Boat Name Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arch

I have purchased a Marine Trader that I want to rename after my daughters, Kate and Jen.
KaJen seems a fine name as I sit here in southern California.

However this boat will travel the Mississippi/Tennessee rivers, the gulf coast, Great Lakes, and the east coast over the next two years.

So, here's the question: as I talk to other boats and marinas over the radio, i will likely sound like I am saying Cajun. Is this going to cause any problems, misunderstandings, or offense to anyone?

I have no experience traveling in the southern states and don't want my first impression to be anything less than positive. I would really appreciate your opinions and thoughts,
Arch

I have purchased a Marine Trader that I want to rename after my daughters, Kate and Jen.
KaJen seems a fine name as I sit here in southern California.

However this boat will travel the Mississippi/Tennessee rivers, the gulf coast, Great Lakes, and the east coast over the next two years.

So, here's the question: as I talk to other boats and marinas over the radio, i will likely sound like I am saying Cajun. Is this going to cause any problems, misunderstandings, or offense to anyone?

I have no experience traveling in the southern states and don't want my first impression to be anything less than positive. I would really appreciate your opinions and thoughts,
Arch

KaJan sounds just fine. Please come to see us at Chattanooga on the Mighty Tennessee River. Congrats on the boat purchase.

Good to see you are carrying on the fine tradition of naming boats after women or virtues.

What's the old Cajun chef's name he always said
"I Guarantee"

You may get asked how to cook crawfish. other than that.
We're all just boat folk.

I love the name.

Sd

Try "KaJen Girls". Even if they think it's "Cajun Girls", it'll sorta get the message across, .. that's it's named after ladies you're fond of, and willing to name a boat after.

That's him. Man was his show a hoot.

I loved it.

Sd

He always cooked with wine, and he often put it in the food.

Welcome Arch.. Just a thought, about SS KaJen.. the SS can stand for Sweet Sisters

Elwin

No one down here has any problem with Cajun. It is used all the time, cajun cooking cajun country, cajun heritage, etc, etc, by cajuns and non cajuns alike.
It is a version of "Acadien" the folks from Acadia who were expelled from Canada by the British in 1755.
You will have to clarify the spelling since, as you say most will hear and think of Cajun.
Cajuns are also known as "Coonasses" no problem there either.
Steve W

Arch,
We live on the waters that you intend to cruise. Lots of bridges, lots. You will be spelling that name every time.
Something to consider. Other areas of the country, west coast for instance, not nearly the number of bridge contacts. The ICW, both of them but particularly, one is in virtually constant radio contact with commercial boats.

CCC

I doubt it. And any person that it might offend will most likely be offended by the fact you even have a boat, so don't worry about it. It's been my impression that Cajuns are proud of their heritage so I would be surprised if they would take offense at a boat being named for their culture.

Charles brought up a good point, and that is that whatever your boat name is, it should be easy to say and easy to understand when heard on the crappy quality of a VHF radio. Cajun or KayJan or however you want to spell it should fill that bill.

If the bridge tenders on the ICW and rivers need the exact spelling of your boat's name you're going to be spelling it almost every time anyway unless your boat is named Cat or Dog or Boat or some other such simple name.:) The harbormasters and commercial vessel captains and such that we call from time to time all get the pronunciation of our boat's name right the first time but I daresay none of them have a clue how to spell it.

Last edited:
My boats the cajun rose, I don't think I offend cajuns or roses. When you get to the MS gulf coast buzz me and we can raft up.

A few iterations:

KayJay (As opposed to just the initials KJ)
Katie J.

Try "KaJen Girls". Even if they think it's "Cajun Girls", it'll sorta get the message across, .. that's it's named after ladies you're fond of, and willing to name a boat after.

Kajen girls may lead people to other thoughts. KaJen is very good just buy itself.....maybe Miss KaJen or Ms KaJen?

naming boats is a tough job. Good luck

Best wishes
B

When you name your boat make good and sure you follow these perocedures. Failure to do so will bring bad ju ju down upon you.........

Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com

thats scary......lawful endeavors??? Where does on find a set of law books from the winds and sea? How would we know if by p-in over the railing one wouldnt invoke the wrath of the Gods?....geezzzz.....

wonder if following these instructions will result in the angering of other Gods?....if so i guess we will have to endure even more grape juice?:)

Grape juice won't do it. Something alcoholic is required.

img_113938_0_9765d43884df2060cd2777cc66319a40.jpg

Grape juice won't do it. Something alcoholic is required.

I'm gonna do it when i get me next boat for sure. And, just to be sure i will make sure lots of fermented grape juice will flow! Under no circumstances do i wish to have any Gods mad at me.

You non-believers are doomed I tell you DOOMED!:D

The name-changing celebratory offerings we used when we changed the name of our boat were provided by Makita and whoever made the hair dryer we used to remove the vinyl letters on the sides of the flying bridge. The Makita was used to sand the painted name off the teak transom boards.

Regarding thinking through names...

In the mid-70s, I wanted to name a boat "Star" - but in a language other than English. Being from the Southwest, Spanish was my preference. However, Estrella is too often mispronounced by non-Spanish speakers. My late wife spoke German, so I asked her. The German word for star is “stern”… I could just see people seeing that on the transom and walking forward to see what I had painted up there… We finally settled on something else.

Three of the best boat names I've seen to date. Lobsterboats on Prince Edward Island.

Attachments

• Don't Panic.jpg
    Don't Panic.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 96
  • Don't Panic Yet.jpg
    Don't Panic Yet.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 98
  • Name1.jpg
    Name1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 81
as long is it isn't a sailboat name that's completely incomprehensible, like "OteOteOa":banghead:

Back
Top Bottom