Old 02-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
I didn't realize that. Where is the nearest fuel?
There used to be a very convenient fuel dock at Pt. Defiance (although a bit of a tight squeeze) but the marina there went bankrupt and so stop selling fuel. Since then (a few years now) I have been getting fuel when I am going by a convenient marina. The closest fuel is South at Narrows marina.

From the GH entrance approximate distances are...

Narrows Marina, 5.4 nm (south of the Narrows Bridge on the east shore by Day Island.)

Tacoma Fuel Dock 7.3 nm (East side of Thea Foss Waterway in Tacoma, generally the best fuel prices around and they donate a share to the Sea Scouts. Discount for over 100 gal I believe as well as discount to TYC members.)

Des Moines Marina 11.3 nm (on the east side of East Passage across from Pt. Robinson on Vashon Island.)

I have also bought fuel at Zittels Marina in the South Sound and in Poulsbo. Kingston can be a convenient fuel stop but they do get busy. Beyond that, I haven't had to buy that much fuel for Kinship yet.

On my sailboat, I would top off the 34 gal fuel tank once a year and call it good.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
In post #3 the OP said assume steel pilings in good shape.

If driven in normally, in my experience that would hold a vessel of considerable size and weight.

Once one goes to the trouble and expense of steel pilings, usually smaller vessels were not the target audience.

I am starting to wonder though why someone would go to the trouble and expense unless necessary for the bottom or just didn't want to waste money on a lot of needless dock but did expect a larger vessel.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #23
Guru

City: Vermont
I agree with others that it's about the strength of the dock and piers more than the length of the dock.

That said, it's reasonable to expect a 60' dock to support a 60' boat, and a 40' dock to support a 40' boat. But I think I'd want to confirm the ability of a 40' dock to hold a 60' boat is unsettle weather.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I agree getting an engineer to check it out, but if the dock shown is similar to the one you're looking at, I doubt there would be an issue. I see at least 5 steel pilings shown that look to be about the same size as the telephone pole size pilings holding up the walkway. The dock shown is 90' long. I've been at marinas that had fewer pilings on 300' docks.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
It wouldn't take much to sink an extra piling beyond the dock or, as mentioned above, drop a mooring or two at strategic points to secure the vessel safely.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
In post #3 the OP said assume steel pilings in good shape.

If driven in normally, in my experience that would hold a vessel of considerable size and weight.

Once one goes to the trouble and expense of steel pilings, usually smaller vessels were not the target audience.

I am starting to wonder though why someone would go to the trouble and expense unless necessary for the bottom or just didn't want to waste money on a lot of needless dock but did expect a larger vessel.
Don't know how old the dock is in the picture, but steel pilings have been the only good option in Washington for quite a few years. And even then, DOE is not happy due to leaching from the galvanization. Use of untreated wood piling used to be another option, but only lasts a few years.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:40 PM   #27
Guru

City: Boston Area
most marina's have their boats stern to the dock.......so every 20 feet of dock may be supporting 50+ feet of boat.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
There are too many unknowns to give a general answer. Just looking at the dock you posted the photo of, I would see it being fine or I could see major issues in strong winds. Much depends on how connected and how the dock is held in position. The narrow walk to medium dock is the weak point if not properly supported.

However, there are more things you need to be aware of and I have no idea how prevalent they are in that area. However, many areas have limitations on size of docks total, distances from the extended property lines and then on distances the boats must keep from the extended property lines. Again, your area may have none of that but I'd look at all local ordinances relative to docks and docking. In our area there are many different sets of rules.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:00 PM   #29
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Make sure your insurance agent is on board with this plan. Underwriters might want to see maintenance schedule.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #30
Guru

City: Boston Area
...seriously people ?!?!!

He doesn't even have the house yet.....

He doesn't have the boat yet......

this is getting comical
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:43 PM   #31
Guru

As I mentioned before, the homeowners along that stretch of the harbor have had LOTS of money to install their docks. Old ones have been replaced in the past 20 years and the new requirements for installing pilings are very stringent. If it was me, I'd just tie my boat up and call it a day. Nothing wrong with getting an engineer to look at it if it makes you more comfortable.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 02-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
...seriously people ?!?!!

He doesn't even have the house yet.....

He doesn't have the boat yet......

this is getting comical
Better for him to ask now, before he buys the dock and boat and finds they are not compatible.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #33
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I could argue that the most important thing is that it won't cause issues with the neighbors. That alone could kill a deal. Or, if the dock is perpendicular with shore, sticking out so far that it causes issues with the neighbors using that waterway.

Docks can be reinforced and lines to easily handle a 60 or 70 boat, even if it sticks half way out.

I can't imagine insurance would be an issue at all, at least for me. I never ask their permission.

Although we are on the other side of the country, we have MANY boats that are longer than their docks, or even property lines. Very few problems, especially with friendly neighbors.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #34

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Better for him to ask now, before he buys the dock and boat and finds they are not compatible.
Exactly. I prefer overthinking it when big boats (and $$) are involved.

Also, just to be clear, that particular picture/dock was just one that could get a clear picture of from the road, not one I'm looking to buy.

One thing I have learned working with the realtor: many docks are shared between neighbors. Say you and your neighbor both end up with a heavy/windage type boat, could present a different load than the first builder considered.

A lot of good responses here. I'm relieved to hear it is the construction/engineering that makes the difference vs length. If necessary, beefing up piles/dock is probably much more doable than extending a dock.

Appreciate all feedback!
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #35
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Exactly. I prefer overthinking it when big boats (and $$) are involved.

Also, just to be clear, that particular picture/dock was just one that could get a clear picture of from the road, not one I'm looking to buy.

One thing I have learned working with the realtor: many docks are shared between neighbors. Say you and your neighbor both end up with a heavy/windage type boat, could present a different load than the first builder considered.

A lot of good responses here. I'm relieved to hear it is the construction/engineering that makes the difference vs length. If necessary, beefing up piles/dock is probably much more doable than extending a dock.

Appreciate all feedback!
Just don't overlook local restrictions or regulations.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:33 AM   #36
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Bob, The east side of the harbor actually has more current than the village side. As long as your not blocking a fairway or blocking access to your neighbors dock there shouldn't be any issues... By the way The Beryl E is tender in SE... I can also see our boat in the photo.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #37

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
Bob, The east side of the harbor actually has more current than the village side. As long as your not blocking a fairway or blocking access to your neighbors dock there shouldn't be any issues... By the way The Beryl E is tender in SE... I can also see our boat in the photo.
That's great! We have a good realtor. He sees himself as a future boater and so is interested in finding out how to review engineering on docks and such.

Maybe I can hit you up for local info if we make progress?
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #38
Guru

City: Puget Sound
Quote:
That's great! We have a good realtor. He sees himself as a future boater and so is interested in finding out how to review engineering on docks and such.

Maybe I can hit you up for local info if we make progress?
Not a problem, the harbor is great place to live. I can get you the name and number of the guy that builds most the docks around there.... Probably built the one that you're looking at.
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #39
Guru

City: gulf coast
Just add pilings for bow and stern lines in a pattern longer than the boat. Crossed stern lines set to keep the boat pressure off the dock. Some bater poles at the end of dock with good commercial grade bumpers. Then lengthen the boarding area planks to not quite the outer edge of the batter poles for easy boarding. Then the size aand condition of the dock isn't as important.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Just add pilings for bow and stern lines in a pattern longer than the boat. Crossed stern lines set to keep the boat pressure off the dock. Some bater poles at the end of dock with good commercial grade bumpers. Then lengthen the boarding area planks to not quite the outer edge of the batter poles for easy boarding. Then the size aand condition of the dock isn't as important.

"Just add pilings...". Lol, those days are long gone. It is possible to get permits to replace existing pilings with the requisite permits etc, but adding pilings is another thing altogether. Docks that are out far enough to provide deep enough water for our boats at low tied will usually be on DNR land (under water). So at the least you need permits from Dept of Natural Resources, and depending on the location, may also need permission from the Army Corps of Engineers, the Dept of Ecology can also get involved. Then if you make all of them happy, you need to make sure that your neighbors don't object as that can muck up the works.

So, you need time, patience, and potentially a lot of money for attorney fees before you can "just add pilings..."

That is one reason why a home with an existing dock has so much value. Also one of the reasons why we purchased our slip in Gig Harbor 6 years ago during the recession. There isn't a lot of new moorage being created in the South Sound and when the economy is doing well (like now) it can get scarce and expensive.

That side of the Harbor is very nice. You get more light there in the winter with its Southwest exposure and you are a short row across the harbor to the Tides Tavern. What more could you ask for?

Dave
SPOT page