Boat has been delivered in one piece!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunajoe

Vessel Name
Tatanka
Vessel Make
32' Nordic Tug
It's been a big week for me. My Nordic Tug finally arrived this Wednesday
to Ventura. The trip from Lauderdale was uneventful.

I can't say enough great things about Hagan Transport.
Butch, the owner/driver, was fantastic. He was a true professional and very picky about the way the boat was loaded and unloaded.
Not only that, but he was a very "normal" guy.
I can't say enough good things about him and feel lucky to have found him.
If anyone has ever booked a boat transporter sight unseen on places like UShip, you know how unnerving that can be. It becomes a total trust based transaction and frankly, you don't know what the guy will be like transporting your boat.

They dropped the boat in the water and she started right up!
Drove it over to my new slip and was able to dock it with no problems using the bow thruster.

The radar mast was taken off along with the false stack, so I have to install those items this weekend. I plan on repainting the Brooks mast as the powdercoating is peeling exposing the the aluminum.
I'm hoping I can find a close match with some spray paint. If not, I'll take some paint chips to an automotive paint place and have them match it and spray it myself with my HVLP gun.
Open to any suggestions on this.

Looks like I'm going to have to re-do the bottom paint as it was literally peeling off.
That was just done by the "pro's" at the yard in Lauderdale July 20. Looks like they did zero sanding of the old stuff.
So that means I'll have to pull the boat=$$
Also the generator battery is dead. I have no idea why this seems to be a chronic problem according to the broker. The batteries were all replaced in 2010. Not sure what the life of them are but probably time to get new ones.

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2331.jpg
    IMG_2331.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_2347.jpg
    IMG_2347.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    IMG_2368.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2369.jpg
    IMG_2369.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_2373.jpg
    IMG_2373.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
:thumb: Enjoy!

Ah that's a good, fun day.

Awesome feeling seeing the truck arrive with your boat! Congratulations! I had a similar issue with the bottom paint when I purchased my boat--poor prep resulting in lots of peeling. I wound up having the bottom soda blasted, which probably saved a lot of time in lieu of sanding.

They look so huge on the trailer and so much smaller in the water.

Great day! Looks like your right about the bottom prep though. Beautjful vessel.

Congratulations.

Is she a 32 or 42? Can't read the photo on my computer.

Congrats! Nordic is my favorite boat. I'm pretty sure I will be getting one this time next year.
I'm glad the transport went well. I would be "pissed" about the bottom! Soda blast is a good thing. I had it done on my last boat. The starting battery for the generator deserves some investigation. When the generator is running, check the voltage across the terminals as it's running. It should read 13.6 - 14.4v. At minimum it has to be 13.0v. If not, it's not charging back up. You could also check when plugged in the same way. With the battery charger on, check each battery across the terminals. If they all don't have that reading, something is wrong. I always clean all connections first, then recheck. Sometimes you get lucky! Good luck and enjoy your new baby.

Congrats! You will love that boat!

The bottom could be nothing more than years of built up, non-ablative paint flaking off...very common....especially with the transport and hull flexing.

If the yard did it while the boat was under sale...no telling what and why it was done any particular way...especially without knowing what paint was on there and what was applied. A few conclusions jumped to for sure blaming the yard when they might have done nothing more or less than normal or gosh forbid followed the PO's instructions to the letter no matter how ridiculous.

Sure yards can do a lousy job...but guessing without any facts is ridiculous....

Last edited:
Tunajoe,

Congrats on your new boat. On matching the paint, your boat color is Nordic Tug Oyster (Spectrum Color gelcoat). The metal (mast, windows, doors, et al) are powder coat, tough to match and apply. Spraying metal with gelcoat isn't really feasible. I found a good match with Pettit's EZ Poxy, a 2-part polyurethane, using 3-parts #3821 Yacht White and 1-part #3823 White Sand. Prep the metal and roll on the EZ Poxy combination. As an aside, I filled in the chines on my hull (the notorious NT hull slapping), and rolled and tipped the small section at the waterline with the EZ Poxy. Perfect match.

Boats don't look so big when you're on them or out on the water. . . but put them on a flatbed trailer and you wonder how in the heck is that tractor ever going to pull this monster over a mountain pass? :eek:

You should have amused your unknowing friends by letting on the GPS to record the max speed...52knots=60mph.

Let's see how she deals with the Ventura harbor entrance that can be downright interesting. Coming in with a following sea can be a white knuckle experience.

You should have amused your unknowing friends by letting on the GPS to record the max speed...52knots=60mph.

Recently AIS readings showed a boat traveling on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge at 45 knots. Took me a few seconds to figure that one.

Congrats! What a great feeling to finally get it home.

Congrats on your new boat. Looks like an awesome find.
Re: soda blasting: I don't profess to know myself, but I was told by a tenant in my building that soda blasting isn't the way to go. They are a surface prep company with some big clients (Electric Boat General Dynamics being one) and small clients (guys that blast the bottoms of boats). He said that the best thing now is using glass media. You don't have to worry about the caustic nature of the soda on topsides (yours and nearby boats!) And I think it's cheaper. Something to look into.

I'm no expert, but I had a bottom like that on my old sailboat several years ago. We applied "Peel Away" which is a chemical paint remover. It comes with sheets of a waxy brown paper. After applying the product, you stick the paper on it and let it sit overnight. We came back the next morning and about 70% of the paper was on the ground. Years of bottom paint stuck to the paper and just slid off. I'd say it removed about 95% and then we had to do some sanding to get to the original gelcoat. Then we put 7 coats of Interlux on the bottom. Several years later and the bottom is perfect. I may have to do the same process on my new boat too.... BTW, there is a "marine" version of Peel Away, but that just means more expensive. Get the regular version at Home Depot.

Yeah, I remember well the day Old School was delivered. That thing looked huge on the trailer, first thought was "what in hell have you got yourself into now". Still looks big in the slip, but out in the wide open sea, looks pretty small.
Big time congratulations on your boat.

The bottom could be nothing more than years of built up, non-ablative paint flaking off...very common....especially with the transport and hull flexing.

If the yard did it while the boat was under sale...no telling what and why it was done any particular way...especially without knowing what paint was on there and what was applied. A few conclusions jumped to for sure blaming the yard when they might have done nothing more or less than normal or gosh forbid followed the PO's instructions to the letter no matter how ridiculous.

Sure yards can do a lousy job...but guessing without any facts is ridiculous....

I suppose the PO could have specified that they just slap some paint on the hull but if that's the case, he wasted $1200. I have the invoices from when the job was done July 23. The invoice says he upgraded to Petit 1877 Trinidad.
Not sure how much more it would have cost to do it right.
Maybe $1200 was a cheapie job?
All I know is when I surveyed the boat the bottom looked perfect. Now the paint is flaking off when I touch it.
You can clearly see there was no sanding or priming done.
It doesn't matter, I'll run the boat for a month or two and then haul it and repaint.

Tunajoe,

Congrats on your new boat. On matching the paint, your boat color is Nordic Tug Oyster (Spectrum Color gelcoat). The metal (mast, windows, doors, et al) are powder coat, tough to match and apply. Spraying metal with gelcoat isn't really feasible. I found a good match with Pettit's EZ Poxy, a 2-part polyurethane, using 3-parts #3821 Yacht White and 1-part #3823 White Sand. Prep the metal and roll on the EZ Poxy combination. As an aside, I filled in the chines on my hull (the notorious NT hull slapping), and rolled and tipped the small section at the waterline with the EZ Poxy. Perfect match.

Thank you for this!!
I'm assuming I'll need to get the corresponding aluminum primer?
There are a few small areas on my doors where the powder coating is bubbling up, so I'll probably repair those too.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!.

Glad you have your boat!

Happy days ahead !

His much did it weigh sitting on the trailor ?

I told the trucker 17500#
That took into account 150 gallons of diesel at about 7 pounds per gallon

Speaking of shipping, when my boat was transported, the Brooks radar mast
Taken off along with the radome and false stack.

The powder coating was peeling everywhere.

I took a wire wheel on an angle grinder and took off all the loose stuff, I then sanded the whole mast and wiped it down with acetone that I purchased from an automobile paint supply store.
After that I primed it with self etching primer and then rattle can sprayed the whole mast with Rustoleum spray paint.
I initially planned to use the Pettit 2 part polyurethane but couldn't find it local anywhere.

The Heirloom White is a dead on match for the Nordic tug ivory color.

On Sunday, I took the kids and wife down the boat, and while they played, I installed the newly painted mast, radome, connected the anchor light wires, horn, rear facing video camera, and false stack.
I also re-bedded all the cables and the VHF wire penetration with silicon.

The bad news is I couldn't get the generator to start, but will admit it could be "operator error".

I also inspected my anchor chain and rode. I have 50' of chain but looks like the terminal link has some pretty good rust. I should probably cut it out and resplice.

I also started to replace my wiper arms and of course they are frozen solid.
The pantograph spindle is totally rusted so that part got ordered this morning from AM. I also ordered a wiper arm removal tool from amazon and will report back on how it works

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 57
Hmmm had a bunch of pictures to post but they didn't upload...
Once more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 61
Oh well, the previous pic is what it looked like when I started and this is the finished mast installed...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Wiper part rusted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 62
Good job! And yes I would be cutting off a link or two and resplicing. I have to get my neighbor to do it as I suck at it and he makes it look so dang easy.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom