Old 05-03-2020, 10:55 PM   #1
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Boat fire in our marina

This past Wednesday morning is one my wife and I will never forget:

https://48north.com/news/theres-a-fire-in-the-marina/

Spoiler alert - all's well that ends well...
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
And to think that a lot of marinas don’t want liveaboards...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:18 PM   #3

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Scary. Nice job helping out and glad to hear no one was hurt.
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Brentwood Bay BC
Vessel Name: Bonita Rose
Vessel Model: 1981 Bayliner 3270
Wow - scary stuff! Do they have any idea of the cause? With no-one on board (?) I'm assuming electrical? The fire location looks right about where a panel might be.. Please follow up if you get further info. Thx.
BrentwoodBayliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Yes, live aboards are a bad idea. Just like with dirt homes, it is best to leave them obviously vacant for long periods, with no one around. That never creates issues, and truly vacant houses never catch on fire. Extremely facetious smile with tongue firmly in cheek
Well done! Controlling the fire spread while it was still safe to do so, moving away possible exposures limiting possible spread, all while keeping a firm eye on personal safety, great response! I am sure the FD was appreciative for all of the help making their job both easier but more importantly safer as well.
I really do not understand the fact that so many marinas don't allow at least limited live aboards, with rules of course to reduce possible pollution concerns.
Again, well done and glad it had as "happy" an ending as possible.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Definitely sounds like a good save and well coordinated response by everyone around! Hopefully you'll hear what the cause was at some point.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:27 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I wouldn't bet the ranch that all liveaboards are up to the task of firefighting or moving boats safely. But certainly raising the alarm and doing almost anything minimal may have large positives in the end.

I had a marina manager that was convinced it was better to keep control of the boat on fire by a thin and burning through anchor line than let me,the local assistance tower get it out of the marina in a matter of minutes.

He said he learned that in a marina managers education seminar. Yes the anchor line burned through in about 2 minutes outside the marina.

So even training can be an iffy contribution in emergencies.

And yes the local fire department didn't show up with foam in their fire boat so after I sent them back for some...and kept water on the boat for another 1/2 hour.....they got back with the foam and had the fire out in minutes.

Experience and training comes in real handy....but yes early warning and minimal action can help too a lot of the time.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Seems like there should be fire alarm pulls placed around a marina that sounds a audible fire alarm that can be heard by people in the area (esp. live-aboards) and summons the local FD. Sort of like what you find in buildings (obnoxious alarms, flashing lights, FD has to turn up to reset the alarm). Put a pull on each (or every other) power pole.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Seems like there should be fire alarm pulls placed around a marina that sounds a audible fire alarm that can be heard by people in the area (esp. live-aboards) and summons the local FD. Sort of like what you find in buildings (obnoxious alarms, flashing lights, FD has to turn up to reset the alarm). Put a pull on each (or every other) power pole.
That's actually a very good idea!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Excellent liveaboards' response time and actions. Hurts me to see a Tolly in distress!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
This is an excellent idea!
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 07:16 AM   #12
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:

I also agree that this is a good idea. Much more useful than the handful of fire extinguishers typically placed around a marina.

Along those same lines, making sure dock water mains can feed at least 2 - 3 hoses at full flow on the same section of dock would be good. A couple people with hoses can at least buy some time for the surrounding boats while they get moved.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Our marina was recently refurbished and the new fire extinguisher/ life ring pedestals are alarmed so removal of any of these emergency items sets off a marina alarm. A nice safety feature that also discourages malicious activities.
I am not sure if it ties into any FD alerts?
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:25 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Along those same lines, making sure dock water mains can feed at least 2 - 3 hoses at full flow on the same section of dock would be good. A couple people with hoses can at least buy some time for the surrounding boats while they get moved.
Yes, that was an issue. The very first thing I did was grab another hose to get more water on the flames. But when I turned it on, it effectively lowered the pressure to the first hose. Made it so both hoses had a hard time reaching the flames. Shut it off within 10 seconds to allow the one stream of water to reach.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #15
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Just a comment on the alarm system idea. I think it is a good idea. However, be aware that under such an alarm, due to monitoring costs, the alarm like are in many existing buildings is for "local alarm" only, and unless someone calls, does not notify the FD (unless the Marina owner decided to pay for 24/7 monitoring).

It is a bit of a mixed bag, some buildings are monitored by a private company (Like ADT for example), while others are just local. Most Fire Departments do not provide alarm monitoring themselves (directly). Even for a building (or location) that is monitored, call the FD anyway if the alarm sounds and provide any additional eyes on scene to them that you can.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #16

City: NYC, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
Just a comment on the alarm system idea. I think it is a good idea. However, be aware that under such an alarm, due to monitoring costs, the alarm like are in many existing buildings is for "local alarm" only, and unless someone calls, does not notify the FD (unless the Marina owner decided to pay for 24/7 monitoring).

It is a bit of a mixed bag, some buildings are monitored by a private company (Like ADT for example), while others are just local. Most Fire Departments do not provide alarm monitoring themselves (directly). Even for a building (or location) that is monitored, call the FD anyway if the alarm sounds and provide any additional eyes on scene to them that you can.

Around here, commercial buildings (including residential over 3(?) units) are required to be professionally monitored AND have at least 2 methods of communication to the central station. Used to be 2 separate phone lines, now a cellular line and an internet connection.
Wouldn't be bad if that were a requirement for marinas though then people would be complaining about their rates going up a couple percent to cover installation, monitoring, quarterly inspections,etc.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #17
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyp View Post
Around here, commercial buildings (including residential over 3(?) units) are required to be professionally monitored AND have at least 2 methods of communication to the central station. Used to be 2 separate phone lines, now a cellular line and an internet connection.
Wouldn't be bad if that were a requirement for marinas though then people would be complaining about their rates going up a couple percent to cover installation, monitoring, quarterly inspections,etc.
On the other hand, maybe their insurance premiums would go down a bit if their boat was kept in an alarmed and/or monitored marina.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #18

City: NYC, NY
Quote:
On the other hand, maybe their insurance premiums would go down a bit if their boat was kept in an alarmed and/or monitored marina.

You sir are quite the optimist.
bobbyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
I have my boat at a marina that uses a fire pump to charge a line with an endless supply of river water. It's a solid system that can pump thousands of gallons in minutes. There are fire extinguishers everywhere, fire buckets, and the fire pumps at each section of the marina. We also have a yearly fire training too for full timers.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Plain water on a glass boat fire is usually not effective unless in the hands of prod and their equipment.

Pouring water on adjacent boats and docks can help though.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote