Boat Shopping, Bayliner 4788?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last year I sought a 4788 as a live aboard. I ran out of opportunities that also had the options I was looking for. I ended up shifting my focus to the Meridian 490 which was the upgraded Rebranded version of the 4788. It’s the same boat with high gloss cherry wood finish and the attention to detail that many fault the Bayliner for lacking, and yes, the ER floor modification was a factory standard.

I’ve owned Bayliner 28 Contessa, 3218 MY, and 3888 MY so I know them well and understand their shortcomings. Yes the Meridian cost me a third more over the 4788, but I never regret the upgrade.

Currently I’m undergoing modifications to make the boat more livable as I get ready to take it south for the winter. I’ll be happy to take questions.

Last year I sought a 4788 as a live aboard. I ran out of opportunities that also had the options I was looking for. I ended up shifting my focus to the Meridian 490 which was the upgraded Rebranded version of the 4788. It’s the same boat with high gloss cherry wood finish and the attention to detail that many fault the Bayliner for lacking, and yes, the ER floor modification was a factory standard.

I’ve owned Bayliner 28 Contessa, 3218 MY, and 3888 MY so I know them well and understand their shortcomings. Yes the Meridian cost me a third more over the 4788, but I never regret the upgrade.

Currently I’m undergoing modifications to make the boat more livable as I get ready to take it south for the winter. I’ll be happy to take questions.

The late model 490’s with the gloss cherry are SWEET!!!

Also if you think about it the later the model the more improvements to the design that are made. Your 2007 represents what two decades of pilothouse design evolution. Something to be said for that for sure!

Yup. 4588s had balsa coring and some of them suffered as a result. As for fixed furniture, the 4788s have a blend of L-shaped settee and two barrel chairs. I’m good for meals and card games on the settee but for relaxing with an adult beverage and a book I’m in a barrel chair. Best of both.

You don’t mention the geographical area that might be of interest. Went thru the same process as you with same priorities. Was disappointed at the time with what was available. Thankfully was steered to a McKinna Pilothouse. Mine just went up for sale

Go to Yachtworld or any of the internet’s t boat for sale sites and search for McKinna 48’ .Pilothouse. Boat is currently in JAX

The geographical area I will boat in includes ICW of Florida and the Great Loop.

Yes, the McKinna is a NICE vessel!

Certainly a boat to consider.
Also, you might consider a Grand Banks 42. You can get one for considerably less than 200k and it has all the features you are talking about. It's obviously smaller than the Bayliner but they are very well layed out and "feel" bigger than they are.

While the Grand Banks is a great boat, the 42 is not for me. Don't want an aft cabin in place of a cockpit with sun shade overhead, and the draft is pushing my limit. Also, one on the same price range of the 4788 would be much older, and the 4788 is old enough. I'd really like to stay at 2005 and later, but need a real strong reason to go early that 2000, like it's REALLY well maintained and improved.

7 years ago when I was in market for a different boat between 40-45ft. I have looked at two 4588s where I loved the layout and the look of the boat however, both boats had a lot of soft spots in the bridge aft and forward around the anchor area.

That is possible with the 4588 - but in 1994 that changed with the 4788.

While the Grand Banks is a great boat, the 42 is not for me. Don't want an aft cabin in place of a cockpit with sun shade overhead, and the draft is pushing my limit. Also, one on the same price range of the 4788 would be much older, and the 4788 is old enough. I'd really like to stay at 2005 and later, but need a real strong reason to go early that 2000, like it's REALLY well maintained and improved.

2005 would be the first year with factory extra engine hatches.
They are fairly easily added to earlier models if desired.

2005 would be the first year with factory extra engine hatches.
They are fairly easily added to earlier models if desired.

Yep... and that would be the 49 Meridian, which also comes with a bow thruster which is definitely on my list of "must haves".

Not don't give me any shxx about being a wimp with thrusters, I'll take all the help I can get. I have nothing to prove and don't need to hit the neighbors boat.

In fact, I just might install stern thrusters, too...... and cockpit controls....and young ladies to handle the lines....whatever it takes.....

