Boat shopping in Florida these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sevo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
It’s About Time
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 450 Classico
My wife and I continue our search for a 40-something foot motor yacht. As always, many of the good prospects are in Florida. Ever since the Covid outbreak started, traveling anywhere has been problematic but now, especially, we’re really conflicted about whether we’re totally crazy to think about going to Florida to look at boats. Have any of you done this recently? Is there a way to do it safely? We’d drive, not fly. Any other advice?
David

Bear in mind that Florida boats will have taken a greater beating from the sun than boats kept up north.

Personally traveling to Florida right now would be totally off my list of acceptable risks. Not just to avoid getting sick, but to also avoid bringing it back home, and/or giving it to everyone else along the way getting back home. Others may of course have differing opinions. Me, I'd wait it out a bit.

I live in Florida in a marina with a number of boats for sale and I do part time work for several brokers. Boats are selling at an impressive pace. People are driving in and flying in for the sales. Buyers, sellers, brokers, surveyors, and captains (me) are maintaining social distancing and wearing masks and making it work. Try reaching out to Dave Werning, broker. captaindave@wcyachtsales.com. (877) 901-BOAT (419) 250-8463

Right now it seems like Florida is getting more than a fair share of cases and some counties are experiencing externally high numbers and others are not. I'm sure there is a web site that will give you a better look at the number of cases in the areas that you would be heading to. We live in one of the countys that is experiencing the higher cases and we don't risk going to many places except work and home. If you are in the higher risk factors due to age or under lying health issues you may want to error on the side of caution, we all love boating but is it worth the risk?.

If I were in your situation, I would certainly do it. Driving in makes good sense. I would avoid the cities for accommodations, or at least stay out on the periphery. Would make my viewing appointments first thing in the morning to reduce the number of people around you. Plan to have a cooler with drinks, snacks, and lunch to avoid unnecessary stops in Covid risky places.

There are clearly some hot spots that I would only pass through to get to a marina or brokerage, but there are lots of less densely populated areas where you should be able to find reasonable accommodations and food to go or whatever level of dining you feel comfortable with.

Ted

Personally, I would not buy a Florida boat. Like post #3 says, boats are selling at an impressive pace, Sellers market? Like post #2 says, Boats take a beating by the sun down there. Like you insinuate, Covid risks. And finally, its a long run to your home and it is getting late in the season.

Shop closer to home.

pete

I bought my boat in Florida 2 years ago. I've spent an impressive amount of time on it since. No regrets.

COVID-19 cases are high here. People don't seem to care and go about business as usual. I doubt the two are unrelated.

But, I've enjoyed the opportunity to manage risk, e.g. going to restaurants occasionally when quiet off hours, etc.

I had a boat in SoCal before this one. I found boats in Florida, at least Gulf coast, to be in be, in some ways, in better condition. There are termites, but a lot less of them, so a lot less boats were ravaged by years of them. HVAC systems and gensets tend to be more in use and serviced. Less rot because, even with more rain, it lasts for less time and dries out daily vs Cali where it was rare, but could last days and days and get in deep and not dry out quickly. Also, things never freeze or suffer from seasonal disuse.

On the flip side, bottoms take a beating in the hot water. Lots of scraping. In the shallow waters, there is the occasional brush with the bottom. Brightwood would take a beating, but no one even tries varnish vs something like Atlwood or awlbright or paint. Biminis take a beating from the storms, as do such things as the wood to which cleats are mounted, and things that bump pilings like rub and cap rails.

Like anywhere, how the owner(s) cared for the vessel over the years means more than anything else. I think, at the least.

I saw a lot of good boats all over Florida, bought one here, and love it.

It's definitely a decision that only you and your wife can make.

My wife and I were going to start looking for our boat this Summer. Unless, we find a killer deal in the Maryland/Virginia area, we are sitting out the process until next Spring.

I think there are ways that you may be able to minimize your risk. Driving, as you propose, is certainly one of them. At this point in time, I would only travel by air if I absolutely had no alternative.

If the boats you are interested in are in a central area, then perhaps staying in an Airbnb might be an option instead of a hotel. An Airbnb would have much less traffic through it and you wouldn't have to share any common areas, such as lobbies, with other people.

This is what we did last week when we went on a vacation with our UTV's in McDowell County in WV. We stayed in a very rural area in a rental home and stocked up on groceries at the local supermaket.

Jim

Boats in demonstrated very good condition I go anywhere to evaluate. First step narrow requirements, then narrow makes and models. I would pass on long term on hard boats, those with no maintenance history and " great buys". Have surveyor attend first on abbreviated basis to confirm worth a look before you travel. Surveyors ,(like me) charge 1/2 or less fee to take brief look. Good luck. For surveyors go to NAMS or SAMS online for trained diligent people.

You can tell a lot from good HD pictures. I tell people to send me as many as you can, never too many.

Well maintained boats are all over Florida same as elsewhere. Since there are more boats there are more of them.

They get more sun, but don't have crazed gelcoat from freezing, etc., etc.

I bought ours there, fueled it up, and ran it all the way to Texas without one single problem.

Go shopping. You can walk the docks and look at boats without exposing yourself. Definitely drive so you can move around easily.

Not to late in the season if you decide to go and find the right boat. We bought our Mainship the second week of November in Saint Petersburg and ran her home to N.Y. in 2 weeks. We spent thanksgiving in a yacht club on the way back. Never had an issue getting dockage in any marina for the night either. If you go just be smart about it.

"Don't buy a Florida boat" is a pretty broad brush to be swinging. I admit that I eliminated boats in Florida from my search, but primarily just based on the distance, difficulty, and expense of getting them home. It was pure coincidence that I stumbled on the one I bought.

But this "Florida boat" spent it's first 10 years in Ontario. It spent the next two doing the loop, and then back to Florida, and then finally the last 7 in FL. But those seven years were winters only - the boat was pulled in November and placed in indoor storage in March. Never saw a hurricane, etc. Yes it got some sun, but nothing like what is typically encountered.

Point is, each boat stands on its own merits. The odds are stacked against you there, but there's always the outliers.
BD

Getting a good clean over ?

Perhaps there is room for yet another industry coming out of the C19 problems.

Boat sanitizing inside & out. Doing a proper cleaning w/more than a few wet ones & windex.

I've been in Florida the last 3-4 weeks off and on looking myself and although you need to take reasonable precautions I think it can be done safely. We did it in the car and for me it felt much better than the last plane trip I was on.

I would avoid flying and eating in restaurants (other than non-crowded, outdoor dining, but FL is pretty hot this time of year.) Otherwise no reason not to go if you find a few likely boats that justify the trip. We all have to adapt to the new routines of masks, social distancing, hand washing. Not rocket science, just training. We carry masks & 20 oz spray bottles of rubbing alcohol in each vehicle and have learned a simple routine of spritzing keys, hands, credit card and phone before we touch anything else in the car. Takes 30 secs. C-19 transmission via any new boat you may buy is easy to prevent - basically leave the boat for 72rs and you're done
Negotiating the marinas and the brokerage staff is easy. It's the hotels, restaurants that I would worry about. Safe boat hunting!

https://themariner.com/ is a good place to look , on line and free.

Boats in FL are frequently 25% to 35% less than boats in New England as FL is Gods waiting room and many boats are sold rapidly.

The Mariner is a great place to find a fixer up boat that brokers wont touch as they spend too much time with no buck Lookey Lous .

Perhaps rent a motor home for a couple of weeks, to look ?

Sevo I'm also boat shopping in Florida right now. I live here and it's challenging! Covid is absolutely raging here and half the State either don't take it seriously or thinks it's a big hoax, including our governor.

So be careful. One thing I notice is that since most boat brokers are older, they have all (except one) worn masks when they see my wife and I coming up wearing ours. Nice and respectful.

