Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

City: marietta
Fly bridge?

Do trawler people like the fly bridge? what are some must haves in the trawler world? thanks
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Guru

Flybridge is a must in warm areas. 2 station steering not so much.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Really nice to have even in the rainy PNW. Spend a lot of time up there in the summer. For me personally, I wouldn't buy a trawler without a flybridge.

Larry B
Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Lots of different opinions about it here. Do a quick search. Some love them and some don't.

I used to think it would be a deal breaker for our next boat to not have one, but now I have taken it off of the "must have" list. Still want one, but will deal with it if there are other qualities I get in place of it.

Tom-
Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

After spending countless hours in a cockpit I now long for the comforts of setting inside. I'm not one to sit in an 'Oxygen Tent' as one of the senior members refer to them.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
My Avatar = My Answer

As Tom, i.e. Gonzo says... Do a search... plenty of posts to review on this subject.

Art
Old 10-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Most people want/like flybridges. I'm not most people.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopro View Post
Do trawler people like the fly bridge? what are some must haves in the trawler world? thanks
Never use it except for guests. Don't like driving from up there, hate close-in maneuvering from up there. Had the boat 14 years so far, have used the flying bridge to actually operate the boat perhaps five times.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Never use it except for guests. Don't like driving from up there, hate close-in maneuvering from up there. Had the boat 14 years so far, have used the flying bridge to actually operate the boat perhaps five times.
Wow, Marin... Only five sunny PNW days for bridge operations in that many years! Just kidding... kinda!!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I'm exactly the opposite of Marin, it takes a really bad storm to drive me to my lower station. I love the visibility I get on my bridge. I can't imagine trying to back into a slip from my lower station. Of course I'm in Miami and Marin is in some God forsaken rainy place.

If you're thinking about buying a trawler, why not charter one first and see if you like the bridge or not?

"what are some must haves in the trawler world?" Not a must have but a wish I had, bow thruster on a single engine boat.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I'm exactly the opposite of Marin, it takes a really bad storm to drive me to my lower station. I love the visibility I get on my bridge. I can't imagine trying to back into a slip from my lower station. Of course I'm in Miami and Marin is in some God forsaken rainy place.

If you're thinking about buying a trawler, why not charter one first and see if you like the bridge or not?

"what are some must haves in the trawler world?" Not a must have but a wish I had, bow thruster on a single engine boat.
HopCar - I agree with you! Gotta be one heck inclement weather to get me off the bridge and into the salon for piloting. Also, I've never had a bridge enclosed, using bimini top only... and during sunny days only. Open air pleases me to no end on the bridge. You don't miss a thing from up there. 360 degree visibility and clear sound waves from every direction, at a considerably higher vantage point to boot!!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
Master and Commander

Everyone has their own set of "must-haves." Mine were:

Sleep two, feed/entertain six.

Keel-protected shaft and propeller.

360-degree visibility from pilothouse.

Wide 360-degree deck with high and sturdy railings.

Stove, refrigerator, sink, toilet, shower.

Adequate tankage (fuel, water, holding). Minimum 500 mile range.

Bow thruster if single-propulsion.

Displacement-hull speed (maximum) capability.

Diesel engine.

Windlass.

Depth finder, radar, GPS, electronic charts, auto-pilot.

Separate house and engine batteries.

Eye appeal and not a "fixer-upper."

Some desirable features I don't have (didn't get them because the acquisition and maintenance costs exceeded their utility for me):

Heater.

Air conditioner.

Genset.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #13
Master and Commander

I'm the opposite of Art and Hop.

I don't like heights and prefer not to climb ladders or worry about being thrown out from an overlooked wake or errant wave.

Had enough open-air boating from my sailboat days.

Don't welcome the higher expense and failure of duplicate controls and navigation devices.

I'm fine with an enclosed helmsman position with 360-degree visibility and good, as needed, ventilation.

I can reach VHF radio and all engine and steering controls from outside the starboard pilothouse door.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Big Tuna
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
I have a flybridge. In the summer, my wife and son are up there often. I go up for a few minutes, but I quite enjoy my pilothouse in any conditions. My favorite open air space is actually lounging on the bow. Guests love the fly. We often eat up there. It is high and the 360 views of wherever we are add to any meal. When I was buying a boat, I always thought of resale and from my impromptu research, came to the conclusion that more people want (or initially think they want) a flybridge. I don't regret mine, but would not completely miss it either. If building a new boat....not that I would, I would probably spend the 40-50k on other boat goodies. Hope that response was wishy washy enough!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldpaul View Post
I... My favorite open air space is actually lounging on the bow.
My guests also enjoy sitting on the forward cabin roof when the weather is suitable and the boat isn't kicking up spray over the bow.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wow, Marin... Only five sunny PNW days for bridge operations in that many years! Just kidding... kinda!!
------------------------------------
Actually, we had 80 plus non rain days (measured in Seattle) from mid July until early October. It was something like .07 of an inch for the whole region during that time. We were praying for rain by October to settle the dust and put out the forest fires in Eastern Washington. Driest September on record!!

But don't feel bad for us, it's back to normal now!
LB
Old 10-22-2012, 02:10 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
Our dislike of operating from a flying bridge has nothing to do with weather. We both dislike the sight picture from up there in terms of operations and we don't like being disconnected from the boat. At the lower helm we can hear, feel, and smell what's going on in the engine room. We once averted an electrical fire (short in a loud hailer/ intercom) by being at the lower helm instead of up above. We can much better judge the boat's exact position during docking from down below, and if the person on deck needs a hand the person at the helm is there immediately.

There is a nice view of the scenery from the flying bridge and it's a good safe place for the propane locker. Outside of those two things we have no use for it.

In both our opinions the best configuration for a cruising boat is a raised pilothouse. We would take that configuration over a flying bridge any day.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We like the fly bridge. It's like having a second story. It's great hang out space when the weather's nice. Under way (day light only), I probably spend most of my time up there.

We also fish a lot. It's pretty exciting to troll by a weed patch and see a couple of dorado streaking toward your lures.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
It is a must have for me, I always drive from there unless the weather is bad, or on one of the infrequent night long trips.
Steve W
Old 10-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
Guru

Love the flybridge. I have only run from below half dozen times in 20 years. Visibility is so much better up top.
Closed Thread

Tags
fly bridge