Old 08-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #1
FWT

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Boat Sinks in White Marlin Open

Big fishing competition. All rescued. No word on cause. Looks like it went down fast.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:01 PM   #2
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
The wake of a custom carolina boat running hard through the open ocean is a sight to behold. Island boatworks 65' is a impressive machine. Kudos to the captain and crew.

I charter fished out of OC Md for two years and learned alot in that short period. The cost of operations was a bit staggering to me at the time, from fuel to repairs to tackle, dockage etc. One story that really sunk in to me was a sinking of a boat in the charter fleet, the captain of fellow charter boat immediately snipped every line of the trolling spread and ran full throttle to his friends aid, I don't think the captain and crew got their feet wet. Makes you stop and consider priorities. Honestly, as a poor mate at the time, the though of tossing hundreds of dollars in tackle away in seconds is jarring, but then you stop and put it into perspective and it is as clear as day. It is a bit embarrassing but I just took life for granted at that point.
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I really think that cutting the lines is what should/would be expected. When it comes to saving a life or a bit of tackle there isn’t much to think about.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #4
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I really think that cutting the lines is what should/would be expected. When it comes to saving a life or a bit of tackle there isnít much to think about.
You're missing the point. Nobody said they were weighing the decision of helping the boat in distress or not. What he said was the captain ordered the lines cut , which amounted to hundreds of dollars of tackle lost; the terminal tackle & baits & all of the reels probably needed respooling since a large portion of the line was in the water, and possibly the days wages if the boat was chartered. Most folks (quite likely myself included) first instinct would've been to reel the lines in, asap. With a good crew and everyone helping, it might've taken a minute to clear the lines & get underway. This captain opted to cut everything ,which was his livelihood, to gain seconds. It was a quick decision that the captain made.
I completely get where the OP is coming from.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One thing about search and rescue in my experience....while seconds can count in the survivors eyes...they are often lost in the process on responders.

While the cutting or retrieval of lines can be debated (variables)...it is probably minutiae to the responders.

There are multiple ways of shaving seconds, but usually the best course of action is to not get all worked up racing to the rescue....keeping a calm, clear head and purposeful actions usually makes up more in minutes than seconds in responding.

Once on scene, and better evaluation of the actual emergency, is where seconds start to count.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:53 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I really think that cutting the lines is what should/would be expected. When it comes to saving a life or a bit of tackle there isn’t much to think about.
I fully agree and was being honest about my immaturity/lack of perspective at the time of hearing the story. This had happened years before I was working on that dock but it had involved two of charter boats running out of the same dock (our immediate neighbor and the boat just past him). The moment I heard the story stands out in my mind and it wasn't really the seconds of cutting the lines that mattered, it was the decisiveness of the captain (Bill Kneessi), responding with a clear head and purpose that really resonated with me and improved my perspective.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #7
Guru

I wonder if a prize winning fish was hooked up?

Not wondering in the story's reference....but in general how many would do the same?

That's what separates men from mice.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I wonder if a prize winning fish was hooked up?

Not wondering in the story's reference....but in general how many would do the same?

That's what separates men from mice.
I just saw an update and another video, while the guys were exiting the raft and coming over the transom, a couple of guys were collecting a cooler on the port quarter, reportedly the beer cooler. Sounds like the took it in stride, as much as possible, they lost a blue marlin and lost their boat but saved the beer.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
Guru

I meant, would a captain of a charter or paid tournament captain hooked up cut a possible money fish off?

A big decision.... but as I said.... of "mice and men."
Old 08-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
I meant, would a captain of a charter or paid tournament captain hooked up cut a possible money fish off?

A big decision.... but as I said.... of "mice and men."
Hard to say, and my update really wasn't addressing your question, not sure why I hit quote versus reply.

That said, I would like to think I would attached the largest and brightest fender to the rod and toss it over the side.

The other big question that is not easy to answer, is whether you are even in a good position to help, are you the closest or one of the closest and will you be of help in finding them or get halfway there and realize there are already dozens of boats in the vicinity. This is a good time for AIS transceivers, then again how many boats have them shut off to hide there location (tournament fishing).

A couple more thoughts, how many of us have a writing implement handy to jot down coordinates. I know I have one at my lower station but I spend most of my time running from the upper station.

One thing is for sure, that beautiful sportfish can move fast.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #11

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
I wonder if the boat had a fish on at the time of sinking. With those sea conditions backing down on a large fish to gain line on them would put the cockpit area under a lot water with waves breaking over the transom. Most sport fisherman have large scuppers to drain water from that area. Just a thought. Glad all crew survived!
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Salty Seagull
Vessel Model: SSP Type 211
Quote:

There are multiple ways of shaving seconds, but usually the best course of action is to not get all worked up racing to the rescue....keeping a calm, clear head and purposeful actions usually makes up more in minutes than seconds in responding.

Once on scene, and better evaluation of the actual emergency, is where seconds start to count.
Fast is slow and slow is fast...
TheAtomicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Northern California
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
Terrible event. Incredible video footage
Old 08-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #14
FWT

Update:

https://www.oceancitytoday.com/news/...VyPYtSVvFlQ_Y4

They were backing down on a fish in 4-6 ft seas.

They took water over the transom.

One engine died.

Air bubbles coming from the exhaust of the other.

Some of you guys may have other thoughts but it looks to me like the water pressure into the exhaust systems did the deed. Perhaps water made its way back to the diesel cylinders on the dead engine. Perhaps back pressure of the water against exhaust outflow caused an exhaust hose or clamps to fail on the other.
Old 08-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #15
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Did the boat ultimately go down?
Old 08-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #16
Guru

The article said ....yes....in 2000 feet of water.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #17
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Everyone on the raft had PFDs on. Good for them.
Per cutting the lines, in my mind, there would be not question on the priorities, cut the lines.
No tuna door????
Old 08-10-2021, 12:07 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Very competitive tournaments. I don't know how much money involved in this one but I've known one winner of $500,000 and that's without all the side bets made. I suspect some prizes go up to $1 million. Participants pay dearly to compete as well though. Definitely not a profitable business.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:24 AM   #19
FWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Very competitive tournaments. I don't know how much money involved in this one but I've known one winner of $500,000 and that's without all the side bets made. I suspect some prizes go up to $1 million. Participants pay dearly to compete as well though. Definitely not a profitable business.
https://whitemarlinopen.com/

$30k per BOAT (as many fishermen aboard as you care to take) gets you a shot at this year's top prize of $3.2 million.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
https://whitemarlinopen.com/

$30k per BOAT (as many fishermen aboard as you care to take) gets you a shot at this year's top prize of $3.2 million.
Wow.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote