Boat Name - Reason for yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• Revell H-331-300 Seeadler.JPG
    Revell H-331-300 Seeadler.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 42
I do believe there have been a few threads already on this, but with so many new members, certainly no harm in going again!

Boat name is SONAS. ...

I try to restrain myself to responding until the subject is brought up a second time subsequently if having responded to a previous thread.

The plastic model was all white. :blush:

The original had a large crew, and over the year of her active life, Seeadler was often painted. Here she is disguised as a neutral Norwegian lumber carrier while running the British North Sea blockade. Very effective; they were stopped and searched and passed muster.

Attachments

• norge.jpg
    norge.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 38
Well, I am entitled to wear the Good Conduct Medal and the American Defense Medal on my AG-44s, but the 31" waistline is gone forever.

Pfc W.T. Butler
9th Cavalry Alumni Assn.

...and the Expert Rifleman Badge

There are so many scam boat listings on the 'net that once anybody lists a boat for sale, the listing will often get copied or re-posted elsewhere for years to come -

Amazing. What's the point? Surely no one sends them money...do they?

[FONT=&quot]The name WESTERLY is a traditional name of fishing and sailing vessels on the West Coast.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For the present owner, the name comes from his towing experience in the Strait of Juan de Fuca where certain towing operations (such as log tows) depended on calm conditions. Tug crews were always vigilant in the need to watch for the dark streak on the horizon that foretold the coming of the westerly winds in the Strait.[/FONT]

Starlite is the original name of the vessel, chosen by the original owner, I'm #2. I have no input from him on where it came from or why. I kept it for a couple of reasons.

First, I love a scientific mystery. Turns out "Starlite" is the name of a very mysterious coating material which can withstand extreme temperatures. No explanation of how it works or why it has never been marketed.

Second, I had an opportunity to observe natural "star light" from a relatively high altitude one winter night and found it the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I hope one day we will travel thru space with the same freedom and ease as we travel the seas today. A little voice is telling me there is a connection between Starlite (the coating) and practical space travel -so for good luck, it stays.

My boat is named “Spinner,” and it’s my third boat with that name!
The name comes from the fact that I love cycling, and that I am a spinner of wool on a spinning wheel. There are also Spinner Dolphins, but that’s just a nice coincidence.

Yes, I keep a spinning wheel onboard and sometimes also a bike :)

[FONT=&quot]...Tug crews were always vigilant in the need to watch for the dark streak on the horizon that foretold the coming of the westerly winds in the Strait.[/FONT]

We learned to watch for those dark lines moving towards us as sea kayakers. Makes sense that tug crews would have to keep a sharp eye out for approaching weather, as they would have to plan ahead like a kayaker because both move so slow.

The really dark bands with a wall of dark cloud rising above it and white caps at the base are the ones to really watch for :eek:

"Pelago" was the name of one of the boats from my youth, a Rhodes Reliant ketch. From Latin and Italian it means "deep sea" or in a figurative sense "overwhelming passion", so for me it symbolizes my passion for the sea.:rolleyes:

Northwest Dream. Her name came about as a combination of thoughts that initially didn't seem like a proper name at all, but quickly gelled for the Admiral and I . We had started thinking about boat names once we had decided to take the plunge and buy a trawler. 1st, a trawler had long been a dream of ours. 2nd, we're from the northwest (to the point that when we once moved away to Colorado, it took us two months to realize we needed to move back "home"), and one of our goals/dreams is to spend the next years/decades of our lives cruising the northwest passage. 3rd, we wanted to find a boat name that we felt was unique to us and easy to say and understand on the radio.

I've since found that I refer to her affectionately as NWD in the short form, as well :smitten:

Kallisto is named after a Greek Goddess. Her name, Kalliste, means “most beautiful”. A muse of Zeus’, he transformed her into a bear and thrust her into the night sky. She is now known as Ursa Major, represented by the Big Dipper constellation. The Big Dipper points to a sailor’s most valued navigational star…The North Star.

A thing to remember when naming a new vessel or renaming an older one, is how will the Coast Guard handle it? I listened to a 15 minute emergency call where the CCG insisted on getting the name right before proceeding with the report, and the vessel's name was 'Frangipani'. A common enough name (I thought) - a tropical tree with a heady aroma - but CCG couldn't get it. Finally, after quarter of an hour of rising desperation both parties agreed on 'Franny Annie'! Can't imagine what the delay would have been if the boat had been called 'Rhosllannerchrugog' (Welsh) or 'Onverskrokke' (Afrikaans) I don't know.

Keep it simple, and keep it easy to hear.

Moonstruck means you are deranged with love or just deranged. I have loved all types of water craft since I was a child for some unexplainable reason. I built ship models, worked on several boats, restored boats and attended too many boat shows to count. (This year will be my 36th trip to FLIBS if I attend.) I have owned several boats since I was a child. Thank you Dad for indulging me when I wanted that first skiff! He knew that messing around with boats would keep me out of trouble. A previous boat was Moonlighting. The names are a play on my last name. The next name is already picked out. I just need to find the right boat to replace Moonstruck.

Ours is called Se la Vi, a Spanish, somewhat naughty, word play on the French C'est la Vie. We are often reminded by others that we misspelled the name. My wife is Latina and just laughs it off and those who understand Spanish get a chuckle out of it.

I dont care what you name your boat but be considerate of the draw bridge operator.
You may end of trying to spell the name. In some parts of the world, the bridge operator must keep a log of boats passing through.
Here in FL, some boats have be stolen, they try to make it out into the ocean. HA HA The thieve might make it at the first bridge but, they sure wont make it to the ocean.

Phoenix Hunter, after my granddaughter Phoenix and grandson Hunter. I was reluctant at first (my wife’s idea), but it’s grown on me and now I’m quite fond of it. I think it’s a strong name and it is easily understood on the radio.

Jim

the admiral

35 years ago we sat at a table (wifie, friend and I), contemplating the naming of our contemplated vessel (not yet decided). without a pause wifie (later the Admiral) blurted out "Crew's Inn"................and so it was for 30 years............3 happy years with partner and 27 happy (but twice as costly) with only Wifle. 24 years in she quit the Teak Team and so the selling thought developed RIP (vessel)

Ours is Betty Lou. We lost my wife’s mother Betty 15 years ago and my mother Louise 5 years ago right after we bought the boat. My father always called her Lou. It seemed a fitting name in memorial. Everyone in our extended families love it.

Halcyon, in greek mythology a bird that would calm the seas. As it turned out, a fairly common boat name.

My previous boat was named Triple Trouble, after our three kids.

Before that we had one named "Irrational", which my wife thought was a very appropriate name for a boat given about of money and time they absorb ...

Oma. Grandmother in German. Think of a kindly older German, slightly stout, woman. Now look at a KK Manatee. Not a svelte younger woman with striking lines but more like an Oma, that will protect you through anything. Kindly, but demanding of order. Plus we both had strong Grandmothers.

I had seen a picture of a large SeaRay with a Dingy mounted prominately on stern.

Dingy Name: Prime Contract
Large Searay: Change Order

Thought it amusing!!

Kuleana Kai - Meaning "Small piece of property on the sea"

35 years ago we sat at a table (wifie, friend and I), contemplating the naming of our contemplated vessel (not yet decided). without a pause wifie (later the Admiral) blurted out "Crew's Inn"................and so it was for 30 years............3 happy years with partner and 27 happy (but twice as costly) with only Wifle. 24 years in she quit the Teak Team and so the selling thought developed RIP (vessel)

She discovered the make boats without exterior teak?

My wooden GB is named "True Love", it was a previous name that fit for us. My wife named the dinghy "just a fling". If I buy another big boat I like "Aftica", abbreviation for, another effin toy I can't afford!

Carolyn was my wife's mother, Ann was my mother's name. So our boats have been named after our mother's who took such good care of us, protected us, nourished and carried us. It is a tribute to our mothers easy to say and pronounce. It was interesting that often while on the Western Rivers with our very early adopted AIS "B" many tows would raise us before we raised them and would ask "Carolyn Ann", what are ya pushing? I guess it is common to name a commercial vessel after a woman/women and they had seldom seen a pleasure boat with an AIS transponder. While flattering, I would tell them nothing we were just a rec/pleasure boat squawking with AIS to stay out of their way. They always said that they liked that ... and then started a conversation on a side channel.

My boat was named "Vagrant" when I bought her, and I didn't like the name, so thought of what would be more appropriate and appealing. I thought about some combination of my kids' names (none of them pronounceable) and various esoteric literary references, and the funny plays on words ("Knot Home"), and ways I intended to use the boat ("Girls' Night Out" was a contender in this category). I finally decided that I love the sea, and I love line dancing, so "Sea Dancer" won out -- meaningful to me, easy to understand on the radio, maybe not too obnoxious for the next owner.

Back
Top Bottom