Boat Loading

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Savvy

Vessel Name
Woodstar
Vessel Make
Present 38
Is the loading of a boat in regard to distance from the Center of Gravity (Arm) and the weight forward or aft critical to the flotation characteristics of a boat as it is with an Aircraft? Is it possible to put to much weight (Provisions) in the fore cabin storage areas? :hide:
Regards to All...

it should not bean abrupt loss of controllability but a gradual loss that initially starts as a very undesirable steering characteristic.

you will feel the onset as hard to steer but probably not dangerous unless n large breaking seas.

I agree with psneeld...too much weight fwd can cause a loss in steering responsiveness and a tendency to plow or bury into head seas. I imagine a key cause of that might be too much chain on a bow and a plowing bow on boats with less flotation than others.

The other day as I was walking around my boat before driving home from a 4 day boat trip, I looked at the boot stripe and noticed my stern is riding a bit higher than normal. Normally she sits and runs very level. Since I've got less than half fuel and about 3/4 water, it's showing at rest. Not a big deal though....just an observation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom