Boat sunk in Glacier Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was working aboard ship in the Pacific Northwest, our survival tables gave 30 minutes in that water...
That's a big chunk of water with a wide swing in water temperatures. Where and when are you referring to?
Astoria ranges from 47F to 56F
Neah Bay, 45F to 65F.
Ketchikan, 41F to 55F.
Glacier Bay, 30F to 68F.

Heartbreaking. A custom built GB, that's uncommon. I wonder if she had a stability test. I've cruised that area (not far from there now) a number of times and would say it requires careful seamanship, charts can be iffy, but it's not especially perilous. At least for the vessels I'm aboard in AK, 300 feet, and sometimes much less, from shore, or glaciers, isn't that unusual, but again it requires good navigation skills, and attention to detail. Following a previous track helps too.

A failed exhaust hose that is below or bisected by the WL could do this. For a vessel of this size it would have to be a pretty large hole to not allow time for DC efforts. All speculation for the moment.

Anxiously awaiting the details...

Underway, east side of Baranof Island, AK, northbound

That's a big chunk of water with a wide swing in water temperatures. Where and when are you referring to?
Astoria ranges from 47F to 56F
Neah Bay, 45F to 65F.
Ketchikan, 41F to 55F.
Glacier Bay, 30F to 68F.

We were based out of Seattle... Typically making trips South for operations off the Mexican coast, so no, we were not in the vicinity of Alaska or similar...

We had survival time tables on the bridge for various conditions, I never wanted to fall overboard in that water...

glacier bay sinking

It is possible for a large hose to come off an underwater fitting during the night while folks are sleeping. By the time they awake to discover the problem, the batteries are flooded so no bilge pump and, with the water covering all the input ports, the leak cannot be found quickly. Soon the boat capsizes and sinks. It is important to check the function of the high water alarms.

Richard

Striking a pinnacle. Better to have a wood, fiberglass, or steel hull?

Attachments

• IMG_2277.jpg
    IMG_2277.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 40
Striking a pinnacle. Better to have a wood, fiberglass, or steel hull?
Depends to some extent upon the scantlings. Some steel recreational hulls are too thin and might be easily holed. Some fiberglass hulls are quite heavily laid up. The bottom of my glass boat is 1 1/4" hand laid glass. I'm thinking it could take a heck of a hit. If I remember correctly Dhays has a pic of when the PO of his boat parked it high and dry on a rock pile.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Trawler Forum mobile app

Along with a lot of glacial silt, I imagine.

You would think they could find a boat that big. We once had to search for a truck in one of the Arizona lakes. It took about 10 minutes once we got on scene, but there wasn’t any current flowing there.

Probably to their benefit? Can you imagine the cost or salvage at 300 feet in those conditions. Three hundred is not deep compared to what they can do, but who's paying and when does the cost exceed the insurance? Would the insurance company now own the boat since it is a total loss, or would this salvage fall on the insured owners?

Probably to their benefit? Can you imagine the cost or salvage at 300 feet in those conditions. Three hundred is not deep compared to what they can do, but who's paying and when does the cost exceed the insurance? Would the insurance company now own the boat since it is a total loss, or would this salvage fall on the insured owners?

Maybe Pau Hana can answer this question.

One of the most surprising things about this, is someone said the owner posted about this on social media? Best to stay quiet, and let the process play out because their will be an insurance company, surveyors, and others involved.

Also to their benefit might be that, with little tangible evidence, it becomes a "he said, she said" and with only 4 he saids, it might be easier to align what's said.

Strange. The boat disappeared? Must be a deep fjord?:confused:
All the mileage you have accumulated and are not aware of the depths on the west coast and SE-AK? That's strange, no?

It took them 30 years to find 4 railway tank cars in Malaspina (Georgia) Strait.

The boat is undoubtedly a total loss. But the owner (and therefore the insurance company) is responsible for the wreck and its consequences. You can't just crap in a national park and then walk away.

Agree, someone is going to have to remove it, if they can find it. Just who foots the bill is the question. I think it depends on how the insurance policy is written.

The thing I find weird/suspicious is that the boat reportedly only had from 200 to 250 gallons of fuel on board . . .

The thing I find weird/suspicious is that the boat reportedly only had from 200 to 250 gallons of fuel on board . . .

That seems like strange uncalled for speculation, I'm not sure what you are suggesting by it.

Doesn't seem odd at all to only have a few hundred gallons at that point in a trip for lots of reasons, including waiting for fuel prices to drop a bit and/or to fill up before departing south to avoid more expensive Canadian fuel.

Agree, someone is going to have to remove it, if they can find it. Just who foots the bill is the question. I think it depends on how the insurance policy is written.

The owner is ultimately responsible, and he will turn to his insurance which hopefully includes coverage. If the costs exceed the policy, the owner will be on the hook for the rest and I would expect the park service to go after his assets.

It is pretty standard for boat insurance policies to have environmental damage protection, in fact that is one of the main reasons for paying the premium. The liability for that can be far more than the boat's value in a worst case scenario.

Check out this boat coming to the rescue, twin outboard landing craft. Looks like the perfect SUV for excursions. But when we were in the area last year the tides where huge and one of our sister boats dingy got stranded. Dingys are heavy when that happens. That drop down door would be handy provided you don't get stranded unless it's part of the plan.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220714-090712_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220714-090712_Chrome.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 43
Then I saw this:

https://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/news/superyacht-sinks-turkish-coast

If that's the right picture it's hard to belive they saved this from sinking. I guess modern boats like this do have true watertight compartments that work.

One would hope a vessel of that size would have water tight compartments. I just happened see a YouTube video on this incident last night. The boat hit a reef, and from the overhead video, it appears that the reef kept the boat from sinking more than it did. It was a Ferretti 830, and on the same day, another boat of the same class sunk at Chub Cay.

Later,
Dan

All the mileage you have accumulated and are not aware of the depths on the west coast and SE-AK? That's strange, no?

It took them 30 years to find 4 railway tank cars in Malaspina (Georgia) Strait.

Well believe or not I have never been to Glacier Bay. Have no desire to go. I believe Prince William Sound (PWS) has better glaciers.

Back
Top Bottom