boat hauling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

detmcpat

Vessel Name
SlowRide
Vessel Make
Albin 33 Classic
I'm new to the big boat world. I am planning to buy a trawler 34' to 37' most likely. I used to own a small Marina on small waters and am familiar with servicing boats. I have entertained finding my boat, having it sea trialed and then having it hauled home for any repairs or renovating that I may choose to take on before embarking on any adventures. Anyone have any knowledge about boat haulers or how expensive that kind of service is?

In 1997 we purchased a Pilgrim 40 in Tampa Bay. Had it shipped across country to Seattle. Had to take everything off the upper deck to get under the height limits. It was still a "wide load" so required pilot trucks in some states. Cost at that time was a bit over $12,000. I'm sure costs have gone up.

boat hauler

Thanks for the information. I think the beam will be under 13' but not sure. I'm also not sure if I will look around the Great Lakes or Florida. My preference would be the Lakes in hopes of finding a fresh water boat and also the distance is considerably less for the transport. If anyone knows or a reputable company that I may contact for a quote I would greatly appreciate it. Being a newbie is always a clumsy affair and I am certainly trying to feel my way around. Glad there is help out there.

As I've mentioned in the past we had our GB36 trucked from Alameda, CA to Tacoma, WA in 1998. We used one of the best marine trucking companies in the west, at least, although they may cover the rest of the country as well. The company is Associated Trucking. They, and I'm sure other marine haulers, use a special trailer that drops the forefoot of the hull almost to the pavement. This reduces the overall height of the load.

Another company I have heard good things about which is also based out here is Dudley. But a number of experienced GB owners on the GB forum seem to agree that Associated is the one to use if they serve the area you want to move a boat in.

At the time we did this Associated told us that a GB36 was the largest GB they could haul without removing the flying bridge. Anything larger and the flying bridge had to come off and then of course be put back on again, both time-consuming operations which means expensive.

They also said we were lucky in that being out west, the bridge clearances on the roads tend to be higher than many clearances back east where a lot of the overpasses are much older and so can be considerably lower. As it was they did not want to truck the boat any farther north than Tacoma because they said that there were some real iffy clearances on some of the I-5 overpasses in the Seattle area.

The cost for the trip back then was about $4,0000 which was about what it would have cost to have a delivery skipper run it up the coast for us. The truck trip took only three days including loading and unloading. A pilot car was required. And our insurance company was a lot happier with the boat on a truck for that journey instead of out at sea off the west coast.

For a local haul from the water to a nearby piece of property the cost should be much less, although unless there is a marine hauler in your area you may have to pay for one to come to you and then return to base.

While I know little about the art of hauling a boat I am pretty confident from our own experience and from the boats on trucks I see on I-5 and coming to the Seaview North yard in Bellingham that you don't want to turn this job over to just anybody with a truck and lowboy trailer. Smarter, I think, to hire a firm that does this kind of thing for a living and has an extablished repuation for being good at it.

Last edited:
These are one of the top in the East...I believe they also developed the commonly seen screw top boat stands you see under boats....they are out of Mass.

Home

Thanks for the information. This is a lot to think about. regarding the welcome aboard, Greencastle is in west central Indiana. We are about 2 1/2 hrs south of Chicago. Thus my thinking about looking for a trawler in the Great Lakes area and the transport home should be reasonable if I can find a regional responsible carrier. I agree that an experienced hauler of boats is the only way to go here. I would really like to bring the boat home for awhile as I'm sure there will be plenty of work to do before putting in. I would like the convenience of having it at home where I have a nice shop and could do whatever work needs to be done conveniently. Thanks again everyone for all the help. This is a great forum that I will continue to use as I begin this new chapter. Maybe there will come a time when I can be of help to some other Newbie.

PSNEELD
I saved their home page and will contact them. Thanks alot.

Back
Top Bottom