower, or bigger brakes, or a tranny cooler. That way you will know what system is the most important when you get close to the limit.

That boat is a beast with a 10 foot beam. You really need a 3500 dual wheel.

I'm dragging very close to the same load as that. It's a 30' twin 350's, flybridge, so about 12000 lbs. and a bit of windage. I had a 2500 single rear, long bed, crew cab w' 440 v8. Learned what does & doesn't work from that. Overall it was good and the 3/4 ton was acceptable, however... Gotta have 4wd if you think you're going to pull that baby up a ramp. Wet rear tires and only 1 axle got me stranded quite a few times. Also, you can't have too much torque and that straight 6 Cummins has some hung huevos, so it is a superior choice. Also, the long wheelbase of a crewcab & 8' bed, really is nice for handling with that much weight on the rear (not a 5th wheel).

Last year I finally broke down & got a used (new condition) Ram 3500, Cummins, dually, 4wd, long bed crew with tow package & all the bells & whistles. I've had Fords, Chevy's & the prev. was a Dodge, but this... I FLIPPIN LOVE THIS TRUCK!!

...CONTINUED... So, yes, this is a fantastick truck for towing a boat like that. I would highly recommend it. I've towed this from San Diego, CA up as far as the Sacramento Delta over a 4200' pass in 100 degree temps and it just laughed at the grades & cruised without a sweat. Also, the Jake Brake on this is excellent & held me at a steady 60 all the way down the backside. It's also a great rid when hot towing. We jokingly call it the limo because it is such a luxurious truck. Well thought out interior as well. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Plan "B"?

Depending on the sense of humor of your neighbors , about parking a different approach might work for you.

A tractor from an 18 wheeler with a sleeping cabin, in many states , with a couple of goodies added, can be registered as a motor home.

Insurance about $125 a YEAR from Progressive, and no CDL required .

With a hot knife the second axle can be removed if you live in the East where tolls are insane.

You will still have to observe the motor home length laws for towing , but you will only be stuck with a real HD truck ride when towing , not 99% of the use around town.

These trucks can be had for $5,000 or so .

Last edited:
There are no shortage of opinions on what is the best size truck for you. The best thing you can do is try before you buy if possible. Personally i would not tow that size load with anything less than a 3500 dually with a class 5 hitch. I prefer a gn or 5th wheel over a bumper pull. They are less affected by cross wind and ride better at speed. Gearing wise. go with 4.10's if you can. the gear splits work well at hwy speeds(60-75 range). the exhaust break is also a very nice thing to have as is the air helper spring.

IMAG0124.JPG

Big Cat
Dual vs single rear tires on the 3500 series is another interesting discussion topic. Once the OP decides if he really wants a 31 then we can advise him on GVW, truck color, axle ratios, tires, leather trim and bed liner. :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom