Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Boat Insurance Increase

My annual premium from Boat/US Geico just went up by 33%.

Must have been the 2017 hurricanes.

The letter from the underwriter stated:

"Congratulations! Because of your excellent claims record, you're receiving the benefit of our Diminishing Deductible which decreases your hull deductible by 25%.

The increase in your premium is to cover the rising costs of providing insurance protection for your investment".

Who knew?...my boat is an investment. Could've fooled me.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
All I have for the boat insurance company’s is a big middle finger from my right hand
Old 12-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #3

City: Washington
This past couple of years has been rough for boats and the companies that insure them.

The good news is, I asked about coverage for haul outs for named storms this year and they reimbursed me for the last one. I wasn't really expecting that.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
What we're seeing so far is a very mixed bag. I know one property that got a bill for an increase from $3600 a year to $6000. Broker shopped and got it for $4000 from a better company and with a reduced deductible, which wasn't really desired. Some people are getting 30% increases on boat insurance and some are getting 5%. Many changing companies. Typical post hurricane mixed market.

Your reduced deductible doesn't sound so free when the rate is up 33%. I'd curiously ask them what it would be with your old deductible.

I know one person who claimed they switched from Boat US/Geico to directly with Geico and saved. Sounds crazy and don't know if the policies were the same plus can't be sure of their story.

I'd do some shopping and see what you find out.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I know one person who claimed they switched from Boat US/Geico to directly with Geico and saved. Sounds crazy and don't know if the policies were the same plus can't be sure of their story.
When shopping this year Boat US/Geico was significantly cheaper than Geico, which made no sense to my broker. There were some policy differences.

The underlying cause seemed to be that Geico was going through a period trying to reconcile how they wrote and quoted Boat US vs. their traditional policies. At the end of the day my broker got same policy, same rate.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We're insured with Geico Marine and ours went down $125 when we renewed on October 2. Who knows what’s going to happen next year after they figure out their losses from this year.

Geico also added a "Disappearing Deductible" benefit to our policy. They said since we have no claims, with a long history, our hull deductible was reduced to $0 (excluding named storms).
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
Guru

No apparent logic and Geico still figuring out how to make their straight and their Boat US policies the same.

I hate shopping insurance and glad I have an employee who handles that. However, we filed no claims, home, businesses, boats or cars during this season and have incurred no increases above 3-5% on anything. Lloyd's did change one underwriter.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
I notice increase from $149 a year for liability to $197 from Geico Marine
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:58 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
No apparent logic and Geico still figuring out how to make their straight and their Boat US policies the same...
I agree and it will be interesting to see how they do. BoatUS, I think, historically has insured smaller vessels and pretty much a domestic market. My experience with Geico Marine, which was Seaworthy, a Berkshire Hathaway Company before, insured larger vessels for domestic/international travel and we’re not as risk averse. We have an other Geico insurance policy and as of last week they hadn’t acknowledge Geico Marine as part of the “family”.

Maybe will here from Peter (Pau Hana), the insurance guy and get his read.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodestination View Post
I notice increase from $149 a year for liability to $197 from Geico Marine
My increase was $660 over last year. 33%
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
This year I did the Great Loop and had my navigation area increased to include the Great Lakes (no additional premium ). My renewal now includes Canada out to Quebec City, the Atlantic to St John, New Brunswick, West past the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico, and all of the Bahamas.

Policy did increase for next year by $32 (1.5%). Think I'll pay the premium and be happy with the largely expanded navigation area.

Coverage is from Ace American Insurance though International Marine Insurance Services / Chubb.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasalt007 View Post
My annual premium from Boat/US Geico just went up by 33%.

Must have been the 2017 hurricanes.
Boat US has always been hard on Gulf coast and South East coast boaters. I'm guessing the higher risk due to storm loss is the deciding factor.

I referred friends in Texas to them and I was shocked by the high insurance quote they received. I've been with them for 16 years and rates have been relatively stable here in the PNW. I raised my liability another notch when I renewed in September and it went up only $30.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Boat US has always been hard on Gulf coast and South East coast boaters. I'm guessing the higher risk due to storm loss is the deciding factor.

I referred friends in Texas to them and I was shocked by the high insurance quote they received. I've been with them for 16 years and rates have been relatively stable here in the PNW. I raised my liability another notch when I renewed in September and it went up only $30.
One thing I saw on the Gulf Coast a couple of years ago was some companies raising rates significantly and the underlying reason was they wanted fewer customers in the area. Insurers don't just look at the exposure in areas but at their exposure. They hope to have coverage balanced across areas so one storm wouldn't impact them disproportionately. It's a bit like resort hotels now with their active changing prices where the fuller they are, the higher the price. In this case the insurer may have a target of x% of their business being in a specific area. If they find it's significantly above that they'll take steps to reduce it. Either it drops or the profits from it increase enough to justify the risk.