With twins, a bow thruster would be handy when getting in or out of a narrow slip. You can move the stern wherever you want with the engines, but moving the bow requires moving the whole boat around a bit in the process (and can't be done as quickly). So in a tight slip with a crosswind, a thruster is a big help. Stern thruster with twins depends on the boat. Something with a lot of keel and not a lot of prop walk might benefit from one, but if the boat prop walks enough and has enough rudder authority, a stern thruster can easily become just another control to juggle.

Personally, I prefer (with any boat) docking with as few controls as possible and only add or use more if/when necessary. It's not to prove I can or anything, it's just because it's less hand movement and less complication in my head, so easier to keep track of what I'm doing and not make mistakes.

Yep... and that would be the 49 Meridian, which also comes with a bow thruster which is definitely on my list of "must haves".

Not don't give me any shxx about being a wimp with thrusters, I'll take all the help I can get. I have nothing to prove and don't need to hit the neighbors boat.

In fact, I just might install stern thrusters, too...... and cockpit controls....and young ladies to handle the lines....whatever it takes.....

"Not don't give me any shxx about being a wimp with thrusters"
Not me - I have no problem with whatever anyone wants to do, just providing data.

"Yep... and that would be the 49 Meridian, which also comes with a bow thruster which is definitely on my list of "must haves"."

The Bayliner 4788 was produced from 1994 untill 2002 when it was 'rebadged' the Meridian 490. The Meridian 490 did not come stock with the thrusters but it was an add any owner could make. Bayliner/Meridian did not want to keep buidling the 4788/490 as they wanted folks to buy the newly designed Meridian 540. But in 2002 and onward they did keep getting orders despite not having the 4788/490 in any advertisements or brochures or shows. They actually did come out with a separate mkt 'sheet' on the 490 in late 2003. So they kept making the boats and finally added the 490 to their marketing 'lineup' in 2005 - despite original plans.

All,

Getting the itch for a bigger boat..... and thinking of the Bayliner 4788 for the following reasons:

Has shallow draft, which I need with my current dock.

Has a lot of room and creature comforts.
Can be single handed with helm doors and both sides of the pilot house and reasonable access to lines.

Has a quality Cummins engine which I like.

Has a reasonable purchase price, being a production boat. And has good bones, and simple mods that can make it better. Want to keep the budget in the $200K range, more or less.

Has stairs to the flybridge.

Has a crane and easy to store a dinghy.

The negatives are minor (for me). Worst is access to the engines, which folks have modified with new hatches in the salon. Doesn't have the fit and finish of the Nordhvan or Fleming, but doesn't have the price either.

Looks nice.

Are there other boats that have these features worth considering? Thoughts?

Uses will be intercoastal cruising, great loop again. Not into passagemaking.

SEEVEE
Have had a 4788 for 6 years now .For value for money its hard to beat
My only gripe is beam seas and on that front it is a disappointment. IWe live in Vancouver so on a trip to Vancouver Island I can expect either a south east or a northwest .Either way your in a trough. Pick your weather and you will be fine .Our last boat was a 42 Grand Banks Classic which I still prefer but kids and grandkids like the 4788 for layout

which is hard to beat . Boat is easy to handle alone .Also many are not aware that the cabin superstructure is aluminum not glass fibre

which you normally do not get at this price point .Be sure to join BOC.Guys like smitty have a wealth of knowledge and are willing to share same with the rest of us. I had a 38 Baylinger 30 years ago.It had 175 Hino (naturals) which were bulletproof but I would go with Cummins on a 4788.

"Not don't give me any shxx about being a wimp with thrusters"
Not me - I have no problem with whatever anyone wants to do, just providing data.

"Yep... and that would be the 49 Meridian, which also comes with a bow thruster which is definitely on my list of "must haves"."

The Bayliner 4788 was produced from 1994 untill 2002 when it was 'rebadged' the Meridian 490. The Meridian 490 did not come stock with the thrusters but it was an add any owner could make. Bayliner/Meridian did not want to keep buidling the 4788/490 as they wanted folks to buy the newly designed Meridian 540. But in 2002 and onward they did keep getting orders despite not having the 4788/490 in any advertisements or brochures or shows. They actually did come out with a separate mkt 'sheet' on the 490 in late 2003. So they kept making the boats and finally added the 490 to their marketing 'lineup' in 2005 - despite original plans.

Smitty,

Interesting..... thought the 490 came with a thruster, but I was misinformed. Overall the 490 seems to have a bit better fit and finish, but there's not a lot out there and command a SIGNIFICANT price increase. Worth it if they were close and would love to have a later model, but one can do a LOT of fit and finish work for the price difference and spend the balance of the savings on beer.....

Smitty,

Interesting..... thought the 490 came with a thruster, but I was misinformed. Overall the 490 seems to have a bit better fit and finish, but there's not a lot out there and command a SIGNIFICANT price increase. Worth it if they were close and would love to have a later model, but one can do a LOT of fit and finish work for the price difference and spend the balance of the savings on beer.....

Actually the original 490's were built as 4788's and had to have their badges changed to accomodate the marketing push. Each year of production saw some upgrades and there was always some optional interior finishes which makes them differ some.
The change from Bayliner to Meridian used the same people, in the same factories , using the same tools - and for the 4788 it was the same molds and blueprints.
It would make sense to get inside a few as there is no replacement for a personal inpection - any 4788 or any 490 is fair game for a visit or purchase.

Actually the original 490's were built as 4788's and had to have their badges changed to accomodate the marketing push. Each year of production saw some upgrades and there was always some optional interior finishes which makes them differ some.
The change from Bayliner to Meridian used the same people, in the same factories , using the same tools - and for the 4788 it was the same molds and blueprints.
It would make sense to get inside a few as there is no replacement for a personal inpection - any 4788 or any 490 is fair game for a visit or purchase.

Smitty,
Good advise. Actually, I'm quite anal about seeing and inspecting boats often before I'll make an offer. I don't like making offers "subject to" if I can get a better deal, and a fast cash closing. I give the seller a checklist that I expect to perform on the boat before I show up, so there's NO misunderstanding. For the most part my inspection will take the better part of a day and include an on the water run (which I expect to pay for). So far, I've had excellent luck buying and selling boats houses and planes.

Need to get my Mainship ready for sale and have a few other projects and things to sell first. Downsizing.... have too much junk.

Have people done the Loop in a 4788/490? Any issues with clearance?

I've been considering the 459, but....:socool:

All,

Getting the itch for a bigger boat..... and thinking of the Bayliner 4788 for the following reasons:

Has shallow draft, which I need with my current dock.

Has a lot of room and creature comforts.
Can be single handed with helm doors and both sides of the pilot house and reasonable access to lines.

Has a quality Cummins engine which I like.

Has a reasonable purchase price, being a production boat. And has good bones, and simple mods that can make it better. Want to keep the budget in the $200K range, more or less.

Has stairs to the flybridge.

Has a crane and easy to store a dinghy.

The negatives are minor (for me). Worst is access to the engines, which folks have modified with new hatches in the salon. Doesn't have the fit and finish of the Nordhvan or Fleming, but doesn't have the price either.

Looks nice.

Are there other boats that have these features worth considering? Thoughts?

Uses will be intercoastal cruising, great loop again. Not into passagemaking.

I have a friend with a very nice one in Mobile. He is asking $185. Has the Cummins

Seavee, have you considered a Tolly? They are widely popular in the PNW but here is one in FL.

Nice fit/finish, diesels, good cruising speed, similar length/breadth to 4788, nice tender setup.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/tollycraft-48-cockpit-motor-yacht-3699788/

Good find. In terms of general looks and exterior layout, I think I like the Tolly better. However, it does sacrifice the proper pilothouse of the Bayliner and just has a helm shoved in the salon instead. Which to me means more time will be spent running from the flybridge.

<<<<< Originally Posted by South of Heaven
Seavee, have you considered a Tolly? They are widely popular in the PNW but here is one in FL.

Nice fit/finish, diesels, good cruising speed, similar length/breadth to 4788, nice tender setup.>>>

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...yacht-3699788/

Good find. In terms of general looks and exterior layout, I think I like the Tolly better. However, it does sacrifice the proper pilothouse of the Bayliner and just has a helm shoved in the salon instead. Which to me means more time will be spent running from the flybridge.

