Boat Detailing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justinclay

Hello, havent posyed in awile but this seemed it needed experienced knowledge. Ive just been offered an amazing job. A yacht detailer. May not seem like much to you but ive been detailing for years building my name. For a marine to call me personally to detail their half million dollar yachts i feel good. My question is what exactly do you bigger yacht fellas expect from a detail. Im very experinced i dont need you to tell me i should know this already. I just want to hear exactly you expect when you walk aboard a freahly detailed vessel.

My question is what exactly do you bigger yacht fellas expect from a detail. Im very experinced i dont need you to tell me i should know this already. I just want to hear exactly you expect when you walk aboard a freahly detailed vessel.

OK in Nov 2011 I paid to have my boat detailed.

This included 100% of the exterior cut, polish and wax.

The boat gelcoat was to look brand new.

The quote wasnt cheap at $5500. I was shocked at the price so I asked and they expected to spend something like 200 man hours on the detail.

My expectations were very high, and they were met completely. My boat looked brand new. With a cost of somewhere around 3% of the total refit costs I was incurring, I feel that $5500 was the best money I spent.

So, what large boat owners expect is perfection. They are willing to pay for it, and they will be happy if you deliver work that exceeds their expectations.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I have delt with smaller fishing, open bow, cuddys but have yet to deal with a boat of this magnitude. I have charged 18 a foot for the last year and simply cannot keep up with the calls and work. One of my good buddies helps when he can. Im not questioning if i can just how long. 200 man hours is about 5 weeks of work for an average guy. So 5500 dont seem too bad.

We pay the kid on the boat in the next slip $15 an hour for cleaning. I think as a pro you should be paid a lot more.

I expect my boat to be clean. No spider webs (big issue where we are) and not water spotted. If the cleaners have taken the time to remove the canvas, wash and dry underneath and put the canvas back that improves the happiness level quite a bit.

Are you talking about an exterior clean or waxing?

Sorry you said detail. Well I want all the details perfect. My stainless better be shiny and my windows spot free. Take the time and get the details perfect. That's what they are paying you for. They want to step on a spotless boat they feel proud of.

If you are talking compounding and waxing. Absolutely no wool pad too put swirls all over the finish.It looks very bad in the right light.It is damaging to the finish.And they are time consuming to remove.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.

Detail is the key word. That means that no residue is left behind, even in doors, windows, drains, under cushions, etc. Just imagine that you were spending that kind of money and what you would expect to see. I'll spend that money again if the job is great. Also recommend what they can do to help keep it looking that way, such was a weekly wash with wash and wax, no use of degreasers, etc.

Justin, it's been said above but when I pay a pro to detail I want detail!! I'm not a big boat and am still more than willing to shell out the bucks but it had better be done better than anything I can do myself or why pay for it.

Never be ashamed of your rates is another piece of advice. It may sound obvious but you'd be amazed how many get embarrassed and feel as though they need to justify their hourly rate when asked. Look them straight in the eye and quote it.

Detail. It means doing everything. Imagine someone cleans/polishes every aspect of your auto, but forgets to treat/black the tyres. They stand out like dog`s balls (apologies,Aussie expression), the whole job looks wrong, it`s a fail, a missed detail.

Never be ashamed of your rates is another piece of advice. It may sound obvious but you'd be amazed how many get embarrassed and feel as though they need to justify their hourly rate when asked. Look them straight in the eye and quote it.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, i have always been a person to make eye contact.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom