Boat names that just have to be shared.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Names

Saw a sailboat named Passing Wind. Please don’t name your boat with any word play involving KNOT. It’s all been done ad nauseum. My recent fave from AGLCA forum is a pic of a Hong Kong ship with this name “ Titan Uranus”. And a Sunfish named BlowMe.

We have a houseboat/waterfront condo that we named "The Bad Decision" after it took more rehab than expected. Often, if you survive a bad decision, it makes a great story. We're working on that.

Boat named

I built a small boat for my son many years ago. Caller her the Isle View.

I did and still do.

Last edited:
Since my last name is Nay, it has often been suggested that I call the boat NAYDAY. Don't think so.

Just a few slips away here at the dock resides a bright red hulled boat called MORNING WOOD.

Wealth distribution is represented on a Lorenz curve, intelligence is represented on a Gaussian distribution.

Hence the bad names of expensive boats.

Which is also a reasonable answer to, "If you're so smart, why ain't you rich?"

Worst I saw was Q T (Pi symbol.. can't seem to type it here)

However, I was delivering a Grand Banks once that was owned by Phyllis and Richard last name started with a T...

Boat name was Phyl T Rich..

Terrible times on the VHF.

M

A guy named his boat “Ruthless” because his wife Ruth never came to the boat. Also my friends were partners in a boat, one is a dentist and the other is a gynecologist. I suggested they name the boat either “Open Wide” or “Both Ends”. They didn’t use my suggestions.

Wifey B: We don't think dignified vs. not so much as we think of the use of the name. It's used over the air on VHF . . .

Well, that reminds me of an otherwise good name, but for the fact that the owners failed to consider how it would sound over the radio. The story is that the boat was bought by three good friends, all members of the same YC where the highest class of membership is referred to as "Flag" membership. So they named their boat (and had it put on with a real fancy paint job) "Three Flags". Try saying that 3 times fast. All three of them were shocked by their joint mistake.

Coming from the construction world, one of my favorites is the big yacht named "Change Order" with the dingy named "Prime Contract."

I remember seeing a beautiful million-dollar sailboat years ago with the phrase "DON'T PANIC!!" written across the transom in big letters.

But it was written upside-down..

No matter what the name, I wish they were in an easy to read/understand font.

A guy named his boat “Ruthless” because his wife Ruth never came to the boat. Also my friends were partners in a boat, one is a dentist and the other is a gynecologist. I suggested they name the boat either “Open Wide” or “Both Ends”. They didn’t use my suggestions.

There is a couple here that are both doctors. They named their boar “Pair-a-Docs”. I thought that was pretty clever.

Saw a sailboat named Passing Wind. Please don’t name your boat with any word play involving KNOT. It’s all been done ad nauseum. My recent fave from AGLCA forum is a pic of a Hong Kong ship with this name “ Titan Uranus”. And a Sunfish named BlowMe.

as have "Serenity", "aquaholic" "Windsong" "Carpe Diem", "For Sail", "Amore", "Italian Stallion", "Irish Mist"....etc...every harbor seems to have a few of these and more

One of my favorites was on a beautiful Viking, "Sorry Kids". We named ours "No Fences". Something we see on the Gulf...NO Fences but at certain times of the year lots of crab buoys!

I saw a sailing dinghy with "If you can read this tip me over" upside down on the transom

My boat on purchase was called Shaken Not Stirred with a picture of a martini glass tipped onto its side spilling the liquor. Now days not a intelligent nor politically correct name. Changed to Steadfast. A solid name for a boat. And something I want in a boat.

My last boat was Steadfast too. I re-named her from Ve Ra. It was sold to Alaska so I kept the steadfast name for here on the west coast of Canada.

Ok, my turn. My first boat was originally named Wineaux with tilted martini glasses and bubbles. My second boat started out as AfterburnII . I asked the PO if he was a pilot. "No, my first boat burned to the waterline, this is my third."

Several of the odd names I have read here I have also read in my own marina. Shaken Knot Stirred with 007 as well. Etc. Etc.

I love boat names, the back pages of our logs are full of them. My favorite was a small pleasure craft called: Shell Fish Bass Turd. I imagine his wife named it when he brought it home!

A couple of years ago just after we purchased our boat we were searching for a new name. We both sing in our church choir and at practice, the choir director was frustrated with the choir - said "can't you see the word Adagio on your music - you know that means 'slow movement' " I looked at my wife and mouthed 'that's it'. Perfect for our slow (8mph cruise) boat. ADAGIO it is.

A musical friend has that one and his friend has Viagio. Unfortunately he leaves the transom door open when he’s aboard and it reads Viag and everyone mentally fills it in with an RA.

When changing a vessel's name, one thing to consider is how it will sound over the VHF, especially during an emergency. I heard a Coastguard operator ask for over 15 minutes how to spell 'Frangipani' - a common enough name in the tropics, but not above the 49th. As the boat was in distress at the time, the caller must have been getting pretty stressed about the protocol that required an accurate name to open a case file. They finally agreed on 'Franny Annie'! And then there are those Welsh names ...

One of my favorites was a dingy named "Original Contract" with the 75' boat named "Change Order". Anyone who worked for a government contractor would understand the irony in these names.

Our former boat was "Satisfaction" and our dinghy was named "Satis/fraction."

On the dinghy names topic, I've already picked out a name for a dinghy when we add one to the stable. Boat is named "Hour Glass", so the dinghy will likely become "Pint Glass".

Two of the best I've seen over many years:

'Higher Porpoise'

and

'Good Grief'

Back
Top Bottom