Old 04-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Coppercoat Bottom Job

As I know many here are contemplating or planning their annual or semi-annual bottom jobs, I wanted to let you know we just had Coppercoat applied to our Cheoy Lee 46 LRC. Of course, we made a video of the project! I first became aware of Coppercoat about four years ago at the Annapolis Boat Show. The information and testimonials got me hooked. I did more research recently, and we finally decided to go for it as it's the best product available - even though it's expensive. But we are fully confident that we won't have to do another bottom job for as long as we own the boat. And I hope to have her until my soon-to-be three-year old daughter leaves for college...

I figured others might appreciate knowing more about it (and no, we don't get any commission or money if you decide to use it, too!):
Attached Files
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
As I get 3 yrs from micron xtra, I guess it'll be 4-5yrs before it will be possible to tell how it's going.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I get an add from a car dealer when I click on the link.

Every now and then someone comes up with the greatest product of its kind known to man. There's a bottom paint that uses no copper but uses some kind of enzymes to repel bottom growth. They claim it works like the skin of a fish and their add states "Ever see a fish with barnacles?"

Through it all, two major players in the bottom paint business continue their sucess with conventional hard and ablative paints. And of course, the EPA and various state governments pass laws and regulations banning the most effective products.

I probably have a year or two left on my bottom paint so I'll just see if things have changed when it comes time to repaint mine.

Let us know in a couple years how this product is working for you.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
More info on Coppercoat. Sure ain't cheap! If you are going to keep a boat a long time, it might make sense.

Coppercoat: A Worthy Alternative to Bottom Paint - Features, Boat Reviews and Boat Tests - Boats.com
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Every now and then someone comes up with the greatest product of its kind known to man. ...

Let us know in a couple years how this product is working for you.
Yes, we will be updating the performance of the product for as long as we own the boat. However, keep in mind Coppercoat isn't new. It's just fairly new to the US. It was developed in the late '80s and started being used in the early '90s.

I completely understand people being skeptical (can you imagine what this forum would have been like when that new fangled FIBERGLASS was being introduced as a boat material?? "Looks like frozen snot" was L. Francis Herreshoff's first reaction...). But if boats are showing no signs of needing a new bottom after 15-20 years, I think that's pretty compelling evidence. And more than 40,000 boats is a decent sample.

And ARoss you're right. Since we plan on keeping our boat a long time, it made sense.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
In the Galveston Bay area, I get 4-5 years out of a bottom job with Petit Trinidad SR.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Moonfish,
It has been over a year. Any updates. I am thinking of using coppercoat and would appreciate any info you have.

Thanks

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I suspect this product will be illegal in some states eventually and it may already be illegal in WA, which I believe has recently passed a law banning copper antifoulant paint on recreational boats.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I suspect this product will be illegal in some states eventually and it may already be illegal in WA, which I believe has recently passed a law banning copper antifoulant paint on recreational boats.

the ban doesn't take effect for some time.. copper paint is still available

HOLLYWOOD

The Washington State Senate and House of Representatives have agreed on amendments to S. 5436 and have sent the legislation on to the Governor for signature. Under the legislation passed by both chambers it will be prohibited to:
  • Sell a new recreational boat with antifouling paint containing copper after January 1, 2018
  • Offer for sale antifouling paint that is intended for use on a recreational water vessel that contains more than 0.5 percent copper after January 1, 2020
  • Apply antifouling paint containing more than 0.5 percent copper to a recreational water vessel in the state.
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
Guru

I am not an expert by any means, but Coppercart is not a paint. The copper does not leach from the boat as it does when it is mixed with paint. It is suspended in epoxy. It would therefore not fall under this law.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
the ban doesn't take effect for some time.. copper paint is still available

HOLLYWOOD

The Washington State Senate and House of Representatives have agreed on amendments to S. 5436 and have sent the legislation on to the Governor for signature. Under the legislation passed by both chambers it will be prohibited to:
  • Sell a new recreational boat with antifouling paint containing copper after January 1, 2018
  • Offer for sale antifouling paint that is intended for use on a recreational water vessel that contains more than 0.5 percent copper after January 1, 2020
  • Apply antifouling paint containing more than 0.5 percent copper to a recreational water vessel in the state.

The Eagle is being pulled the first week in August. I pull the boat every three years weather is needs it of not, and have the hull survey for insurance purposes.

For 19 years been applying Pettit Trinidad with a high copper content. 90% of the growth can be pressure wash off. Trinidad is also a epoxy hard drying so it sort of is a barrier coat. Each time the hull is sanded and prep before the coat is applied. Its about $250.00/gallon. But The Eagle is a Dock Queen so she is worth it.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I am not an expert by any means, but Coppercart is not a paint. The copper does not leach from the boat as it does when it is mixed with paint. It is suspended in epoxy. It would therefore not fall under this law.
I wouldn't want to try using that defense in an administrative hearing or a court of law....but feel free to give it a try.

I also see that they call it non-leaching that might help...but your gambling that all involved will understand all that and just the legal bill may cost more than many bottom jobs.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
Moonfish,
It has been over a year. Any updates. I am thinking of using coppercoat and would appreciate any info you have.

Thanks
Hi Mike and Sharon -

Good timing on your question! We just hauled the boat about a month ago (we were hit in our slip for the second time in two years and had to be hauled again for repairs...). The project manager at Townsend Bay Marine in Port Townsend was very impressed with the bottom after almost a year and a half. He said the pressure wash was super easy and quick, and there were absolutely no signs of barnacles or other growth on the entire hull.

We did have one issue though, and that was our stainless rudders and prop struts. Those were epoxy barrier coated prior to applying Coppercoat (with an approved epoxy). However, not enough time elapsed to fully cure the barrier coat. Coppercoat recommends a minimum of 72 hours, but the rudders and struts only had about 44 hours. Most of those surfaces were actually ok, but where there was any latent off-gassing, the Coppercoat had lifted in splotches. Lesson learned: Always ensure a barrier coat under the Coppercoat has had enough time to fully cure.

As far as the legality of Coppercoat - especially in my state of WA where the ban on copper PAINT goes in effect starting in 2017 - well, you will hear many opinions. Some informed, some otherwise. As Hollywood already pointed out, in WA the ban starts with NEW boats, in that you cannot SELL a NEW boat after 2017 with copper bottom paint. After 2020, you cannot SELL copper bottom paint. Period. Boats with copper bottoms will NOT have to be hauled and stripped, but are grandfathered in.

The other main "selling" point of Coppercoat vs. bottom paints in this debate (besides its an epoxy coating that will last 10-20 years), is Coppercoat is made with 99.6% pure, atomized copper and is essentially non-leaching. It is NOT cuprous oxide, which is what bottom paints primarily use. Copper is a natural biocide and is even used by hospitals as such. I'm obviously no scientist, but a phone call to Jim Edwards at Coppercoat USA will give you actual facts. Yes, of course he reps the product in the US and Canada, but he will give you real information. I've seen him roll his eyes often enough at the constant barrage of oftentimes baseless objections and even myths...

Lastly, we did shoot video of the boat as it was being hauled and pressure washed. As soon as we get through this current deadline for Cruising Outpost magazine I'll get that video posted to our site and YouTube so anyone can see for themselves how the Coppercoat performed over the last 16 months.

Hope this helps!

- Darren
Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
Guru

Moonfish,

Thanks for the update. We will be hauling out in a month or so and I think this is the way we will go.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Sounds like another senseless, un enforceable law that will only apply to new boat dealers. Any DIY boat yard with your contractor will smear on what you provide. While I agree we need to keep an eye on "green" it seems the multitudes are an easy target for feel good green legislation. All the while we see real devastation taking place in the name of profits backed up by lobbyist while recreation boaters are regulated with rules often based on junk science.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote