Boat Delivery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SDSailor

Hi everyone,

Am looking at buying a boat in Florida and having it delivered to Lake Ontario (Kingston area). Looking for ballpark cost and amount of time for budgeting purposes. Boat is 40 foot trawler (7-9 knots) and located in Stuart.

I am thinking potentially as much as $20K USD and 6-8 weeks.

Appreciate the assistance,

SDSailor

SDSailor,

Try https://interstatehaulers.com/. They took care of us back in late January transporting our recently purchased 26' trawler from Cape Coral, FL to Bon Secour, AL. Very professional and helpful.

Regards,
John Gates

Welcome to TF. I am a past delivery skipper 20-years out of the business, though have zero experience in the Great Lakes. A few nuggets:

1. There are many, many people with USCG licenses out there and not much experience. Many with claimed experience exaggerate their time, skills, and responsibilities (crew instead of captain).

2. My sense is $400-$500 per day will get a captain and one crew. Might be a bit less there than along the California coast where I delivered - there are many more qualified captains in the east than the west.

3. General rule I used was fees for captain/crew were about 50% of the total delivery cost. This proved remarkably accurate.

4. Probably the most common question people ask about hiring a delivery captain is whether they charge when weather or mechanical failure causes the boat to stop. For experienced captains, the answer is "the meter keeps ticking-over." A decent captain will have decent mechanical skills and likely play a big role in getting the problem fixed; or is doing other maintenance (I've done dozens of oil changes on customer's boats). If I was confronted by a delay of more than a couple days, I often had another boat I could move. But in the end, if I'm on your boat and not at home cuddled with my dear Cheryll, I was on-the-clock. I think that's fair - anyone who says otherwise hasn't been doing it very long.

5. A decent captain will most likely deliver the boat to you in better condition than he departed. He will fix a few things along the way, and give you a very good report on the operating characteristics of the vessel Something to think about when you compare to the el-cheapo guy on the dock with a puffed-up USCG ticket, salty-sounding stories, a Greek Fisherman's hat, and a corn-cob pipe

Although I don't know this exact market, I would figure $2k-$3k/week for fees, $2k-$3k/week for expenses (Fuel, berth, transit/travel, provisions, supplies, etc.). If it's indeed a 6-8 week run, might be as low as $30k, but it could easily run to $40k I suppose. But I'd be curious what you end up with. And I'd be curious if a delivery makes sense economically. You haven't stated the boat, but often people see boats are cheaper in Florida - they are......for a reason. Here's a 1999 Willard 40 in Wisconsin. At $250k, sounds a bit expensive. But she's been stored in a climate controlled warehouse each winter and likely looks nearly new. Put the same boat in Florida for 22 years and it would have chalky gelcoat and fabrics would be shot. I wouldn't be surprised if a $30k-$50k refit would be the difference......and a year of doing the work

Good luck -

Peter

Last edited:
A good delivery skipper will run 24/7 weather and maintenance permitting. Figure cost in at $1,000 per day plus return airfare. You will need to figure in your fuel burn as well. I can’t speak for the east coast but on the west coast we average one weather day for every 3 days of transit. Unfortunately no one does the average, you either get no days or lots of days.

Most captains will allow an owner to take place of one crew member saving some money.

If you are estimating the labor alone for a delivery captain and crew, you are probably on the low side, depending on rates and whether they are willing to sit unpaid during weather delays.

If you are expecting this figure to include expenses (fuel, dockage, travel expenses, maintenance and repairs) I'm afraid that you are very low.

Check out blogs from Great Loopers, many share post breakdowns of their expenses along the way, this can be a good starting point to which you can add the captain and crew's labor. Be sure to factor in that the crew will likely require transient dockage on a regular basis in order to sleep in AC without running a generator all night. This is not a good time of year to sleep onboard night after night in the heat. Transient dockage is very much in demand right now and limited in availability right now.

You will want a well established continency plan for having to leave the boat in storage along the way if there is a major mechanical failure or extended weather delays. This is where deliveries really go sideways, particularly on a boat that has not seen regular use for a long time, which happens to be the case for most boats for sale. You would be well served to provide yourself as the crew to cut down on your labor costs and also gain valuable experience along the way.

I am not sure all East Coast deliverey captains will run 24X7 for various reasons.

Costs are adjusted as they can run with reduced crew, even alone depending on the boat so costs may or may not be the same.

Many boats I was asked to deliver were not the type of boat that I would run very far offshore or continuously without observing how they run/act over several days.

So ICW deliveries with nighty stops like I said may or may not cost more and certainly don't suggest the quality of the captain as long as the trip plan is well thought out and explained.

East Coast and West Coast deliveries can be a difference just based on geography and weather which the captain takes into account and will plan accordingly.

The only right answer is the ability to hire someone that is recognized as being a pro on many different levels and that is no different that who one hires for almost any job. Sure different deliveries might need specialty areas of expertise and that has to be considered too.

A rough cut...$20,000 and 4-6 weeks is about the minimum I would estimate without sharpening the pencil and a better check of fuel prices as they have risen a lot just recently. Another $5-$10,000 isn't out of line depending.

I made allowances for weather and maintenance days. For maintenance I was doing, I billed separately at a mechanics rate of $50/hr and that was 15 years ago. If not doing the maintenance and no reason to be involved, my daily rate dropped if I was out sightseeing, etc....

Last edited:
You could consider requesting delivery or partial delivery in terms of the sale. If the seller is 100% confident in the boat and adamant in the seaworthiness of the boat, he or she may be interested in delivering it to you or at least part way, at a cost of course.

I am not sure all East Coast deliverey captains will run 24X7.

The only right answer is the ability to hire someone that is recognized as being a pro on many different levels and that is no different that who one hires for almost any job. Sure different deliveries might need specialty areas of expertise and that has to be considered too.

I wondered about this, especially going to the Great Lakes - there have to be areas where running at night is not advisable unless you have very specific and deep local knowledge. In my old stomping grounds, that would be running the Colombia River (100 nms from the bar to Portland) which I wouldn't run at night, though I'm sure there are local pilots who do. The Sacramento Delta would be another; and parts of the Puget Sound area. While the boat may need to stop for the night, I would think a motivated delivery skipper would run into the late afternoon/early evening and fetch-up a dolphin or anchor vs find a marina that may mean arriving early in the day.

$1000/day sounds high, but who knows. On CruisersForum, sounds like $500/day is common for experienced, working delivery skippers (there are a couple who are active east-coast contributors who get decent referrals). For very long deliveries like this one, I would think a discount is in order.

Peter

As we all know the answer is “depends”. Lots of depends being offered up here and it’s up to the OP to figure out which depends might apply to him. What I know for sure is that cost of crew, that I trust, have just about doubled over the last 5 years. I am surprised by this but they remain busy. I don’t know the true cost of cheap crew and I don’t want to find out.

$1,000 would cover a 24/7 operation, Captain and 2 crew.

Last edited:
I wondered about this, especially going to the Great Lakes - there have to be areas where running at night is not advisable unless you have very specific and deep local knowledge. In my old stomping grounds, that would be running the Colombia River (100 nms from the bar to Portland) which I wouldn't run at night, though I'm sure there are local pilots who do. The Sacramento Delta would be another; and parts of the Puget Sound area. While the boat may need to stop for the night, I would think a motivated delivery skipper would run into the late afternoon/early evening and fetch-up a dolphin or anchor vs find a marina that may mean arriving early in the day.

$1000/day sounds high, but who knows. On CruisersForum, sounds like $500/day is common for experienced, working delivery skippers (there are a couple who are active east-coast contributors who get decent referrals). For very long deliveries like this one, I would think a discount is in order.

Peter

Many reasons on the East Coast not to run 24X7 but agree that the owner shouldn't have to pay for a captains wishes for comfort versus professionalism. In the long run, having 3 proficient people to man the boat (24X7) as opposed to 1 may not be all that economical...too many variables.

I was using $500 as many run with a spouse or friend at a reduced rate and don't expect a night out to dinner for 2 crew at full price. Lots of captains do it as a retirement job that helps keep the costs down in the profession. In fact so much many pros I used to know finally gave it up full time as they couldn't make a living at it any more.

Realistically...been out of it long enough some of the reasoning I am using may be too far off the mark....but maybe not as not that much seems to have changed according to the internet and dock talk.

Last edited:
When I was delivering in the late 90's early 00's, I charged $400/day for my time which was top of the mark at the time. Crew was $100-$125 per day, though many were volunteers who I met at TrawlerFests or otherwise (they got paid regardless). I spent about 200-225 days a year underway so it wasn't a bad living, especially considering I had no expenses when underway. It was a lot of work and responsibility, especially international trips.

A couple years ago, a good friend purchased a 4-year old Horizon 52 Power Cat. I was not familiar with Horizon, but I guess they are a large and well known sleek motoryacht builder popular with the Florida set. My friend's PC retails for close to $2m and it's considered a starter-boat in Horizon's fleet - they build monohulls well over 100-feet. I helped my buddy move his boat with a delivery skipper Horizon uses a lot, and has for many years. He also does at least 250 days per year all over the Caribbean and East Coast. His day-rate was around $350/day which seemed a tad low, but that was his rate. I think he felt the hoof-beats of cheap competition even though he seemed to be the go-to guy for Horizon owners. I really enjoyed meeting him - I had been out of boats for several years and he helped me come up to speed on available weather tools to refresh my ancient knowledge that relied on WxFax.

Peter

Hi All!

Really appreciate the responses, many of which are very thorough and informative. Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie. I think the boat is a great boat, well-priced but the fact it is in Florida and I am in Ontario - it adds a whole new dimension. I have thought about getting the owner to deliver it to Ontario, sharing the cost with the owner or potentially sailing it myself next summer when I retire. I will have the time for the trip then but it is a big trip for a maiden voyage, so to speak. Lots to think about for sure but have been impressed by the Trawler community on this site!!

Many thanks,

SDSailor

Hi All!
..... or potentially sailing it myself next summer when I retire. I will have the time for the trip then but it is a big trip for a maiden voyage, so to speak.

.....or buy it in Stuart and head to the Bahamas in the winter and start your Great Loop adventure and spend a couple seasons headed home to Ontario.

Peter

If it has to be that boat, buy it and find a safe place to store it on the hard until you retire. Or else try to find an over land yacht transporter...a lot less risk, wear and tear, (and probably cost) than hiring a crew.

IF you provide the labor , yourself and one crew , almost all of the AICW can be anchored in O'nite.

Days are long in the spring & summer so 80-100 miles a day van be done, The big unknown is bridge openings , an hour delay will cost 6-8 miles per opening.

Most boats your size will burn 3 gal per hour 10-12 hour day 30-36 GPD , just over $100-$120 per day . figure at least $1,500 as you may need a couple of fuel filters and an oil change or two.

By avoiding eating out and marina docking you might get home for $2500 or so.
And you wont have to wonder if the delivery folks ran WOT all day.

Delivery

Hi everyone,

Am looking at buying a boat in Florida and having it delivered to Lake Ontario (Kingston area). Looking for ballpark cost and amount of time for budgeting purposes. Boat is 40 foot trawler (7-9 knots) and located in Stuart.

SDSailor

A captain and mate will run between 4 and 5 hundred per day plus expenses. Figure on 100 miles per day for planning purposes. Figure a day in a marina every few days for rest. 2.5. - 3 Gallons diesel/ hour. Airline tickets home for crew. Very expensive, lots of hours on the motor(s) and if there is a breakdown or bad weather then more delays, marina time and expense. Better to find a boat closer to home and apply the delivery cost towards that IMO.

You might want to contact the Chesapeake Area Professional Captains Association www.capca.net. They have a form you can complete online which will be forwarded to their members (you must have a license to be a member) who have expressed an interest in doing deliveries. Many of the members are professional captains who work their license for a living, not just recreational boaters who think they might like to do a delivery or two. At a minimum you should get some feel for costs from several different captains.

Hi,
I am a Canadian delivery Captain and I do this trip many times a year. If you want to discuss the logistics of it, please private message me a prenton55@gmail.com

delivery

There is a business here in Stuart, FL called "Skipper's Shipper". You might try getting a quote from them.

Lots of opinions about delivery captains, to be sure! I take issue with the idea that there are 'recreational' captains in the CAPCA group. You can't be a recreational boater and maintain a license, unless you drive your own boat 360 days in every five years.

Please contact me offline, I would be interested in helping you with your delivery at a reasonable fee. I have a USCG 50 Ton Master license.

Capn Jim
jimfrens@comcast.net

Hi everyone,

SDSailor
I have done several deliveries and have a 100 ton license. My experience is you'll pay $500.00 per day including 1 crew member plus all expenses. Obviously no captain can control the weather. Weather delays do occur, more in the spring and the fall. You can do the math based on your distance and speed. I try and be in a marina every night before dark it's safer that way.
Jeff

Hi everyone,

SDSailor
My name is Lee Hackney. I have a 1600 GT Masters license Oceans. My brother, David Hackney has an unlimited Masters license and is a graduate of Texas Maritime Academy. We both own trawlers, we both have 30 + years of commercial experience as well. I’d be happy to discuss a delivery for you. leehackney1@gmail.com or (904) 707-9954. Thank you.

Lots of opinions about delivery captains, to be sure! I take issue with the idea that there are 'recreational' captains in the CAPCA group. You can't be a recreational boater and maintain a license, unless you drive your own boat 360 days in every five years.

Please contact me offline, I would be interested in helping you with your delivery at a reasonable fee. I have a USCG 50 Ton Master license.

Capn Jim
jimfrens@comcast.net

It absolutely does look like you can be "recreational" boater and be a member on the Chesapeake captains license holder association. I wasn't aware such a group existed until I clicked the link but it looks to me like I could send them proof of my license with $85 and presto, I'm a member!
I don't and haven't used my license as a means of income for well over 25 years but I still keep it current, just for the heck of it. Which definitely puts me in the recreational licensed operator class.
Lot's of people have drivers licenses too, but can't drive worth a damn.
A license is just a worthless piece of paper unless someone has experience to go along with it.

I have 001% experience of the others that responded, but like everyone, I have an opinion so I'll throw in my 2 cents. I would expect that a trip that long on a new/used boat will run into some issues that will need fixing and cause delays. Not to mention all the wear/tear you are putting on a used boat before you even receive it. You could easily be adding a couple years worth of hours of casual cruising to it. A others said, southern boats age much quicker than northern ones. a 5 yr boat from FL could be like a 20 yr old boat from ME. If it were me, I would look into trucking it home if possible. Or better yet, wait till next year and deliver it yourself. Make sure all preventative maintenance is up to snuff and take a few months to drive it home. It's a long distance, but look at it as a lot of leisure cruises of 50 miles at your own pace. It's the type of trip you may never do otherwise and looking back you'll be glad you did.

The Erie, Oswego and Rideau canals do not allow running at night. They close the locks.

Hi everyone,

SDSailor
Winston Trucking out of Fort Worth, Texas. Delivered our trawler from Bellingham, Washington to Biloxi, Mississippi, very long way! Excellent service, on time, extremely reasonable price, sent pictures along the way, communicated frequently and the boat arrived in great shape! All that was needed was a good washing to get the road dust off. If you haven't already found someone give them a call and see what they can do for you. Joe Turner.

Winston Trucking out of Fort Worth, Texas. Delivered our trawler from Bellingham, Washington to Biloxi, Mississippi, very long way! Excellent service, on time, extremely reasonable price, sent pictures along the way, communicated frequently and the boat arrived in great shape! All that was needed was a good washing to get the road dust off. If you haven't already found someone give them a call and see what they can do for you. Joe Turner.

Did they have to remove the fly bridge?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom