Boat Insurance During Corona Virus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdornick

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tidings of Joy
Vessel Make
DeFever 52 Euro
Hello All,
We are looking forward to our summer cruise from San Diego to the Puget Sound starting mid June. When we reached out to our boat insurance agent she informed us they would not be covering us for this type of cruise during the Corona Virus. How are you all getting insured for your summer cruising? Anyone we should be using?
Thanks again for your help,

Hello All,
We are looking forward to our summer cruise from San Diego to the Puget Sound starting mid June. When we reached out to our boat insurance agent she informed us they would not be covering us for this type of cruise during the Corona Virus. How are you all getting insured for your summer cruising? Anyone we should be using?
Thanks again for your help,

Generally speaking, there are few restrictions on the West Coast for vessels transiting from CA to WA. Puget Sound is open for cruising.

The Canadian border is still closed.

Who is your insurance company?

They gave you bad info. I have had insured transiting north and south along the West Coast since January.

John Horton is the agent who denied our Nav wavier to cruise up the coast.

If Jack sticks to this, then cancel the policy and get a different insurance company. I had a similar issue with Red Shield on Nav restrictions.

What possible actuarial reason could there be for this? Is the boat expected to get Covid 19 part way up the coast and sink? Will it not be able to find an ICU to get intubated?

Insurance has always been a bit of a dodgy business in my opinion, but lately it's been at a new level. Like the new penchant for using credit rating agencies to rate boating risk.

Just a clarification. Jack Martin is a Yacht Insurance Broker, not an insurance company. You may be insured by any of a number of different insurance companies that do business with JM. It would be very helpful to know which is your Insurance Company.

~A

Just a clarification. Jack Martin is a Yacht Insurance Broker, not an insurance company. You may be insured by any of a number of different insurance companies that do business with JM. It would be very helpful to know which is your Insurance Company.

~A

Right, and it's the insurance carrier who would be denying a waiver or rider, not the broker, He's just the messenger.

So just to be clear, your insurance currently prohibits such a trip? Because it's outside your insured navigation limits? And you are seeking a waiver or rider to allow it?

If this is correct, then they are fully within their rights to say no. But I too can see no reason why Covid changes their risk profile in any way.

I think "Covid" is going to be the arbitrary corporate excuse for everything for the next year or more.....

John Horton is the agent who denied our Nav wavier to cruise up the coast.

What standard navigation do you have? Have you made this trip (SoCal to Puget sound) before?

Odd situation you have...

As someone else stated, your insurance carrier denied the change to navigation limits, not your broker. If you are really set on cruising north you might want to ask your broker to find a company that is willing to give you the navigation limits you are asking for. I'm a bit curious as to why your broker didn't discuss that possible option with you as he most likely has appointment with a number of different companies.

~A

Right, and it's the insurance carrier who would be denying a waiver or rider, not the broker, He's just the messenger.

So just to be clear, your insurance currently prohibits such a trip? Because it's outside your insured navigation limits? And you are seeking a waiver or rider to allow it?

If this is correct, then they are fully within their rights to say no. But I too can see no reason why Covid changes their risk profile in any way.

I think "Covid" is going to be the arbitrary corporate excuse for everything for the next year or more.....

As someone else stated, your insurance carrier denied the change to navigation limits, not your broker. If you are really set on cruising north you might want to ask your broker to find a company that is willing to give you the navigation limits you are asking for. I'm a bit curious as to why your broker didn't discuss that possible option with you as he most likely has appointment with a number of different companies.

Well I have a different opinion. If your broker is worth his weight in salt, he should be able to find you new coverage. You may have to get a survey, but there should be no reason why you can't get coverage for the west coast. My policy covers me from Dan Diego to Alaska.

Might want to look at Boat US.

There might be some missing information. Maybe you were denied because of lack of Coastal Experience but you can get the waiver if you hire a Licensed Captain. I would ask more questions.

I'd be looking for a different insurance co chinese virus is bs on open water ad since they wont cover you during the flu are they extending your coverage time

There are still many marinas in the Puget Sound region closed due to coronavirus, and WA state is still under Phase 1 'Stay-at-Home' orders. Is it possible that the denial of coverage relates to potential violations of restricted activity? US Rowing recently provided guidelines to all rowing clubs cautioning that the insurance company providing general liability insurance might cancel insurance for any club that was not fully in compliance with local regulations for social distancing.

There are still many marinas in the Puget Sound region closed due to coronavirus, and WA state is still under Phase 1 'Stay-at-Home' orders. Is it possible that the denial of coverage relates to potential violations of restricted activity? US Rowing recently provided guidelines to all rowing clubs cautioning that the insurance company providing general liability insurance might cancel insurance for any club that was not fully in compliance with local regulations for social distancing.

It’s possible, but I’ve not heard a thing regarding any insuring company putting such a moratorium on west coast travel.

Overall, Puget Sound boating is open- marinas are in varying states of open regarding services and moorage.

Back
Top Bottom