Old 04-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #221

City: SC
Vessel Name: Sea Flute
Vessel Model: 1979 Fairchild Scout
What dosen't seem overpriced now? We did almost buy a new 67 Vicem motor yacht that was at a huge discount from the new price. That seemed to be a deal and the joinerwork was stunning. I have since found that some people do not like cold molded boats. I wonder when the party will end? Seems like 2007 redux.

Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #222

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopo View Post
What dosen't seem overpriced now? We did almost buy a new 67 Vicem motor yacht that was at a huge discount from the new price. That seemed to be a deal and the joinerwork was stunning. I have since found that some people do not like cold molded boats. I wonder when the party will end? Seems like 2007 redux.
You didn’t buy it because some people don’t like cold molded boats? Or some other reason? I’m curious why some people don’t like cold molded construction.

Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #223

City: Hilton Head Island
The "party will end" when we least expect it. My guess is it may occur when someone panics on crypto coins and starts selling their coins.....crypto is an asset the kind people that can afford expensive boats like to buy....once they lose their coins, their boats will be on the market rather quickly. Until then, us little guys will have to get used to paying 80% of the cost of a new boat for a boat that is more than 15 years old.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #224
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahevala View Post
Looking for a live aboard long distance cruiser. The discussion is are stabilizers essential? We have been told by a few brokers that we definitely want stabilizers. But could a 52’ full displacement hull boat with 60,000 displacement handle beam seas without stabilizers? Looking at the Seahorse 52 in California and would cruise her down to the Sea of Cortez and maybe through the Panama into the Caribbean, or even up north to PNW/Alaska. Would you go with an unstabilized boat for this type of cruising? We are coming from a 37’ trawler that definitely rolled in beam seas! Thanks in advance.
The question is could YOU hand beam seas without stabilizers. I personally agree with the brokers that if that is indeed your plans, then stabilizers are pretty much a must.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #225
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The question is could YOU hand beam seas without stabilizers. I personally agree with the brokers that if that is indeed your plans, then stabilizers are pretty much a must.
I would never own a boat without stabilizers for cruising long distances. Amazing how many who find themselves with stabilizers say they'll never go back. One thing so often overlooked is the virtual elimination of sea sickness in normal cruising. Sure makes it a lot more comfortable when friends join you and you know it's unlikely.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote