Boat names that just have to be shared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New Riviera 54 named “Crime Pays”

With fond memories and credit to Lucy & Ricky: "Chicken of the Sea" is pretty funny!

There is a sailboat at a large lake in UT named "Knot-a-clew".

That should be a name for a powerboat as they do not have clews on them.

That should be a name for a powerboat as they do not have clews on them.

Ah, but at least we powerboaters have clues. :flowers:

The boat tied to the next finger is named 'Al-Ke II' Commercial long line vessel.

Loving some boat names

There are so many great traditional boat names, and so many clever but tasteful ones, too.

I saw one inside Manasquan Inlet, "True Love" that made want to consider "True Wuv", if you saw "The Princess Bride" movie. But, I couldn't see hailing at tugboat/barge captain asking if he would approve an overtake to starboard by "True Wuv".....

I stuck with my first choice, "Boatwright", named for the boat builders who create our vessels, and a family name descended from King William's (William the Conqueror) Norman Invasion in 1066 - the Batuvrais - pictured in two panels the Tapestry of Bayeux. These Vikings living in northwest France - "Normandy" - land of the Norse Men - built William's longships for his forces to allow William to take his rightful seat as King of England via the Battle of Hastings. William gave key members of his invasion force land grants in England for their service, including the "Batuvrais", which in Old English, "Bat Wyrtha" - Boat Wrights, and in England as surnames were often tied to professions, Boatwright became such a surname. John Boatwright of Fressingfield, born in 1603 is the first identified family member of a Boatwright family that emigrated to the New World in the mid 1600s, and my maternal grandmother, maiden surname Boatwright, born c. 1880, was the spiritual foundation of more recent families, a true Pioneer Woman, and a woman whose strong Christian character and wisdom I chose to honor in naming my son and in naming my trawler.

Incidentally, a Boatwright was chaplain to King Henry II and master of Christ College of Oxford University in 1445, likely not a relative, but his coat of arms showed three anchors on the shield and in some renditions a ship above the shield - beautifully nautical. Ample versions are easily researched on line, if you wish to see it.

So, while I tremendously enjoy clever nautical names (Cod-Father across the fairway in our marina is a favorite), True Wuv had to take a backseat to Boatwright on my Camano's stern.

Thanks for all who have shared truly clever/clean names as well as more traditional strong names among our favorite avocation! It's a subject that always entertains!

I've been following with interest....
I guess i'm just not very creative..... gotta admit I don't understand many of the boat names I've seen over the years.
I don't have a boat worthy of naming yet but I did want to come up with a name for our RV several years ago when we got it....it's still un-named.
If I ever do end up with a yacht, I hope it comes with a good name ;)

I guess I get it genetically...I'm reminded of the one namable boat my dad had when I was in high school pushing 40 years ago. He bought it named Carol Sea and just never bothered to rename it. Still have no idea who Carol was.

Many years ago I was out of work and bought a crappy catamaran with the most of the last of my money. My wife said “That’s a **** boat we won’t be able to have any tea” so I called it “Shi Boa” stir boat no t’s.

Have avoided putting any name or identifier on dinghies except numbers when required. When cruising (especially out of the country but in touristy places domestically as well) thieves walk the dinghy docks. When they see a named dinghy they match it up with the mothership. They use that to know which boat to break into and when. Similarly we don’t fancy up the dinghy and usually take the decals off the engine. Low profile and a heavy chain increases the odds it will be there when we return.

A clew is part of the sail so I can see the reference.

Oh I understand the "reference". But "Knot a Clew" would mean there are no clews on board....or at least that is the way I take it. Another boat name I posted earlier was "Clewless"...and it was on a powerboat. I think that is relevant. Anyway, maybe the people on the sailboat bought it without having a "clue" as to how to sail and went with it that way.

Both "Clewless" and "Knot a Clew" would be good names for sailboaters that are transitioning to powerboating. Again...just my opinion. And in the same vane, I came up with a boat name that did not make the cut called "Rhumb Dumb"...Obviously double entendre of a rhumb line that is important to sailing and not to powerboating. ANd also the double of something that happens when you drink too much rum!!

Last edited:
Hard to read but the centre console with the quad outboards has it's name in the hull:
"I Don't Care Too"

It is actually a tender to the sailing thing behind it "Infinity".

Attachments

• IMG_5645.jpg
    IMG_5645.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 42
I'm a long time lurker and this thread motivated me to register. Boat names can be problematic:

Our last boat was a lovely 41 ft ketch which we named "Swallow," mostly because at the time we were reading the "Swallows and Amazons" books to our kids, and they clamored for Swallow as the name of our new boat. Of course, the dinghy was named "Amazon."

But on a year long trip from Maine down to the Bahamas and back we began to have misgivings about the name. We'd pull up to a fuel dock and 20-something males would giggle and elbow each other and say, "Best name ever! 'Swallow,' get it?!" This sort of thing happened a lot. It got so bad that on the VHF we'd actually say, "Sailing vessel Swallow, LIKE THE BIRD!" My wife and I even jokingly (mostly) contemplated rubbing out a few letters and changing the name to "Shallow" or maybe "Shallom."

We never did change it, but a boat name takes a lot of thought.

...I'm reminded of the one nameable boat my dad had when I was in high school pushing 40 years ago. He bought it named Carol Sea and just never bothered to rename it. Still have no idea who Carol was.
? Pun/double entendre based on "The Coral Sea" in the Pacific.
But yes, who was Carol?

Best boat name ever — on a racing sailboat, Priapism. If you don’t know, look it up...

My boats name when originally commissioned back in 1988 was PATROT, then sold in 99 and renamed MERIDIAN, then again in 2012 to DOCTAIL and in 2020, after a year of ownership I decided to host a few close friends and we conducted the de-naming and re-naming ceremony and she is now once again flagged as PATRIOT. and my son's 19' sea ray in MINUTEMAN.

Here is a very expensive boat with a poor name choice.

Attachments

• IMG_2344.jpg
    IMG_2344.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 107
It is a very expensive boat I think built in Poland. I am not sure of the brand name.

My two favorites...

"Anything She Wants"

"Never Again III"

My first boat, back in the 70's,was "Fair Dinkum." Took me awhile to learn it's Ozzie-talk for "Good" or "Everything's OK."

Oldersalt

There's a boat in my marina called, "That's What She Said." Every time we walk by, my very young daughter asks me what it means. blergh.

I was watching a youtube video earlier.."sailing project atticus" Their new boat is atticus 2..... and it just sounds odd to my ear..... the two...or three
I think I would just call the new boat atticus just like the original if that's the name I wanted....
it's like the USS enterprise.... we're not on USS Enterprise VIII...or whatever the number is.

Is it somehow considered bad luck or something to use the same name?

Back
Top Bottom