Boat fire in our marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not magnesium, but I've lit titanium on fire in my lathe. Stringy chips burn quite well, and are difficult to extinguish.

Huge amount s of water will eventually sink the boat before it completely extinguishes most boat fires

I would bet that sinking the boat is the most effective way of extinguishing a fire! [emoji846]

Cleanup can be a mess though. :facepalm:

Water was what was used by the firefighters at our marina fire. They had trucks on land pumping water on it as well as two or three boats pumping. Did the job.

I said with proper training and equipment it can be effective.

But I have seen foam work MUCH better. The local fire department forgot to bring it to the last fire I was fighting.....the realized their mistake and sent back to the firehouse for it.

No doubt foam is the better option, but not always available when needed. Glass boat fires are a bugger.

Unless she's a Uniflite

FB-IMG-1587233435668.jpg

Nice boat! Art
Here's my tank

DJI-0034-2-1536157415211.jpg

Nice one Ruff!

This is our current Tolly "tank", and tender! Best to buy boats that can take it... all.

Attachments

• Linda TO Photo 1.JPG
    Linda TO Photo 1.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Nice one Ruff!

This is our current Tolly "tank", and tender! Best to buy boats that can take it... all.

Is your Tolly for sale now?
If you look close in my pic, there's a Tolly 37 docked next to me...that 37 was in pristine condition.

Is your Tolly for sale now?
If you look close in my pic, there's a Tolly 37 docked next to me...that 37 was in pristine condition.

Lots of Tollycraft in that area!

Ours and its tow behind tender are not currently for sale. We've had em for over a decade. Luv em!

Planning to soon leave for "The Office"! Come back next week. We dock 100 miles away... in fresh water. Usually warm and swimmable June through October.

Have a near perf condition 1989 19' Blue Water i/o cuddy cabin ski boat in our lower yard. We sorta inherited it from a family member... long story. Just over 300 hrs. Immaculate in and out. Not been in water since 2003. Was double covered inside a garage since... could call it a real clean "barn find".

We towed her home just before last Christmas. I purchased a very good cover. Need to drain fuel tank, throw penetrating/lube on cylinder walls and go completely through the out drive for fluids as well as rubber seals. Actually quite a bit of efforts to accomplish before putting on the ear muffs and a fresh water hose.

She may become our new tow behind... but maybe not!

This is first i/o I've owned. They are not my preferred style of drive. From what I've seen, by others that own them... can become a real pita and Expensive!! I've already watched videos on complete service for ours. Plan to have computer by my side when I get into it; as well as some printed pages. :D

Attachments

• Duke.jpg
    Duke.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 12
  • TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
Lots of Tollycraft in that area!

Ours and its tow behind tender are not currently for sale. We've had em for over a decade. Luv em!

Planning to soon leave for "The Office"! Come back next week. We dock 100 miles away... in fresh water. Usually warm and swimmable June through October.

Have a near perf condition 1989 19' Blue Water i/o cuddy cabin ski boat in our lower yard. We sorta inherited it from a family member... long story. Just over 300 hrs. Immaculate in and out. Not been in water since 2003. Was double covered inside a garage since... could call it a real clean "barn find".

We towed her home just before last Christmas. I purchased a very good cover. Need to drain fuel tank, throw penetrating/lube on cylinder walls and go completely through the out drive for fluids as well as rubber seals. Actually quite a bit of efforts to accomplish before putting on the ear muffs and a fresh water hose.

She may become our new tow behind... but maybe not!

This is first i/o I've owned. They are not my preferred style of drive. From what I've seen, by others that own them... can become a real pita and Expensive!! I've already watched videos on complete service for ours. Plan to have computer by my side when I get into it; as well as some printed pages. :D

OMC Stringer comes to my mind...

OMC Stringer comes to my mind...

OMC Stringer is real old-school outdrive.

1989 Mercruiser outdrive is what I'll be working on.

Unlike the one in video... o/d on our "barn find" boat looks new!

This is one of the videos I'll follow when checking our o/d out completely.

OMC Stringer is real old-school outdrive.

1989 Mercruiser outdrive is what I'll be working on.

Unlike the one in video... o/d on our "barn find" boat looks new!

This is one of the videos I'll follow when checking our o/d out completely.

89 Merc should be an Alpha Gen 1.

Shouldn't it be the first priority in a marina fire is to keep the fire from spreading, rather than saving the boat in fire?

Mark,
Absolutely. First priority is always life safety - rescue (which includes the lives of the firefighters). Second priority would be to protect exposures (stop the spread to other boats, structures, docks, etc.) Third would be to contain the fire hopefully within the object of origin, followed by extinguishment, and finally overhaul (make sure the fire is out completely and will not restart). Other priorities that are interspersed when and as needed are ventilation (smoke removal and somewhat to direct the fire), and salvage (save and/or protect property that has not already been burnt or damaged).

Those are always the considerations in priority order.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom