Boat Selling Frustrations -- Escrow? Nope.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
I have to vent for a second. I’ve learned a couple of lessons the hard way selling boats over the past year. Selling a boat is a fundamentally different type of transaction than selling a house. Over the years, regulations have been put in place to explicitly protect the buyers and sellers from all manner of situations. While many brokers may use similar terminology, they are not the same.

Escrow is a great example. For instance, unless you do something special, there is no escrow when selling a boat. I was under contract for the sale of my boat. The buyer put 10% “down,” and we proceeded through the process. Everything went fine until the day of closing. After the documents had been signed, the buyer got cold feet and did not wire the funds.

I thought, “no problem, I’ll pocket the 10% and sell this boat next week for more!” It turns out that the deposit is not put in escrow but is held by the buyer’s broker, who declined to make that available. Furthermore, had he made the deposit available, up to 50%!! of the deposit would be allotted to the brokers to cover their expenses. You’re relying on the integrity of the buyer’s broker to manage this in your best interest. What I found was that neither broker thought that the deposit should have been forfeited. Brokers seem to value their long-term inter-broker relationships more than that of their transient clients.

(Ultimately, the buyer had a change of heart again and did buy the boat from me at a newly increased price.)

Another example of how there is no escrow and how the buyer’s broker can work against your interests happened to me in another instance where I was selling a boat. The buyer and I agreed to hold back some money for repairs. I wanted to close the deal quickly because I was buying another boat at the same time. Otherwise, I would have managed the repairs myself.

For a house, this would be escrow. For a boat, quite a bit different. In this case, there were two big problems. The first was very poorly worded holdback language in the closing statement that broadly defined “repairs.” The second problem was that the distribution of the holdback was at the sole discretion of the “Selling Broker.” However, the “Selling Broker” was defined (and I missed this) as the buyer’s broker! My broker was the “Listing Broker.” The sentence read, “Funds held in reserve for repairs under control of Selling Broker.”

After some time, the buyer and I didn’t agree to the repairs (and other things). In the interest of moving on, I was prepared to agree to release the funds if the buyer signed a release. He declined. Then the buyer decided that he would exercise his contractual right to have his broker take back the holdback without notifying me. Once again, this was reliant on the ‘honor’ of the buyer/buyer’s broker, which is a horrible way to do business. I have to admit; I’m super pissed about this. There was a lot of unfortunate cussing today.

I’m not sure how this will end. In a significant sense, it is over. Maybe the buyer will sign the release, but I don’t see why he would do it now since he didn't sign it before. I will run into this guy; it’s a small world. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I haven’t met him yet, which is another tangent I won’t get into (brokers wouldn’t let us meet). I generally have good and long relationships with the people who buy houses and boats from me. Not this time.

Funny side note. The closing service had accidentally released the funds in question to me the previous week. I notified them and wired it back.

So what have I learned? Pay the $ to have your docs reviewed by an attorney.

I own up to my own sloppiness. Both issues were in the contract there for all to see. The deposit language was specific. I read it at the time but didn’t give it the proper thought, and it was a boilerplate agreement that this well-respected broker has used hundreds of times. On the second issue, I should have insisted on a narrower definition of repairs (I was in a hurry, I let it slide), and my broker/representative should have noticed the problem with the control of the funds. After all, I do pay them for something, yes?

I won’t be selling a boat for the foreseeable future; we love Gallivant and I think she’ll be with us for a long time – those are truly the best days of boat ownership.

Sorry you ran into the issues you did. Hopefully your cautionary tale will prevent someone else from getting screwed.

Many more differences between selling boats and selling houses besides what you mentioned. For instance, many people continue to insist that the seller is required to disclose issues with their boat, the way that sellers of houses must . . .:nonono: Lots of other differences, bottom line read the contract, ask to see a copy of the perspective contract from your listing broker, before you list with them. If they refuse, find another broker. Oh, and on the issue of splitting any forfeited earnest money, that's making it's way into real estate too. We sold a house three years ago, one last year, and one is listed right now. All the contracts stated that in the event of forfeit of earnest money, the forfeited money would be split equally between the Seller, and the Seller's agent . . . yeah, THAT ain't happening. I don't feel that a broker (be it boat, or house) should profit from not closing a deal . . . All the realtors were told that that was non-negotiable. All three agents told me it wasn't in the contract, until I pointed it out to them. We lined through that part, and one of the agens said she would get the broker's approval before we signed the contract. One refused, so I told the agent her services were no longer required. Two days later she called back and said that her broker had changed his mind, and the lined through portion could stay. I informed her that we had already listed with another company.

Bottom line. READ ANY CONTRACT you intend on signing. If you don't understand something, pay an attorney to look over the contract and explain it to you until you are comfortable signing. ALL CONTRACTS ARE NEGOTIABLE! If an agent or broker tells you they aren't, find another broker/agent.

Once you sign the contract, you are bound to it. READ IT THOROUGHLY! BEFORE you sign! Sorry to harp on this, but it is extremely important. Lots more broker stories to relate, but this is not the place.

Honest question. Buyer brings the offer, aren’t they bringing the proposed contract to the deal?

Also since boat sales really aren’t that regulated, as the seller you could have sued to enforce the sale and the heck with the earnest money, yes?

"many people continue to insist that the seller is required to disclose issues with their boat, the way that sellers of houses must"

Frankly, I like to do this and I appreciate when someone does this for me. Which is one reason the brokers don't like me on board. But I can also sell it better than they can, and be honest at the same time. I always do an in-depth complete survey with a very highly respected firm, but even they don't get a complete picture.

I did buy a boat from an estate once, and as we all know, dead men tell no tales... No manual, very little in the way of documentation. It was a voyage of discovery. : )

mikehar: Just wow. Super useful lessons learned. What good is an earnest money deposit if it's not at risk? And what incentive does it hold to entice a seller to enter into a deal if the seller has no potential claim on the money, even if the buyer defaults?

As slowgoesit says, all contracts are negotiable. With me, any broker who declares something to be "non-negotiable" just negotiated themselves out of a prospective deal.

Thanks for sharing those unhappy learning experiences.

Selling boats is not like selling a house. Selling a house is highly regulated. Selling boats not so much. Now, the Buyer brought you a contract that you accepted. All the things you list are included in the contract. You could have refused the contract and insisted on a contract that had more skin in the game. Brokers figured out long time ago that if you didn't give the buyer an out they would not commit. The fault here is either with your Selling Broker for not walking you through the offer or your own for not reading the contract offer.

Remember with a house the seller has to disclose 12 pages of things. With a boat it is buyer beware.

It all comes down to the contract.

All I have seen include the broker keeping 50% of a forfeited deposit. You can always strike that out, and probably should. If their client is uncommitted, then they shouldn't get a reward for it.

Have your broker hold the deposit, or you hold it yourself.

The contract should have a clear point where the buyer has completed their due-diligence and "accepts" the boat. After the acceptance, they should be contractually obligated to buy the boat, and the deposit should become non-refundable. There should also be a data at which acceptance happens automatically unless. In other words, they should have to explicitly reject the boat before that date, or it becomes an acceptance by default.

Remember, you are stalled on selling the boat while a contracted buyer is dicking around. So there should be a clear time limit for their dicking, afterwards they need to chit or get off the pot.

One thing I hadn't thought of before would be to have the deposit released to you on acceptance.

I've been really surprised how flaky boat buyers are. I think they are the worst of all the types of things I have bought and sold in my life.

Here in Florida brokers must be licensed, and we have "real" escrow. Brokers are required to maintain a separate account, monitored by a 3rd-party, for any monies that are held until closing. A Florida broker would lose their license in a heartbeat if they did what the OP described.

First, use a third party title/escrow/closing service.

These generally supply a wide range of services such as documentation, and lein search.

Second, in the contract leave no ambiguity.

Have all funds including the initial deposit made out to the marine title company.

This keeps the brokers out of the picture. The marine title company uses the signed purchase agreement and the inclusive contract.

This is one of the reasons I recommend using a buyer’s broker. Note how the original offer was so In favor of the buyer that he was able to walk at the twelfth hour with no penalty. It wouldn’t surprise me if found a different boat to buy and pulled the plug on this deal.

Don’t forget, the buyer had some skin in the game with the cost of a survey and still decided to bail.

Here in Florida brokers must be licensed, and we have "real" escrow. Brokers are required to maintain a separate account, monitored by a 3rd-party, for any monies that are held until closing. A Florida broker would lose their license in a heartbeat if they did what the OP described.

It would be nice if all states would take the hint and regulate boat brokers. There are a lot of shady ones out there . . . based on our somewhat limited experience with brokers in Texas, Hawaii, Washington State, and Florida only. . .

There are also a lot of brokers out there who are lazy, or just inexperienced, and not necessarily crooked. Not returning phone calls/e-mails is one example of a somewhat less than stellar broker who isn't necessarily crooked. Ran into a LOT of those in our recent boat search/buying experience . . . which actually worked FOR us, as after we noted on the forum that we had purchased our boat, we ran into three people who contacted us and said that they had attempted to contact the broker about purchasing the boat we ended up buying, but never got replies. The fault there COULD have lain with yachtworld however, as at least two of them had done the broker contact thru YW only . . . . I also contacted through YW, and after a week of no reply, I chased down the actual salesman, called him, left a voicemail, and he called back 20 minutes later. We ended up buying the boat through him.

This is one of the reasons I recommend using a buyer’s broker. Note how the original offer was so In favor of the buyer that he was able to walk at the twelfth hour with no penalty. It wouldn’t surprise me if found a different boat to buy and pulled the plug on this deal.

Don’t forget, the buyer had some skin in the game with the cost of a survey and still decided to bail.

OP stated in his first post that the buyer that reneged eventually came back and bought the boat, but at a newly advertised higher price!:D

That's good to hear. In Washington, anyone can get a license, I have one.

However.... FL boat brokers have the *worst* reputation anywhere. I have limited experience in that market but I have seen some things...

Last edited:

In this case, I felt like the buyer's broker acted unethically. Good for the buyer? Hmmm.

OP stated in his first post that the buyer that reneged eventually came back and bought the boat, but at a newly advertised higher price!:D

That is correct. Like a house, time on the market is valuable. So if the buyer bails at the very last moment like this one, there should be some compensation for the opportunity cost.

Lucky for me, the boat market was insane this summer, and given how fast it sold the first time, I was pretty sure that I underpriced the boat so it was an opportunity for me to rectify that. If he hadn't come back right away, I probably would have raised the price *another* $10k and still sold it within a week. Which, arguably, would mean that it was still underpriced. FBOW, I don't seem motivated to maximize the profit on these transactions.

I had tried to sell the same boat for a similar price two years ago and saw no serious inquiries. Crazy year.

Shout out to Yacht Broker!

Mikhar, glad that one worked out for you for the best!

Just a follow up to my previous posts on the thread. I do not believe that all Yacht Brokers are bad. It's just that sometimes it's difficult to know who is a good broker and who is a not so good broker!

The broker we ended up buying our boat through was Eric Blendheim, of Fairhaven Yacht Sales in LaConner, WA, who falls into the first (good) category.
Although he was the agent representing the Sellers for the boat we purchased, he went out of his way to assist us, the buyers, in any way he could.

He called me back within 20 minutes of me leaving him a voicemail. We spoke the first time for over an hour about boats in general, and this boat in particular. Then a couple of more long conversations over the next few days, culminated with a 90 minute Facetime walk-through of the boat, real time, with him pointing our features, and me asking questions, and asking for close up shots of various aspects of the boat.

He had no issues with me speaking with the seller directly, especially since this boat is pretty much a one off build. I spoke to the seller for about 4 hours over the next few days, then went back to Eric to write up an offer, which the sellers accepted. Eric arranged our meet up at the boat, suggesting close by lodging, and arranged the haul-out and coordinated with the surveyor for us. He was along for the survey and sea trial, along with the sellers. Great people all. We ran into a few hiccups with the fluid samples, and Eric helped us out on that as well. He hooked us up with Kim George of Pacific Maritime Title who handled the escrow, title work and marine documentation in a totally professional manner.

I almost forgot to mention that Eric arranged for short term moorage for the boat after the sale, until the liveaboard moorage contracted for came available.

Overall "Shout Out" to Eric Blendheim of Fairhaven Yacht Sales in LaConner, Washington State. Great service, great attention to detail, and I would enthusiastically recommend him for the purchase of a boat!

Unlike RE transactions... for which I always use a broker:

For 50 + years... whenever the time is right... I've been privately selling-to and purchasing-from other private individuals... regarding my boats, cars, RV's and motorcycles. Never used a broker for either buying or selling. Never had a problem that could not be readily handled during the process of a purchase or sale. I keep everything transparently "on the table" and hide nothing. Simultaneously, I stay always ready to walk away from the table on any deal; be it buying or selling.

For buying I make sure that in regard to my dollars offered and manner in which transactions are handled I keep my funds in positions so that I can't be leveraged and taken advantage of by an unplanned for sudden loss on my part, due to others' potential unseemly maneuvers. For selling I make sure things work well in similar manner to buying, but in the opposite direction, making sure the buyer also can not get stuck financially. Money by no means is important enough to me for getting into a squabble - with anyone. If a buyer wants to walk away and asks for deposit back [if one has even been provided] I will immediately provide same. That = No Foul / No Loss / No Legal BS from or for either side. The item I have will eventually sell; of that I'm certain!

Last edited:
As a seller or buyer, always use a 3rd party escrow. Only about $500 shared between seller and buyer. And they will take care of all CG documentation issues.

Don't let broker hold down payment. Their "bond" is only a few $k shared among all clients. You will not be made whole should the broker go out of business.

Don't let broker hold down payment. Their "bond" is only a few $k shared among all clients. You will not be made whole should the broker go out of business.
Again, not true in the state of Florida. In Florida, brokers are required by law to have escrow monies held by a third-party.

Your statement is probably true in most states, but not in Florida. I wouldn't be surprised if it is not true in one or two others, also. Every state has their own laws.

Back
Top Bottom