Boat shopping in Florida these days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’m a pilot and end up in Florida regularly. Don’t worry too much, just take precautions, wear a mask and use hand sanitizer. As far as the boats, when we were looking for our boat, we looked at boats in Florida, most of them were in good shape. Most of them had come from somewhere else soI would not worry about it being a Florida boat.
Good luck on your search.

Florida Boats

Living in Florida I've only bought Florida boats. You just have to look at their condition like anywhere else. There are too many boats down here to discount them all. I would come by car, don't eat inside restaurants and generally be careful. Probably what you are doing now at home anyway.

We have our 2006 Meridian 408 just coming on the market in Jacksonville if you are looking for something like that. We just finished the loop and boat had a 1500 hour engine service when we got back. Ready to go again. PM me an I'll give you the details.

We just finished the loop and boat had a 1500 hour engine service when we got back. Ready to go again.

Hey Jmac-staug how was it doing the loop with all this going on?

There is a saying in van life that you don't live in the van / RV you live out of it. That is what I had in mind for our Great Loop experience. I hoped to spend a lot of time exploring all the places along the loop and that does not sound practical until the virus is somehow under control.

What was your experience?

We got back to our home port March 21, it was getting a little weird at the end. Otherwise it was great. This year is a washout to do the loop or much cruising. A big part is exploring all the cities and towns you will visit. The loop of us ended up being a brew pub-foodie tour. A fantastic experience. You will spend more time on the boat than off so pick something livable. We got the boat a year before leaving and that worked out perfect. You'll get to know the boat and what it needs. We did a couple shakedown cruises ahead of time.

jmac-staug
We had planed to buy a boat a this year and start the loop the beginning of next summer.
Everything is up in the air now. I don't want to wait too long to start this adventure but until we have a vaccine or herd immunity the loop sounds like more like something to survive then something to enjoy.

Trying to figure out when to even get back to searching for a boat if the boat is really just to do the loop?

Attachments

• Boat in slip.jpg
    Boat in slip.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 26
So help me out here. Florida boats take a beating from the sun?

In what way that good care can easily avoid?

Many boater owners are seasonal. Their boats get put into an on land boat barn. Or they have a covered dock. It's a small percentage that do this but those are the ones that escape aged gelcoat. Even aged gelcoat can be painted with with awlgrip or similar epoxy paint for a nice finish. Mold is an issue that ac or dehumidifier can prevent easily. So even a boat that's in the water year round can be in good shape. Also a lot of wealthy folks who can buy new boats every few years almost like car owners might do. They own million dollar condos that are used 12 weeks a year.

Boats in Florida get used! You all know the fastest killer of boats.... Sitting around unused! Yes there's alot of sun! Yes, there's dock rash from hurricanes! But a well maintained, regularly used boat is pretty common all over Florida!

That said, avoid used boats that have been lived on! Many folks here choose to live aboard for financial reasons and their boats just never leave the dock and get less maintenance!

We are in Virginia now looking at a couple of boats. We left Michigan yesterday at 4 Pm and drove straight through for 13.5 hours. Stopped only at rest areas and took a bag of cleaning materials in if we were going to sit down. I only stood so it was easy for me. Traveling all night was not too bad because no one was out then. Only 1 rest area had another person in it when we stopped. Wore masks and used hand sanitizer religiously. Used paper towels to grab gas pumps. My mom lives with us and she is 100 as of last May, we are 67 so we have to be careful. Got to Virginia about 930 AM. Hotel let us check in so we cleaned up and went to look at 2 boats. Brought our own sheets and pillows and Sandy cleaned the room before we did anything. Had already told the 2 brokers we wanted them to wear masks and distance themselves. One did, the other never got off the phone and get onto the boat. Won’t be buying that one for a couple of reasons. We love the bigger boat but for winter storage I will have to store it 4 hours drive each way from home instead of the 1 mile with our current boat. That is a big disincentive. Will have to think on that. So you can look at boats now, just be very careful and plan it carefully. We took a lot of food and snacks so we will not have to do any shopping. Good luck and be careful out there.

You can keep up with cases by county here in Florida at https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86. I would definitely discuss your safety requirements with anyone before visiting the boat, as for hotels, you can request a room that has not had a guest in it for 3 or more days. Now whether they honor that or not?? Bring masks and plenty of hand sanitizer. And while you may not have a problem going back to Virginia, others may have to quarantine on return to their home state, and those from certain states have to quarantine for 14 days when coming into Florida; effectively ruling them out from looking at boats. So check the Florida and your states websites before coming and watch the news as these rules change. My son came down from NY in March and quarantined in our house for 14 days. He got back to NY 2 days before they began mandatory quarantines for those coming from FL. Its fairly clear there are more issues associated with aerosols and droplet transmissions and while contact is still an issue not as much, but definitely wash hands, use paper towels and other things mentioned above. Just FYI I am assisting Universities and other companies as they seek to reopen in a safer way.

That sorta depends on the manner of mooring....

Exactly. Under roof and out of the water.

Boat lift... or trailer.

Additionally, when our Florida boat is moored and not in use, add a big honkin' 2500 sq. ft. Danby dehumidifier, with all drawers and lockers open, and stainless steel pads in all thru-hulls (keeps all manner of bugs out), and "Florida damage" is negated.

Cheers and stay safe,
Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• Mariso Under Cover.jpg
    Mariso Under Cover.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Big ass Danby Dehumidifier.jpg
    Big ass Danby Dehumidifier.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 32
  • SS inserted in thru-hulls.jpg
    SS inserted in thru-hulls.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 30
You will spend more time on the boat than off so pick something livable.

There seem to be some varying ideas on what is livable. We are trying to figure out what livable means to us. I am thinking that the smaller the boat the more you will go ashore and explore? When the boat feels too small it is time to move along to somewhere new? Also a smaller boat leaves more money for going ashore?

The wife and I use a tiny portion of our standard 60's split foyer development house. We use 1/2 the deck, 2/3 the kitchen, one bedroom and one bathroom. That seems to be describing a not very large boat. There are two things pushing toward a larger boat. We would like a full length bed that we can access from both sides and a decent row able dingy. Still trying to find a boat with what we want and not much else.

Where are the boats built for one comfortable couple instead of 6 or 8 uncomfortable people?

Right sized trawler

Assuming (problem one) that you are comfortable with trawler speed most of the time, look at the more traditional styled boats, and older ones - note - in good condition - in the 36 to 45 ft range.
We found what you are describing in our 1986 Cheoy Lee 40 LRC, 2 cabins, 2 heads, one wet shower (forward) and one with a large seperate shower aft. Walk around queen in the aft cabin, though we had to shorten the memory foam mattress so the door would close. :)
Our needs included wider walk around side decks and a good view from the flybridge.
We have twin Lehman 135 motors. We wanted twins or a single with a good bow thruster.
Look at the plans of the boats that intetest you, and get an idea of the room and passage sizes. We looked at some boats that economized on the shower size so much it felt like stepping into a coffin.
Look at how you will live with the boat. How do you get on it, from a floating dock? From a low or high fixed dock?
Is there a way to bring in loads of provisions, parts, tools, etc without tracking up the place?
How easily can you (or someone else, if need or budget allows) get to the engine(s), generator, batteries, bilge pumps, etc for maintenence or repairs?
Is the room available to store supplies equal to the fuel and water tankage, or does one limit your travels? We have a lot of dry and long storage / seasonal stuff in the forward cabin, as well as in the other storage areas.
Will you anchor out? If so, what dinghy, and where is it stored? Boarding ladder or stairs, or not needed?
What kind of kitchen will the Admiral want? The first thing I did on our boat was replace the tiny sink with a large, deep, stainless one, with a new spray faucet and a triple water filter for drinking and coffee water.
I took the advice to make my Admiral happy to live on our boat, and it has served us well.
Look at a lot of boats online, and criticize the pics as to things you like, and don't like.
Make lists, save bookmarks to boats you might like, check the saved threads here and the make specific forums for more info.
Charter a couple of the boats you might like to see if they fit.
Check the cost of dockage and insurance before you get too far into the buying process. Newer boats may be financable, older ones will be cheaper for a given quality because they must be bought cash.
Find a surveyor, an insurance agent, and find a boat broker who you can take to lunch to get more background information before you buy.
Learn about your ideal cruising grounds, and what constraints that might put on your choice of boat.
Yachtworld has lots of $$$ boats. Boats.com, boattrader.com, iboats.com, Craigslist, etc often have cheaper boats, but they may be cheap for a reason. A surveyor can help here.
Good luck with your search. JohnS

Funny I should notice this. We have just listed our 2003 453 Silverton with Eric Horst (410-212-5264). Wonderful boat. 2-450 Cummins less than 1000 hrs. Dinghy, runs and looks great. Plus, it's located just up the bay from you in Kent Island, Md. We have reached the point of getting out of big boating.
Chivy Wieland

FWIW - recall being advised once to " buy your cars in Florida, buy your boats in Michigan". I bought the current boat in Tennessee. Still freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom