Old 10-18-2020, 11:19 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
"Slow Hand " is a song first done by the Pointer Sisters. It spoke to me about being tired of "fast moves" and traveling at a slower more comfortable pace.

My new to me dinghy (Trinka 10) will likely be "End of The Line" by the "Traveling Wilburys". Lots of symbolism for traveling to the remote areas in skinny water and twilight of a long boating career.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
When we were looking at boats we usually had several on the table at any one time. As we talked about them some were just the blue boat or the conversion (as in fishboat conversion) but most had some sort of an indentfier so we could talk about them w/o having to describe the boat.

We talked about Willy a lot and got there from the brand name Willard. I (or she) shortened it up once to Willy .. it was a natural. And so it was that we referred to her as Willy.

After the purchase we were still calling her Willy. We started feeling silly calling a boat by a man’s name. Previous names were Buddy, Pendragon and three other names we both thought were bad to terrible. For months we called our new to us boat Willy.

I’ve always thought a boats name should bring to the fore some part of her essence that set her apart from other boats. Built an OB cruiser named “Easy Rider” because the hull was designed (by me) to be easy riding. I loved the deep V hull but it required a lot of weight (for a planing hull) .. that and the steep deadrise made them very inefficient. So I set out to design a boat that was easy riding but efficient as well.

The naming came just after the movie Easy Rider so everyone thought the boat name was because of the movie. But I did name her Easy Rider before the movie came out.

The boat was a success but needed to be light to very light for good performance. So there was never another one built but I feel I named her right. The boat name was about the boat .... as it should be IMO.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #43
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
A shade of blue? (or a sad animal doctor?)
Nope 2 tries left lol

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #44
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Alzero: an Italian wine made by Giuseppe Quinterelli in Negrar just outside of Verona. It is also an Italian phrase translated as “Get Up!”. We don’t know why Bepe named his best wine that, but it has a nice ring to it.

It is also an antihistamine and I hope Big Pharma paid the family a ton of money to use their name!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 01:29 PM   #45
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Beach Music is a book written by the late Pat Conroy. He wrote The Prince of Tides and The Great Santini, among many others. Beach Music doesn't refer to actual music, but the sounds you hear when walking on the beach. Waves, birds, wind, sea creatures, you get the drift (pun). It was also one of my mothers favorite books.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:47 PM   #46
Guru

City: Here
DIRT FREE ... we live free of the dirt
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:11 PM   #47

City: Henderson, NV
Vessel Name: HI-HO
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 462 (my fantasy)
I don't have a boat, but if I did, I'd name her, "Just Right." Fitting, due to much research, trial & error of different boats, etc.
ddw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #48
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I prefer a name that is not a mind puzzle for anybody reading it and easy to say on the VHF. Calypso was so named when new in 1972 and remained so when I bought it in 1986. It is for sale now by the current owner and still named the same.

Being just a play-in-the-bay boat named Stray Dog when I bought it, I gave consideration to no name at all once I removed the old name. A really good name (Ruby Cruiser) was suggested by my sister-in-law, and Splash was also considered, but Frolic, after the Naval Academy's Ludders Frolic-class yawls won out. So now we go for frolicking rather than boat riding.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:34 PM   #49
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
HUNAKAI, Hawaiian meaning smallsea and/or seaspray among other meanings was the name before it became Soo Valley. A previous owner some 20+ years ago named her thus.

The Soo River flows through the Soo Valley
The Soo River is a tributary of the Green River in the Pacific Ranges of the Coast Mountains in British Columbia, Canada, joining that river just north of the Resort Municipality of Whistler. Approximately 35 kilometres long, it begins on the south flank of the Pemberton Icefield. It is a pristine wilderness that we know well having gone through that countryside many times.
I do not know why the name was chosen, I had thought of changing it just because and then the name grew on us so it will remain.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #50
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Seeadler is named for the last sailing warship. I know, might have looked better on a sailing vessel, but ...

In 1916, Korvettenkapitan Felix Graf von Luckner comissioned an interned American barque called Pass of Balmaha as the Seeadler and went to war on Great Britain and France. Luckner became known as the Kaiser's Pirate." In one year, he sank 19 ships without a single fatality. In the inter-war years, he was an international celebrity. Lowell Thomas wrote a hugely successful biography which I read in middle school kindling an enduring love of the sea and nautical literature.

If you have ever toured Balclutha at the San Francisco Maritime National Park, you have seen Seeadler; near identical...except for the guns, of course.
Attached Thumbnails
SMSSeeadlerFront.jpg  
Attached Images

AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:03 PM   #51
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I envision you have a matching uniform.

And if you do, I hope you don't fall overboard. That's a chest full of medals.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:24 PM   #52

City: Long Valley
Vessel Name: No Worries
Vessel Model: Beneteau ST44
No Worries....because when we are on the boat, all worries seem to disappear.
4fun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #53
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
If this is Seeadler's wheel at the helm, I'm seriously jealous.
Attached Thumbnails
Rawson Wheel.jpg  
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #54
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach FL, Madeline Island, WI
Vessel Name: Winterlude
Vessel Model: 2005 Hampton 558
WINTERLUDE

It was the boat's name when we bought it and we really liked it. Our old boats name, that we cleverly picked, never got any traction so we were not going to reuse that one.

The good thing is we have never encountered another boat with the same name and the other good, really good, thing is that the prior owner was a wonderfully nice guy and well known in the Bahamas so we have met a lot of very nice people that came looking for him when they saw our boat and name.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200429_153533.jpg  
RLKramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post

How'd you do that??!!
Old 10-18-2020, 07:42 PM   #56

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Wife and I could NOT agree on a name and proclaimed that naming a boat was an f'in conundrum. In fact all things boat related are a a conundrum. Named the boat Conundrum!
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
I envision you have a matching uniform.

Well, I am entitled to wear the Good Conduct Medal and the American Defense Medal on my AG-44s, but the 31" waistline is gone forever.

Pfc W.T. Butler
9th Cavalry Alumni Assn.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #58
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Grab your check book

https://www.southshoreboatworks.com/...-ship-s-wheels
Old 10-18-2020, 07:59 PM   #59
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
In 1985 we bought our first “Dreamers Holiday”. Willie Nelson had just released his version of the classic song. We listened to it and thought it would be a great name for a boat. We’re on our third Dreamers Holiday.
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Seeadler is named for the last sailing warship. I know, might have looked better on a sailing vessel, but ...

In 1916, Korvettenkapitan Felix Graf von Luckner comissioned an interned American barque called Pass of Balmaha as the Seeadler and went to war on Great Britain and France. Luckner became known as the Kaiser's Pirate." In one year, he sank 19 ships without a single fatality. In the inter-war years, he was an international celebrity. Lowell Thomas wrote a hugely successful biography which I read in middle school kindling an enduring love of the sea and nautical literature.

If you have ever toured Balclutha at the San Francisco Maritime National Park, you have seen Seeadler; near identical...except for the guns, of course.
After assembling a model of the Seeadler, I convinced my Dad to name his new 28-foot sailboat Seeadler, which we raced extensively in the 1960s.