Old 04-10-2021, 07:14 AM   #221
Guru

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
What dosen't seem overpriced now? We did almost buy a new 67 Vicem motor yacht that was at a huge discount from the new price. That seemed to be a deal and the joinerwork was stunning. I have since found that some people do not like cold molded boats. I wonder when the party will end? Seems like 2007 redux.
Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:55 AM   #222
Guru

City: Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adopo View Post
What dosen't seem overpriced now? We did almost buy a new 67 Vicem motor yacht that was at a huge discount from the new price. That seemed to be a deal and the joinerwork was stunning. I have since found that some people do not like cold molded boats. I wonder when the party will end? Seems like 2007 redux.
You didn’t buy it because some people don’t like cold molded boats? Or some other reason? I’m curious why some people don’t like cold molded construction.
Porgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #223

City: Hilton Head Island
The "party will end" when we least expect it. My guess is it may occur when someone panics on crypto coins and starts selling their coins.....crypto is an asset the kind people that can afford expensive boats like to buy....once they lose their coins, their boats will be on the market rather quickly. Until then, us little guys will have to get used to paying 80% of the cost of a new boat for a boat that is more than 15 years old.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:02 PM   #224
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahevala View Post
Looking for a live aboard long distance cruiser. The discussion is are stabilizers essential? We have been told by a few brokers that we definitely want stabilizers. But could a 52’ full displacement hull boat with 60,000 displacement handle beam seas without stabilizers? Looking at the Seahorse 52 in California and would cruise her down to the Sea of Cortez and maybe through the Panama into the Caribbean, or even up north to PNW/Alaska. Would you go with an unstabilized boat for this type of cruising? We are coming from a 37’ trawler that definitely rolled in beam seas! Thanks in advance.
The question is could YOU hand beam seas without stabilizers. I personally agree with the brokers that if that is indeed your plans, then stabilizers are pretty much a must.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:52 PM   #225
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
The question is could YOU hand beam seas without stabilizers. I personally agree with the brokers that if that is indeed your plans, then stabilizers are pretty much a must.
I would never own a boat without stabilizers for cruising long distances. Amazing how many who find themselves with stabilizers say they'll never go back. One thing so often overlooked is the virtual elimination of sea sickness in normal cruising. Sure makes it a lot more comfortable when friends join you and you know it's unlikely.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #226
STG
Veteran Member

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Maudy
Vessel Model: 1987 Grand Banks 32
Boat search 101

I would like to buy a GB Classic 42 and have found one. The right price, condition, engines, and layout; However, my wife is not for it and wants to buy a condo near our grand kids. I have tried to include her but she refuses. I can not afford to do both.
Fooy I say but she will not budge. I'm going to work with her and perhaps she will come around. Any and all comments welcomed.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #227
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
I would like to buy a GB Classic 42 and have found one. The right price, condition, engines, and layout; However, my wife is not for it and wants to buy a condo near our grand kids. I have tried to include her but she refuses. I can not afford to do both.
Fooy I say but she will not budge. I'm going to work with her and perhaps she will come around. Any and all comments welcomed.
Happy wife, happy life.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 AM   #228
STG
Veteran Member

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Maudy
Vessel Model: 1987 Grand Banks 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Happy wife, happy life.
There must be a way.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:32 AM   #229
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Low ball the condo. When offer not accepted get the boat! If low ball offer is accepted then refinance the house and get the boat!!

Happy wife and happy YOU too = Happy Lives! Ya only live once... in some way - get the boat!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #230
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Low ball the condo. When offer not accepted get the boat! If low ball offer is accepted then refinance the house and get the boat!!

Happy wife and happy YOU too = Happy Lives! Ya only live once... in some way - get the boat!
But if the wife is going to be p**ssed-off and/or resentful every time she (or just you go) out in the boat, where's the fun in that?

Best situation is a compromise. Perhaps an smaller condo AND a smaller boat?
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:28 AM   #231
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
But if the wife is going to be p**ssed-off and/or resentful every time she (or just you go) out in the boat, where's the fun in that?

Best situation is a compromise. Perhaps an smaller condo AND a smaller boat?
In my great relationship of 25 + yrs. Happy Both of Us = Happy Life!

Ol' BS of Happy Wife [alone] = Happy Life... did not work out in previous relationships. And, I walked... She did too from hers.

"Equal Rights" and the word "Happiness" works in both directions as far as my wife and I are concerned. There are of course compromises made in each direction. Face it: Full-on, live-together life with that special other is a neverendingly adjustable contract that must [centrally should] keep both sides HAPPY!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #232
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
Buy the condo, enjoy the grandkids and have a great time. Perhaps a smaller boat near the condo will be in your future.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #233
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Diagnose whether your partner is immovable or open to change. Also what her issue is, is it anxiety or fear about boating in general, or the thought of doing something she perceives as so unconventional? Is it anxiety over the financial aspect? If so, then you have your work cut out for you to address her fears, keeping in mind that logic and facts are not always applicable when dealing with anxiety over something.

My wife and I have boated together on and off since we have been married. We charter for a week in Puget every year or two or three. We owned a decent-sized express cruiser when we lived on Lake Superior, and smaller craft before that. She also lived in coastal Alaska for a long time both before and after we met and boated in skiffs and smaller work vessels as part of work. She's an avid sea kayaker. Even so, it has been a solid two year journey to get us to where "we" are actually emotionally ready to move forward with a purchase of a sizable boat for part-time full-timing (doesn't sound right but that's our plan ). Not being too patient of a person myself, it has been...an experience. But we finally got there. It hasn't been by my nagging her. It's been by addressing her concerns.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #234

City: Hilton Head Island
Well, STG, your post said "all comments welcome", so here goes. We have the exact opposite problem you have - wife looking forward to going trawlering, but we can't find a boat that is reasonably priced for the condition and options we want. I suspect by the language in your post that you started boating looking without including her. I started our trawler hunt by asking her what she wanted in the boat and her list is as follows: queen center bed, air conditioning so cold the windows frost, vented washer/dryer, one of those "huge USCG inflatable lift rafts that carry 4 people plus the dog", standup shower, separate toilet, gas stove, coffee maker, & wine chiller. Try asking her for a "wish" list of what she wants. After 36 years of marriage, I've found that my "boat" list doesn't matter, if she gets her list, she will give me all the boat I can handle, and more. Give it a shot, can't hurt.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:34 PM   #235
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Where is the GB you are looking at.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:38 PM   #236
Veteran Member

City: Washington
Ok I've read through the boat search 101 here now, and I know some if not most of you have already seen me say "ok this is what I want" a couple of times. I WAS gung ho on twin screws, but honestly, I want to live/hang out on the boat, most of the time. Take it out to the Pamlico sound as often as possible, hopefully every weekend. I'd like to fish off of it, but don't have to have a sport fishing type deck. For the local fishing I can drag along my john boat and use it for the fishing, while the floating house is my mother ship. I would like to, honestly probably twice per summer, because fair weekends offshore seem to be that rare lately, and it's a good haul to get to the inlet from Washington NC, go offshore and be able to carry my diving friends. Even with an aft cabin, if there's a swim platform, worst case scenario is that I let them do like navy seals and dive off the dinghy and reboard on the swim platform. I want to live on the boat. That's first and foremost. I don't want it to be like camping. A real bed would be great, which means aft cabin probably. Full sized shower. Single diesel engine (i'm a diesel mechanic). don't need twin screws, if it's got generator, AC, etc..and it breaks down offshore, it would be on a beautiful weekend anyway, and I can just live on my floating house til i get towed or til i fixed the engine myself. I'm still learning as fast as i can go about power boats, I went through all this type research when buying a sailboat years ago, but budget was tiny back then, and got a project. I want basically turn key as far as living on it. I have budget cushion for dinghy davit, etc..
I need advice on boats to look for, because there are so many, and so easy to find conflicting info on if they are good or if they are a death trap. PLEASE HELP!
Drummer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #237
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Boat Search 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer79 View Post
Ok I've read through the boat search 101 here now, and I know some if not most of you have already seen me say "ok this is what I want" a couple of times. I WAS gung ho on twin screws, but honestly, I want to live/hang out on the boat, most of the time. Take it out to the Pamlico sound as often as possible, hopefully every weekend. I'd like to fish off of it, but don't have to have a sport fishing type deck. For the local fishing I can drag along my john boat and use it for the fishing, while the floating house is my mother ship. I would like to, honestly probably twice per summer, because fair weekends offshore seem to be that rare lately, and it's a good haul to get to the inlet from Washington NC, go offshore and be able to carry my diving friends. Even with an aft cabin, if there's a swim platform, worst case scenario is that I let them do like navy seals and dive off the dinghy and reboard on the swim platform. I want to live on the boat. That's first and foremost. I don't want it to be like camping. A real bed would be great, which means aft cabin probably. Full sized shower. Single diesel engine (i'm a diesel mechanic). don't need twin screws, if it's got generator, AC, etc..and it breaks down offshore, it would be on a beautiful weekend anyway, and I can just live on my floating house til i get towed or til i fixed the engine myself. I'm still learning as fast as i can go about power boats, I went through all this type research when buying a sailboat years ago, but budget was tiny back then, and got a project. I want basically turn key as far as living on it. I have budget cushion for dinghy davit, etc..
I need advice on boats to look for, because there are so many, and so easy to find conflicting info on if they are good or if they are a death trap. PLEASE HELP!
It sounds to me like you are describing a convertible/sportfisher. Some come with higher-horsepower single diesels instead of (much) more common twins, and have comfortable enough digs belowdecks with decent-sized one or two staterooms and real showers, though the salon will be smaller than a similarly sized trawler yacht ostensibly because of a more spacious aft deck/cockpit for fishing and diving galore.

I would imagine that so long as you don't go too small, it would be a comfortable enough liveaboard, though even in the mid-Atlantic some winter days would be pretty darn chilly with only reverse-cycle heat in your AC system, though plugged in at a marina you could supplement with one or two space heaters or even get a diesel furnace installed ($$),

Here's one example of what I'm talking about though this one has twins I believe: https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1988...tfish-7934116/
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #238
Guru

City: Victoria B.C.
One of the big problems!s for those searching for boats is that of the many threads in various formus is that of sales agents not bothering to answer queries. Some say theyre too spoilt, complacent, lazy, etc. The best responders Ive seen were from Seaton Yachts, and Meta Chantier. Others didnt bother at all. They cant use the lame excuse of frilolous windowshoppers. If the seller has to have all the info for serious buys, they could just send it to anybody who asks. Yet many wont do that.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #239
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWellington View Post
One of the big problems!s for those searching for boats is that of the many threads in various formus is that of sales agents not bothering to answer queries. Some say theyre too spoilt, complacent, lazy, etc. The best responders Ive seen were from Seaton Yachts, and Meta Chantier. Others didnt bother at all. They cant use the lame excuse of frilolous windowshoppers. If the seller has to have all the info for serious buys, they could just send it to anybody who asks. Yet many wont do that.

I was told by the owner of one of the brokerage houses that I respect, that Yachtworld often does not pass on referrals when people use the contact info on an ad. I can attest from personal experience that several of the brokers who I finally chased down by other means never received the YW referrals. With our current boat, when I posted that we had it under contract, I received messages from five (yep, FIVE) people who told me they had been interested in the boat, but the broker never responded to their YW inquiries! He never responded to my YW either, 3 messages over as many weeks. I finally tracked down his phone number, called, got voice mail, left a message, and he called me back within two hours. It worked out well for us, as we got the boat, but sucked for the seller, the broker, and other interested parties. I truly believe that he never received my inquiries through YW. One person who had contacted the broker did exactly what I did, after using the YW link several times. Broker responded right back to him when he left a message, but he didn't end up purchasing because family wasn't quite ready to make the commitment. (you know who you are!)
Old 10-15-2021, 10:24 AM   #240
Guru

City: Victoria B.C.
Slowgoesit.......thanks and yes....seems like really bad business models a lot of them have. You would think theydr know they are losing business because of it. Thats what complascency is. In contrast I was amazed at the Seaton rep. He even went into great detail on the pros and cons of a wet vs. dry exhaust systems! So the Seaton 60 is on the shortlist for us, wheras several others are blown off since they cant be bothered trying to sell their boats. One of the main offenders is Moen Marin in Norway.
JWellington is offline   Reply With Quote