boat registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawler nut

when buying a boat do you have to register it in the state in which you live or can you register it in any state? if you can register it in any state,which state is the best and which one would be the worst and the why for the the best and worst?

For state registration, one registers where the boat is regularly docked/used.

You probably need to check the state laws of the state you live in. I would be surprised if some states won't require you to atleast pay the sales tax as a resident of the state. Isn't that what happened to John Kerry when he tried to keep his sailboat in Rhode Island to avoid paying sales tax to Massachusetts?

Ted

Yes, they will collect the sales tax when you register the boat. But if you try to get around it more and more states are watching it now due to the revenue. Michigan actively looks for boats registered incorrectly or not registered at all if they are documented.

You’re in PA? If your boat is used in PA, it must be taxed and registered there. If it is not ever going to be in PA, you will not be taxed. Most states go by “state of principal use” in determining where it must be registered and subject to tax.

If you register your boat in another state, you might expect a friendly letter from PA Revenue starting out, “Hey looks like you bought yourself a boat...” If so, you’ll need to tell them the boat was never in PA and submit a marina slip contract to prove it.

However, if your boat subsequently ever slides across the line into PA however briefly, you will be on the hook for the PA tax.

I'd concur with those who recommend paying the tax in the state you'll be docking the boat. We were PA residents when we bought our trawler, we registered it in MD (documented) since we were using it in MD. We paid the sales tax to MD, saved 1% vs. what we'd have paid in PA (at the time), and still have the boat registered in MD.

Whatever you decide, KEEP YOUR TAX RECEIPTS!! Forever.

PA attempted to intimidate me into paying sales tax on at least 3 different occasions over 8 years, insisting I send them copies of supporting documentation each time. By the 3rd time I had enough. I sent them a registered letter with copies of my previous reply letters but no copies they requested. Told them I do have the documentation but it is archived so I won't be forwarding the copies. I do know where my copies are, where are yours?? I owe you nothing, stop harrassing me. I never heard another word.

No longer a PA resident!

Back
Top Bottom