The Tolly is a great boat.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of a pilot house.... a lot of wasted space. Most of the time I'd be on the flybridge anyway. A helm in the salon would be fine. Looks like boat boats would operate similar and have the same control at docking... with a slight edge to the Tolly with the exterior walkway.

Now, I really don't like the lower galley...just a preference. And I REALLY dont like the lack of a cockpit, with a cover over it. The aft stateroom is great, but not at the expense of the cockpit.

And, the Tolly is an older boat. The Bayliner is bad enough but newer is better.

When looking for a larger boat we had several criteria that needed to be met. Some of these are due to our PACNW location.

We...

Needed a pilothouse style due to our rainy weather.
Needed a covered cockpit again due to rainy weather
Needed a near sea level cockpit because we fish a lot.
Needed a way to have a tender, out of the way because we fish a lot.
Needed at least two decent size staterooms
Needed two heads with their own showers
Needed to stay within our at that time $300K budget ready to cruise.

We wanted some things

Wanted a full width salon because we want the roominess
Wanted a galley up design
Wanted heavy weather capability as I wanted to cruise the world.
Wanted modern construction without balsa cored decks
Wanted a contemporary look to the interior with solid surfaces, molded in cabinetry in the heads, etc...

My wife wanted some things in contrast to my wants.

she...

Wanted twin engines for redundancy
Wanted the ability to go faster than hull speed.

We looked at a lot of boats that fit our needs and most of our wants. There were no boats that fit everything we needed and wanted.

I was inclined to buy a older LRC. For example a friend had just bought a Hatteras 48 LRC, and I even found a Nordhavn 46 that was a budget stretch at $300K but doable. but In getting any of these boats we’d be giving up things that were important to us.

We compromised and bought a Bayliner 4788.

Yes we had to give up on the idea of world cruising but that was the only thing we had to give up on.

Is it the best boat, or course not, but it is the best for us given our listed wants and needs.

A decade later we are still happy with it, and still cruising our summer away in Alaska. I still work so we are time limited but so far this summer we have spent about a month away from port on the hook, and the boat worked pretty darn well for that endevor.

Last edited:
When looking for a larger boat we had several criteria that needed to be met. Some of these are due to our PACNW location.

We...

Needed a pilothouse style due to our rainy weather.
Needed a covered cockpit again due to rainy weather
Needed a near sea level cockpit because we fish a lot.
Needed a way to have a tender, out of the way because we fish a lot.
Needed at least two decent size staterooms
Needed two heads with their own showers
Needed to stay within our at that time $300K budget ready to cruise.

We wanted some things

Wanted a full width salon because we want the roominess
Wanted a galley up design
Wanted heavy weather capability as I wanted to cruise the world.
Wanted modern construction without balsa cored decks
Wanted a contemporary look to the interior with solid surfaces, molded in cabinetry in the heads, etc...

My wife wanted some things in contrast to my wants.

she...

Wanted twin engines for redundancy
Wanted the ability to go faster than hull speed.

We looked at a lot of boats that fit our needs and most of our wants. There were no boats that fit everything we needed and wanted.

I was inclined to buy a older LRC. For example a friend had just bought a Hatteras 48 LRC, and I even found a Nordhavn 46 that was a budget stretch at $300K but doable. but In getting any of these boats we’d be giving up things that were important to us.

We compromised and bought a Bayliner 4788.

Yes we had to give up on the idea of world cruising but that was the only thing we had to give up on.

Is it the best boat, or course not, but it is the best for us given our listed wants and needs.

A decade later we are still happy with it, and still cruising our summer away in Alaska. I still work so we are time limited but so far this summer we have spent about a month away from port on the hook, and the boat worked pretty darn well for that endevor.

I'm pretty much on the same page with requirements, with a few exceptions.
Dont need two heads or two staterooms, but handy.
Absolutely need a helm that's enclosed for weather traveling, but don't need a pilot house.
Cockpit a MUST
Stairs NOT ladders
Good dink storage
No balsa core
Galley Up
Nice sized salon that has a modern, clean look.
Not a blue water cruiser at all... nice to be in sight of land.
Twins not necessary, but nice. Maintenance is a SMALL part of the total costs. Fuel is my big one... if I'm doing any travel at all.

And, yes, the 4788 is a great compromise.

I think you will be happy with the Bayliner / Meridian as we feel that it is the best value in its section of the boat market. We have had had several friends purchase Bayliner 4788 / Meridian 490’s after spending time on our 490. Earlier this year I was lucky enough to help a friend bring his 490 from Lake Superior back to its new home on the Tennessee River near Knoxville TN. On that trip we had 6 adults on board for a 9 day stretch which gave us a new appreciation for the boats lay out and roominess.

We have had our 2000 Bayliner 4788 for 6 years. BOC is a terrific resource! We brought it up the coast from SF to the PNW in 2018. About a 1,000 miles in open ocean. The straights up here can get nasty as well. We are very careful and try to pick decent weather windows. That said, we have seen some pretty rough conditions. Boat did great. In beam seas, we tack to avoid the worst of it. We have put about 600 hours on her a slept aboard 600 or 700 nights. All boats are compromises. For us, our 47 is a good blend!

By way of additional Tolly 44 vs 4788 - we’ve had both, back-to-back. We like both for different reasons.

Tolly is more “seaworthy” IMO, more stabile in a beam sea but suffers from “snap roll”

Never used Tolly lower helm; FB was two sets of stairs; because of the aft deck “landing” the trek never seemed to be a problem. Our FB was ¾ enclosed. We bundled up during the winter.

The Tolly galley never seemed like it was a “down galley” since it had front windshield “skylights” overhead.

Covered aft deck was great, could fish the boat - good sight lines from FB helm.

Walk around side decks were nice; but,

Two small 20 gal holding tanks, cramped (for me) aft cabin, some boats might need a lot of interior redecorating and monkey fur replacement, older boats might have raw water heads, lots of t-nuts that could be problematic, side decks reduce width of salon, decent but not great storage, salon comfy but not “large.

4788 solidly built, good quality components. Decently kept boats don’t show their 20+ year Age.

Typically fresh water heads, 40 gal black water, 200 gal water, 440 gal fuel. Lots of range in both running time and days away from the dock.

Storage everywhere (look under the mid cabin berth and the forward lower bunk, create easy access to the “attic” under the pilothouse helm).

Easy soft ride, no pounding, moderately “wet”

Huge amount of living space; if you’re not marina hopping you never miss the side decks. We don’t anyway (get a pair of Eartech radios)

Option to pilot from either helm - both offer great visibility.

Salon/gallery seems huge. After 2.5 years I’m still amazed. Keeps us from “trading down” to a 3988

Did I mention storage? (Convert old tube tv cabinet and old stereo cabinet to shelving for even more storage.)

BOC - probably the most active and informative “user group” of all brands - a true resource for brand/model-specific help

Truly livable layout; lots of glass to make those not-so-brochure-worthy-weather days no big deal. It lives like a 450sf small apartment with a 200 sf patio (upper deck)

Very fuel efficient at 1350-1500 (hull speed) rpm and 2300-2500 rpm planing).

On the other hand

Soft chines mean rolly in a beam sea. Add time to your journey by tacking.

A lot of service access is tight, very tight and running cable is a challenge. I’m 72 and large framed (e.g. overweight) and I’ve come close to selling as a result. Then I sit in one of the barrel chairs, look past the sizable salon through the large windows and those frustrations disappear (usually with visions of my VISA card).

A boat that has its own “sticky thread” devoted to leaks.

An awkward layout/access to the v-berth because of shelving/useless cabinets.

If it seems that I miss our Tolly, I do. But all things considered the 4788 is one heck of a great coastal cruiser *for the money*. They offer great value in both initial cost and operating cost (except service if you have to hire out a lot). Our retirement cruising model is 2-4 weeks or more per cruise, not marina dependent, not sunshine dependent, room for our own space, easy to take family or friends for up to a week, etc. The only boat I’d rather have is an Ocean Alexander 48 Classico pilothouse, but given their pricing it ain’t gonna happen plus production stopped mid-1990s IIRC. Like others have offered, feel free to PM me to exchange contact info or a call. I have yet to come across a BOC member who won’t gladly share the great, good, bad, and ugly with candor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom