Boat name survey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I wonder if the two Frams anchors will fit on my boat? Wouldn't they just bang the hell out of the hull during stormy weather?

Last edited:
LeGeMar

LeGeMar is a combination of my wife's name, my name, and our dog's (each dog we've owned has to be named "Mar..." The syllables also kinda translate to Law of the Sea in Italian "Legge del Mare." I mention this, because you could play with your names or initials to come up with something fun and clever.

I like Twilight Tide. Easy to remember, easy to spell for the listener, not embarrassing or unclear at the seaman's bar or Yacht club and it evokes pleasant thoughts.

Our second choice was from the movie, Princess Bride: "True Wuv", as we were single at the time, engaged later on a Power Squadron Shakedown Cruise (at ages 68/66). But, I just didn't feel right about radioing a veteran tug Captain with a six barge tow, "Island Point tug, this is motor vessel True Wuv 400 yards aft calling for permission to overtake to Starboard".....

My choice for our trawler was "Boatwright", my maternal grandmother's maiden name, and a name of artisans essential to the vessels we love. It is represented nicely in the Tapestry of Bayeaux, documenting William the Conqueror's crossing English Channel to invade England in 1066. William rewarded his officials with land grants in southern England and that is where the name "Boatwright" first appears, likely his "Bat Wyrtha" and "Batvrais" in old English and Norman French. Normans- Norse Men, were Vikings who settled on the coast of what is now France. So, as one Poster noted, a family name can be a good choice, and in this case, a nautical name, and Boatwright also can be interpreted as "the Right Boat", which it is for us.

Kon teaky? Kon - "with" in spanish - Kon Teaky - with teak.....sort of makes sense, but I still like Twilight Tide - easing into a quiet cove at sunset - peaceful and romantic. What's not to like?

I Named my Boat "Odyssee"

A long and eventful or adventurous journey or experience

My favorite seen in North Carolina a few years ago: "Never Again II"

Name

A name should be relatively simple, easy to pronounce, easy to spell, and something someone else can read and pronounce easily. Not more than about three syllables. Think about using it on the VHF, or someone calling you. I needs to be clear. Say it three times, quickly. You may be in a hurry or under stress when you need it to be clear.

Perry Dukes
M/V VERO

I think you have more than enough naming suggestions. I would suggest however you decide on a “hailing port” and a “home port”.

Home port should be easy since it is where you most frequently keep or dock your boat. Of course you can change it as often as necessary.

Hailing port can be something rather exotic as long as it is a location within the United States, its Territories or Possessions. For example, Pago Pago, American Samoa.

I have been at sea now for 80 years, and never had problem with naming my boat. The first one was a 27 ft. Yawl Sea Bird, my father commissioned her built and named her ALFIN which means At-Last. I will be 90 in January and just bought my last boat ALFIN IV
Hope you get a good one

Fwiw

Guess it’s too late now, but would have suggested MUNIFICENT (“bountiful” in anglicised Latin) ...
and this is coming from someone christened Kai.

will always remember my neighbors 30 ft sailboat!

boat name was...HALLEUJAH, SKIFF WAS, AMEN!

I suggested the name, "Kon Teaky." I endorse "Teaki," instead.

Just tuned into this one and haven’t read the others. My vote:
Dragonfly
Mosquito Hawk
If those have already been mentioned, I second both.

I suggest no change.

I changed the name of my first boat, never again.
There is the physical things to be done, try putting everything with the boat name on it on deck, most of it will have to be thrown away.

Then there is the renaming ceremony in accordance with king Neptune’s mythology., very important to get right.
We haven’t even got to the documentation yet.
Don’t underestimate this task, if you can’t live with the name, consider buying a different boat?

The great British explorer/mariner Matthew Flinders who mapped a lot of Australia on his ship "HMS Investigator" was accompanied by his cat on the voyage and it was named "Trim" and I very nearly used that name because of its nautical alignment and ease of use over the radio etc.

Ease of use over the radio is important. Pick one that's easily understood, and has one obvious spelling. It may be important one day, that you are heard correctly over the radio.

One that logs on often (with Marine Rescue) that I like is a fishing boat called "Gobble De Hook"

Ouch! I like Con Teaki. (i) better than Con Teaky "y" too. To late.

What happens if you name your boat one thing with the coast guard, and put a different name on your boat? It's your boat, can't you decorate it how you want?

Say if it's named as mine, Con Teaky. And I put Con Teaki on it instead?

Where do I have to put the name? Can I place Con Teaky on the back and Con Teaki on the sides?

What do I have to do, and what can I do?

Will they ever notice a miss spelling "i" instead of "y"? Maybe make the "y" look like an "i". I see all kinds of funky font on boats, some you can't even read??

Suggestions here please???

Bummer.

Last edited:
Ducati, I meant "Kon Teaki," not Con Teaki. Sorry I gave wrong impression. However, if "Con" is what you want, so be it.

You are right. IGNOR MY POST ABOVE HERE'S A RE EDIT.

Ouch! I like Kon Teaki. (i) better than Kon Teaky "y" too. To late.

What happens if you name your boat one thing with the coast guard, and put a different name on your boat? It's your boat, can't you decorate it how you want?

Say if it's named as mine, Kon Teaky. And I put Kon Teaki on it instead?

Where do I have to put the name? Can I place kon Teaky on the back and Kon Teaki on the sides?

What do I have to do, and what can I do?

Will they ever notice a miss spelling "i" instead of "y"? Maybe make the "y" look like an "i". I see all kinds of funky font on boats, some you can't even read??

Suggestions here please???

Bummer

We named our boat Assisted Living last year before the Covid crisis. Now it fits even better we think. When we discussed names we had some criteria; we didn't want a name we would have to explain over and over to dock walkers (ie latin words, literature, etc.), we wanted it to fit the boat and style of our cruising and most of all we wanted something that we could say easily over and over to Bridge tenders, Marina operators and lock masters. We also used a type font that was whimsical so we didn't offend anyone... Good luck and don't forget to do the renaming ritual to Poseidon when you finally do it!

I believe you can look up the exact rules spelled out. I would follow them or officially change the name.

(I have state reg at the moment, not US documented, but the rules are very clearly spelled out and illustrated.)

I would not consider it "decorating." That's like the difference between a pin stripe on your car (decorating) or moving your license plate or adding a brake light to the hood (not decorating).

Boat Name idea

Speaking as someone who finally got the lettering on the transom just yesterday, I would say take a photo without the name, then do the vinyl sign websites, there are a lot of them. Do all the names, then grab the image and pull it down on your photo of the transom, then you can see what they look like.

Personally I'd go with something semi- pronounceable on the first try, something that you don't have to spell every time you say it. My last name is 12 letters and its a pain - especially when I lose track in the middle and have to start over.
Katherine V as in Victor

And if you find the vinyl sign websites too "restrictive" for your creativity, you can use Microsoft PowerPoint, where you can let your creativity flow.

I'm not drastically changing my boats name.

This past week i gave the title company my name Kon Teaky. I now like Kon Teaki (i).

Where do I have to put the name? Can I place kon Teaky on the back and Kon Teaki on the sides?

Will they ever notice a miss spelling "i" instead of "y"?
Maybe make the "y" look like an "i". I see all kinds of funky font on boats, some you can't even read??

We're just talking one letter here or will I go to boater etiquette hell and be an outcast at all the marina's? Will I be forced to walk the plank if the coast guard pulls me over?

Put a dot over the top of the right side of the ”y” ??
That would probably start a lot of interesting conversations at layover ports ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom