Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,590
Boat sunk in Glacier Bay

It looks like a recreational boat has sunk in Glacier Bay

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...s-glacier-bay/

Anybody know the owners?
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 08:55 AM   #2
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
It looks like a recreational boat has sunk in Glacier Bay

https://www.alaskasnewssource.com/20...s-glacier-bay/

Anybody know the owners?
Wifey B: Wow....that shivers me timbers. So lucky to survive. I'm sure survival time in those waters would be very short. I'm just glad they were rescued so promptly.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Wow....that shivers me timbers. So lucky to survive. I'm sure survival time in those waters would be very short. I'm just glad they were rescued so promptly.
They say a person has a 50/50 chance of making it 50 feet to shore in the cold water
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788 Dos Peces
Seward, Alaska - La Paz, Baja California Sur
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 Raised Pilothouse
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 83
Looks like it’s a 66 foot Grand Banks out of Seattle.
SeaDogAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #5
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 25,621
Having poopie suits handy and prepared for donning and regular training isn't a bad idea.

Serving as a rescuer and being a boater in Alaska (including far northern and southern realms) certainly convinced me of that.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:04 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Model: 24" El Pescador
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 692
Would have liked more details--that is a large boat to just capsize in relatively protected water.


Glad all got off safely.
__________________
Ken Diestler
Galveston, Tx
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 Raised Pilothouse
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 83
It says it capsized after taking on water. Must have been an awful lot of water coming in very fast. Maybe it’s an old wood GB and hit a rock?
SeaDogAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #8
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 786
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...l:CATS_N_DAWGS

Left Seattle May 26 https://www.myshiptracking.com/vesse...366324550-imo-
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
City: Juneau
Vessel Name: Sea Dog
Vessel Model: DeFever 49 Raised Pilothouse
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 83
Not a woodie, it says it was built in 1997.
SeaDogAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:36 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 849
Photos from Marine Traffic show it to be the yacht Christina.

Here’s a sales ad for it

https://yotlot.com/christina-a-custom-grand-banks/

Unusual custom raised sky lounge / pilot house.

Photos of it capsized are scary. Definitely glad everyone is safe.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:08 AM   #11
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Photos from Marine Traffic show it to be the yacht Christina.
Good catch, I looked for sales ads but came up empty.

Interesting the term “capsized” is being tossed about, I don’t see that anywhere.

Even the linked news piece says the 4 people were "rescued AFTER the boat capsized." But then that's journalism, isn't it?

One of the pictures of it heeled over, makes it look very much like she grounded, and I’m surprised a local hasn’t chimed in to point out a well-known (and charted?) rock.
Attached Thumbnails
C n D.jpg  
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member
 
Old Sea Dog's Avatar
 
City: Lake Wales/Greenbackville
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 42
In the sailboat world that would be considered capsised. Bottoms up would be turtled. Looking at the crane and the rib in the water looks like they launched with 2 in the rib and 2 left on the boat.
Old Sea Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #13
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sea Dog View Post
In the sailboat world that would be considered capsised. Bottoms up would be turtled. Looking at the crane and the rib in the water looks like they launched with 2 in the rib and 2 left on the boat.
Agreed on that being considered capsized. Although I wonder if it actually capsized or if it grounded and then fell over when the tide went out.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 08:58 AM   #14
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I wonder if it actually capsized or if it grounded and then fell over when the tide went out.
Yes, my thoughts, as well.
The picture I linked shows a very odd angle and possition of settlement, suggesting it is perched or hung up on something.

If AIS last position is accurate, it was in Sandy Cove, which is pretty unobstructed, with the exception of a couple charted rocks near shore to the east of Puffin Island.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #15
Member
 
City: RICHMOND
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 6
I'm curious too
It looks like a well built trawler!

???

When I was a younger:
We once forgot to put the drain plug back in the boat we took on a dive trip Florida keys!
Later in the day we wondered why we where sitting so low in the water...

We were fortunate to drive the 45 minutes -hour back to the boatyard without additional water getting in...
Blistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:01 AM   #16
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Walkabout Creek
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by soin2la View Post
Yes, my thoughts, as well.
The picture I linked shows a very odd angle and possition of settlement, suggesting it is perched or hung up on something.

If AIS last position is accurate, it was in Sandy Cove, which is pretty unobstructed, with the exception of a couple charted rocks near shore to the east of Puffin Island.

I'd love to know exactly where this happened. I don't trust the Marine Traffic reports. Some of the cruise ships are floating AIS relay stations so when one goes by you location gets recorded, but then lost. Similarly with the satellite received position reports. So what you end up seeing are snap shots of where the boat has been at some time, but not a complete track. This is from observing out own position reports over about 2 weeks in the park.


Sandy Cove is one of the popular and few anchorages, so it's very likely they were there at some point and got picked up. But the reports say the boat finally sank in 300' of water.


I agree that the photos look like it's on it's side on teh bottom, but that doesn't agree with it then sinking in 300' of water.


And reports say it was in Muir Inlet which is north of Sandy Cove.


So it's unclear, at least to me, how all this adds up and fits together.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:22 AM   #17
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,357
The CG knows exactly where the boat sank. Reports are forthcoming once the initial paperwork clears this Holiday weekend. The real story and conundrum is who pays for vessel recovery in a National Park done under very strict protocols yet to be developed.

Given the Glacier Bay Parkís tight restrictions the boat owner is in for a rough ride.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #18
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Walkabout Creek
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
The CG knows exactly where the boat sank. Reports are forthcoming once the initial paperwork clears this Holiday weekend. The real story and conundrum is who pays for vessel recovery in a National Park done under very strict protocols yet to be developed.

Given the Glacier Bay Parkís tight restrictions the boat owner is in for a rough ride.

The boat owner is responsible. I think that part is clear.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:34 AM   #19
Guru
 
twistedtree's Avatar
 
City: Walkabout Creek
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,915
I saw another report that cleared some things up a bit. It says the boat sank in 150' of water, 300' from shore. And there's a picture showing both the boat and the shoreline.


In my opinion, 300' from shore is uncomfortably close in Alaska if you are really underway as opposed to drifting to fish or watch wildlife. There are just too many abrupt changes in depth, increasingly poorly charted as you get closer to shore. Now we don't know if that's where the problem started, or if that's just where they ended up, nor do we know what caused them to take on water. As always, it will be an interesting report to read once released.
__________________
MVTanglewood.com
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #20
Guru
 
soin2la's Avatar
 
City: West Coast
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'd love to know exactly where this happened. I don't trust the Marine Traffic reports. Some of the cruise ships are floating AIS relay stations so when one goes by you location gets recorded, but then lost. Similarly with the satellite received position reports. So what you end up seeing are snap shots of where the boat has been at some time, but not a complete track. This is from observing out own position reports over about 2 weeks in the park.


Sandy Cove is one of the popular and few anchorages, so it's very likely they were there at some point and got picked up. But the reports say the boat finally sank in 300' of water.
Excellent observations from personal experience.
The 300 feet though, is believable. As you well know, there are rocks all over the west coast which rise up from great depths.----Ok, I've read your later post and so no need for my 300' comments.

I like Sunchasers comments.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012