Boat Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eddie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Into the Mystic
Vessel Make
Silverton 43
We have a 2003 Silverton 43 convertible at Beach Marine in Jacksonville Beach, FL. We have owned the boat since June. We have watched it several times ourselves and had someone else wash it once for $120 which seemed very reasonable.

Today we were quoted $3,400 to compound and wax, then $2,000 to wax quarterly and $200 to wash monthly. The $200 sounds reasonable but I was hoping for less for the other stuff. Does it sound reasonable? Any other recommendation?

Are you just talking topside? Someone else doing the bottom?

Yes, just topside.

I'd have to see what they're doing. Just a simple wash and wax I'd expect no more than $30 per foot. But detailing, including buffing, could run $40-50.

I like your prices better. Looking for a job? :)

On jobs like that, I prefer to have price per hour, number of hours, and job total. I'm paying $50 per hour for wax and buff, I'll wash it. I'm guessing 30 hours to do my boat. I also tip well.

Ted

Eddie, did you try Wendy from Waters Edge?

We have a 2003 Silverton 43 convertible at Beach Marine in Jacksonville Beach, FL. We have owned the boat since June. We have watched it several times ourselves and had someone else wash it once for $120 which seemed very reasonable.

Today we were quoted $3,400 to compound and wax, then $2,000 to wax quarterly and $200 to wash monthly. The $200 sounds reasonable but I was hoping for less for the other stuff. Does it sound reasonable? Any other recommendation?

FWIW, you have a 43 Motor Yacht, not a Convertible.

Seems high, to me. Our detailer charges about $1 to do our convertible deck, house, flybridge, hardtop, etc. (i.e., not the hull). You may have up to twice as much exterior "detailable" surface area, though.

Also, ours hasn't really needed much compounding, so maybe if your surfaces have really gone to chalk, the first treatment may need to be more extensive than what we've needed.

-Chris

FWIW, you have a 43 Motor Yacht, not a Convertible.

Seems high, to me. Our detailer charges about $1 to do our convertible deck, house, flybridge, hardtop, etc. (i.e., not the hull). You may have up to twice as much exterior "detailable" surface area, though.

Also, ours hasn't really needed much compounding, so maybe if your surfaces have really gone to chalk, the first treatment may need to be more extensive than what we've needed.

-Chris

Thanks Chris!

I’m in palm Coast and was quoted 10.00 a foot for wash, compound, wax and stainless polishing topside.

From my invoice last fall in NC (34ft):

• Compound oxidation from blue hull
  • Polish/apply 2 coats of wax to hull
  • Compound/polish/wax deck and superstructure/pilothouse
  • 1 coat Pettit Trinidad SR Black bottom paint
  • Clean growth from running gear, bow and stern thrusters
$5350.00 (Labor 2 men 5 days)

Materials: (Paint, compound, wax, buffing pads, rags, etc) $508.00

Attachments

• hullpolish.jpg
    hullpolish.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 109
  • hullpolish3.jpg
    hullpolish3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 107
My suggestion is to get quotes from as many people/companies as you can, making sure they are all for the same service. Then get references and go an look at some of the work they have done and talk to the boat owners about how satisfied they were with the work.

Labor rates vary from one part of the country to another so you may pay more or less than someone in another area.

We have not. Do you have contact information for Wendy?

https://www.facebook.com/thewatersedgecompleteboatdetailing/

Many of the Queen's Harbour owners uses Wendy. Also popular over at Lambs.

There are really good detailing compsnies that get top rates, not so good ones that charge high rates snd sometimes joe with a migrsnt laborer ir two that are inexpensive yet very googd.

Boat design has avlot to do with it. Motor yachts with little or no side decks can cost 3X more because of the difficulty accessing the sides of the superstructure. Also, how many protrusions, nooks snd crannies that need to be cleaned and or polished.

I personally would rather paint a boat than detail it really well.... but thats me.... :)

https://www.facebook.com/thewatersedgecompleteboatdetailing/

Many of the Queen's Harbour owners uses Wendy. Also popular over at Lambs.

How do you get phone, email, etc for The Water's Edge, assume that's Wendy's place. I don't do Facebook.

I’m in palm Coast and was quoted 10.00 a foot for wash, compound, wax and stainless polishing topside.

Did you use them? Results? And could you provide name and contact info? Thx.

How do you get phone, email, etc for The Water's Edge, assume that's Wendy's place. I don't do Facebook.

@Seevee,
The link will still work; I don't have a Facebook account but can still get to that page. There is a phone number and URL on the right.

But, incase it doesn't work here is the cut and paste from the page with the info you requested:

(904) 571-0725
www.wedetailboats.com

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Did you use them? Results? And could you provide name and contact info? Thx.

He does many boats in my marina as well. Even on the super picky guys boat. I keep his card in the helm since I use him ever 6 months. I will be at the boat later today or tomorrow.

You might want to check with Scott Remley over at Northstar. Mobile 904-687-4755

Back
Top Bottom