If you're traveling from out of State my advice would be to informally negotiate the price that you're comfortable with ahead of time, arrange a large number to see, and then take one trip down here. I like a lot of the suggestions made by the others, especially about staying in hotels outside big cities. However, if too far outside then all you'll find are budget motels which likely don't follow stringent cleaning and disinfecting routines.

It's really frustrating to find the right boat, as it always is, but even more so now.

BTW, if the boat you're inquiring about is not continuously running either a dehumidifier or its aircon, then I'd skip it because its closets, bilges and even the bilge water are likely to be filled with mold and mildew. I only found one vessel that wasn't, but the owner showed me the three big bags of desiccant that he had to change out every week and a half, religiously.

Good luck.

So help me out here. Florida boats take a beating from the sun?

In what way that good care can easily avoid?

Thanks to all! As usual, lots of good ideas. We haven’t decided yet, but are contemplating using my vacation week next week to head down there. 3 potential boats to look at. My sister lives in central FL; haven’t asked her yet but expect we can stay with her. We’d be within 2-2 1/2 hour drive of all the boats. I work in healthcare so am familiar with appropriate precautions.
Again, thanks for the input.
David

Second, or third the idea of a motor home! We have one, and if our house ever sells, that's what we will do for looking. Make appointments to view in advance, drive down and check 'em out.

If you meet a broker or seller, tell them you expect them to wear a mask ahead of time,

Only about half the people wear them.

I don't know what you are looking for as far as price, age, and condition, but in the marina we just left, at Port Saint Lucie, there was an older 40ft Defever trawler at a fairly low price.
I don't recall what, but I remember "cheap".
Owner can't handle the boat anymore, and it looked clean. Maybe a single engine and thruster.
His number is 773.333.4445.
Good luck, JohnS

Looking for a Boat

Sevo and JLD, not sure your budget or exact requirements but there is a very clean boat in Hampton at Bluewater Marina that can be seen in a day. I might be a bit biased as it is my boat but I can promise that you won't find a cleaner better maintained boat for sale on the Chesapeake, unless it is brand new. You can find info on it in the Boats for Sale section of this forum under " Ocean Alexander for Sale". No, not a trawler but she is quite efficient at 10-12 its and capable of 18-22 if you get in a hurry.
We've recently dropped the price as I need to let her go for health reasons.

In box me

Not sure where you are, but we have a freshwater (until last summer) 2003 Carver twin diesel that we are considering selling in Chesapeake Bay. inbox me for further details.

Thanks

We are investigating for boat to do the Great Loop and have put off all boat viewing anywhere. Things are currently much better in NY and NJ then in FL but we are not interested right now. I guess my question is other than out to sea or anchoring out where do you really want to take a boat or any vehicle right now. Being confined on a boat in any marina strikes be as about as much fun as being confined in an apartment in NYC.

What am I missing?

While looking at boats on Yachtworld, one of the brokers in PNW posted the following:

"Before arriving at your appointment, here's a few tips to ensure a safe and fantastic experience:

[*]Prior to an appointment, arrange to meet the broker at the marina or slip directly without stopping at the marina or brokerage office.

[*]Stay at least six feet from anyone who is nearby.

[*]The total number of people aboard at any one time will be dictated by the size of the vessel.

[*]Bring your own face masks, wipes, gloves, eye protection, and hand sanitizer.

[*]Bring a phone to record your appointment or sea trial for later review.

[*]Understand that the use of public restrooms may not be an option, so plan ahead!

[*]Have a good time and go boating!"

I thought this was a pretty good start for boating in these uncertain times.

Jim

Looking in Fla for Trawlers

Have you seen our 43 Marine Island Trader Labelle, advertised and located in Newcastle,NH?
Rick

I lived aboard in Ft Myers until last month, and it was definitely living in a bubble. No sickness in the marina, although most of oar owners and boats had left for cooler temps if they could. We took reasonable precautions with masks, sanitizer, distancing and hand washing, but were comfortable eating out and shopping for essentials. IMO it is not dangerous if reasonable precautions are taken.

Back
Top Bottom