boat as primary residence- What is my address?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stickman

Vessel Name
THIRD CHILD
Vessel Make
KADEY KROGEN 48AE
Looking at tax implications of my next boat. If I declare my next boat to be my primary residence (Charleston, SC), what is my address? I don't believe I can use post office box for driver's license, etc.

Thanks for input from anyone that's gone down this path. Happy to discuss off-line.

Thanks,

Sandy

Looking at tax implications of my next boat. If I declare my next boat to be my primary residence (Charleston, SC), what is my address? I don't believe I can use post office box for driver's license, etc.

Thanks for input from anyone that's gone down this path. Happy to discuss off-line.

Thanks,

Sandy
I think this varies from state to state.

I'm in California. The DMV will accept a PO Box as my mailing address but still want to know a physical address (I give my marina). They can handle both. I believe the PO Box will show on my license but I haven't go a new one yet.

For voting purposes I am registered in the county where my boat resides and not where my PO Box is (in a different county). This worked fine for me - they happily sent my voting materials to the PO Box.

Pretty much everyone else has taken just the PO Box. I've had one financial institution request a physical address under the Patriot Act. Many others don't seem bothered about my just having a PO Box.

Car Insurance companies want to know the physical location of the vehicle for actuarial purposes. This hasn't been an issue for me.

[Edit] I just realized you talked about tax implications. Not sure what kind of tax. For property taxes here it's based on the county that the boat resides. For Federal and State Tax they only know my PO Box and have not asked for a physical address. [Edit]

Let me know if you have other questions.

You might want to request that this thread be moved to the Liveaboards sub forum.

Richard

Last edited:

Thanks,

Sandy

Tax implications, I'm not sure what taxes you're referring to. You will be subject to SC income taxes, local property taxes if there are any on boat in SC. You can and should use a PO Box for all mail. Use the marina as the physical address and be sure it's clear everywhere you use it that you don't receive mail there. For 98% of all you do, the PO Box will be the only address you need. For driver's license, insurance, vehicle registration, and Amazon delivery you'll need a physical address, the marina. If you have a slip, always can use the slip number as a Unit number. PO actually uses Unit number over apt number, etc.

If you use a commercial mail box service instead of the USPS, it makes cruising easier. Mine excepts packages from all delivery services and will hold or forward mail including repackaging and finding the cheapest shipping rate.
I've lived aboard in all the western states and all get two addresses, my po box and the address of my private dock in Oregon as a physical address. Oregon is a no sales tax state so my money goes 5-10% farther.

If you use a commercial mail box service instead of the USPS, it makes cruising easier. Mine excepts packages from all delivery services and will hold or forward mail including repackaging and finding the cheapest shipping rate.
I've lived aboard in all the western states and all get two addresses, my po box and the address of my private dock in Oregon as a physical address. Oregon is a no sales tax state so my money goes 5-10% farther.

If you're going to be cruising, I would get a mailing address with someone use to forwarding to cruisers. I didn't assume you were cruising yet. But someone like St. Brendans and others. I would choose one that knows all the ins and outs rather than the most convenient local one.

One disadvantage to making a commercial mail box service your legal address. If you later want to change, you cannot get the post office to forward your mail. They won't forward from those locations so you may want to keep them up to a year after you change addresses.

Bay Pelican has been my legal address for 18 years. I use a commercial mail forwarding service in Chicago which gives me a street address for all purposes. When I am cruising I have the Chicago mail forwarding service forward the mail to St. Brendan's in Florida which will then scan the mail at my request.

The advantages of a scanning service are many including getting fairly quick notice when some government agency wants a reply within ten days.

Thanks for all the input.

My center consoles in SC generate an annual personal property tax bill (like cars and trucks). I'm trying to establish/confirm that a qualifying boat (45'ish trawler) qualifies as a residence and generates a real property bill ( as a home);and since I've made it my primary it also qualifies for the homestead discount.
If this is true, I was uncertain what I list as my legal address e.g on driver's license.

May be more straight forward than I imagine, but I haven't been in this position before.

We are not liveaboards yet, and have a "second" home close by to receive mail at.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.

My center consoles in SC generate an annual personal property tax bill (like cars and trucks). I'm trying to establish/confirm that a qualifying boat (45'ish trawler) qualifies as a residence and generates a real property bill ( as a home);and since I've made it my primary it also qualifies for the homestead discount.
If this is true, I was uncertain what I list as my legal address e.g on driver's license.

May be more straight forward than I imagine, but I haven't been in this position before.

We are not liveaboards yet, and have a "second" home close by to receive mail at.

In SC, whether it's real property or personal property is not relevant to primary home. Your boat is personal property. However,

A boat or watercraft that meets certain statutory requirements (including having a toilet with exterior evacuation, sleeping quarters, and a cooking area with an onboard power source) may qualify as a primary or secondary residence. A motor home, boat, or trailer that is a primary residence qualifies for the 4% assessment ratio, and one that is a secondary residence qualifies for the 6% assessment ratio.​

It would also qualify for the homestead exemption if/when you're eligible.

Straight from the DOR:

https://dor.sc.gov/resources-site/l...entive for Economic Development Chapter 5.pdf

Last edited:
In SC, whether it's real property or personal property is not relevant to primary home. Your boat is personal property. However,

A boat or watercraft that meets certain statutory requirements (including having a toilet with exterior evacuation, sleeping quarters, and a cooking area with an onboard power source) may qualify as a primary or secondary residence. A motor home, boat, or trailer that is a primary residence qualifies for the 4% assessment ratio, and one that is a secondary residence qualifies for the 6% assessment ratio.

It would also qualify for the homestead exemption if/when you're eligible.

Straight from the DOR:

https://dor.sc.gov/resources-site/l...entive for Economic Development Chapter 5.pdf

This is the correct answer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom